snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 20 June 2012, 10:00 PM

Icon19 Exercise and weight control

Thought it might be worth restarting this as there's been a few questions lately, and also I cannot resist a little LAM!

I just ran a 5k (despite jetlag - only got back from Alaska Tuesday morning)
and not only ran non stop the whole 3.1 miles (which I have never managed before, even when training)
in 32 mins, but did it without any specific training (one random run about last week, before that a mile over a month ago)
just a bunch of hiking, 5 -aside football games and weight lifting.

Am I awesome? Yes I am
Old 20 June 2012, 10:56 PM

Nice one, compass! Yes, you are awesome
I'm in a similar situation. Yesterday I signed up for my first real 5k for this coming Saturday. So far in my life, I've only twice completed a 5k running non-stop: once the weekend before last (32 mins), and once last weekend (29.5 mins). I tried again yesterday, set off too quickly (first mile in about 8:30), and didn't manage it without walking. I still did 31.5 minutes though.
For the real 5k, I am running with a girl who usually runs about 30 mins for her 5k, so hopefully she can pace me.

Last edited by stalker; 20 June 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01 July 2012, 07:29 AM

Australia

Goal. 30 kilos lost in 13 and a half months (66 pounds).

Well done me.

Dropbear
Old 01 July 2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
Goal.
Well done you.
Old 01 July 2012, 01:54 PM

I am starting the Couch to 5K program. I signed up with Sparkpeople to track everything, and this time I did not sign up with weight loss as my goal, but simply improving my fitness and health. Focusing on weight loss has never worked for me.

I am inspired by Ernestine Shepherd, who says she started her fitness program when she was just a bit younger than I am now. I don't expect to do any serious bodybuilding or look good in a bikini at 75, but I think I can at least get off the blood pressure meds and hold off the inevitable diabetes(in the genes).

I also want to do Pooch to 5K with my Blue Heeler, as I am sure she will love it. It's going to be hard on my little dog, though. He cries as if his heart is broken whenever I take her somewhere and leave him behind. He is a little overweight(a pound, the vet says, which is a lot when you only weigh 15 pounds total), so I think maybe I will take her out in the morning, and then take him alone in the evening for a walk.

Well done compass, stalker and Dropbear! I hope to post some accomplishments on here in the future.

Last edited by wanderwoman; 01 July 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: To add links to everything
Old 01 July 2012, 02:27 PM

I need to get started. I need to drop some pounds, and like wanderwoman I'm facing the genetic diabetes sword of Damocles. I'm older now, I think, than any of my three siblings were when they were diagnosed -- the youngest may have been about my age.

ETA: It would help if it weren't approaching 100 degrees. Of course I can walk on a treadmill, etc., but I know myself well enough to know that the exercise I'm most likely to get is walking (and maybe biking, once I get the bike up and running) outside.