snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 03 July 2013, 02:21 PM

Default Who else is a Billy Joel fan?

Who else on here is a Billy Joel fan? Do you have an opinion on a song of his that you believe is under/overrated, or just don't like? I know there's some people around who hate Billy Joel, and while I can't understand it, mostly because not all of his songs are sentimental love ballads, people have a right to not like a particular artist.
Old 03 July 2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwen Edhelwen View Post
I know there's some people around who hate Billy Joel, and while I can't understand it, mostly because not all of his songs are sentimental love ballads, people have a right to not like a particular artist.
Also, there are reasons for not liking an artists besides "all of his songs are sentimental love ballads." I'm more or less neutral on Billy Joel, but there are artists I wouldn't like no matter what music they performed.
Old 03 July 2013, 02:55 PM

Morwen, you may want to brush up on the forum rules regarding thread titles.
Old 03 July 2013, 03:15 PM

I love Billy Joel. I don't know enough about music to understand why, but I can recognize his piano playing before I even know it's his song.

I love the stories his songs tell, the way his music paints pictures in my mind. I fall for the characters in his songs just as I do the characters in my favorite books. Leningrad. Down Easter Alexa. Italian Restaurant. Piano Man. Baby Grand.

A lot of his songs are just great fun to sing, too.

But, Morwen, I've been listening to his stuff since many years before you were born. How'd you get interested in his music at your age? My own kids are fans too, but that's because I abused them with oldies radio when they were young. Poor little girls never got to have their Britney Spears phase.
Old 03 July 2013, 03:23 PM

My ex likes Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffett, and Squeeze. Period. That is all he listens to. Guess which artists my daughter hates with a passion?
Old 03 July 2013, 03:31 PM

Aww. Poor kid! I joke about abusing my kids, but they had a very good music education. Way more than just three artists.
Old 03 July 2013, 03:51 PM

I remember girls in high school (late '70's) were really into him. I think of him as a class act but never had any desire to see him in concert. I do like the older, more biting songs like "Captain Jack" and "The Stranger".
Old 03 July 2013, 04:11 PM

I like Joel's music. I like his storytelling aspects, though oddly enough, probably my favorite song of his is "Pressure". I couldn't tell you why, but a lot of my favorite songs from the 80's have that same slighty off-beat gothic/creepy vibe (if anybody understands what I mean). But I also liked his 80's twist on 50's doo-wop.

I probably wouldn't go out of my way to attend one of his concerts, but I wouldn't pass up inexpensive/free tickets to one either.

Magdalene
Old 03 July 2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
Aww. Poor kid! I joke about abusing my kids, but they had a very good music education. Way more than just three artists.
Fortunately, she spent more time with me than him.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:15 PM

DH loves Billy Joel. I find him fun to sing along to. However, he is pretty great in concert. He does a lot of storytelling and self-deprecating humor between the sets and it felt very intimate and fun.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:42 PM

There's also a difference between saying you don't like something because it holds no appeal for you (in my case, Mick Jagger's singing voice) and saying you dislike something because it's not seen as cool.

The one is a matter of personal taste; the other is following the crowd. Since the coolness quotient determined by the crowd is both subjective and fickle (Shatner's cool; no, he's a scenery-chewing ham; no, he's cool because he's a scenery-chewing ham), take it with a grain of salt.

Me? I'd take Billy Joel over the Rolling Stones any day - mainly because Mr. Joel's singing voice doesn't make my ears want to crawl inside my head and hide.
Old 03 July 2013, 07:37 PM

United States

I quite like Billy Joel, especially at the time Uptown Girl came out.

My Dad is a bigger fan.
Old 04 July 2013, 01:25 AM

My wife and I both love Billy Joel (he's one of the few we agree on - she leans country while I lean hard rock). We saw him live on the "River Of Dreams" tour, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I'm hoping he'll get back to recording albums, but it's not sounding too likely.
Old 04 July 2013, 03:47 AM

I also like Billy Joel, and have been trying to figure out the intense Billy Joel hate that some people seem to have for him/his music. One of the more common criticisms I've heard is that he shamelessly copies other artists' styles, which is true, but it's also something he freely admits. "Uptown Girl" is essentially a Four Seasons song, "Piano Man" could be a Harry Chapin song, and "You May Be Right" sounds almost exactly like middle-period Beatles would have sounded with Mick Jagger as a frontman. Even so, they're all pretty great songs in their own right (the video for "Uptown Girl" notwithstanding. )
Old 04 July 2013, 05:09 AM

Icon106

He's had some really memorable melodies and it seems beautiful melodies have become rarer over the past few decades.

Also, he was in Kansai during the big one and when everyone else was running away, even though I'm sure he was as scared as the rest, he not only held his concerts but donated the proceeds to the recovery. I'll never forget that.
Old 04 July 2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Even so, they're all pretty great songs in their own right (the video for "Uptown Girl" notwithstanding. )
I had to Youtube that. It's, er, silly Not offensive, or even all that bad. Just kind of dorky.

My favorite might be "This is the Time To Remember." I can't say for certain because I like so many of them, but that one stands out in my mind. I used it in a high school project senior year. It's a good thing I like Billy; he's kind of a religion here on Long Island. Everybody decided I was OK when I was new here and they found out I liked Billy Joel.

Similarly, I was lucky enough to have liked the Goo Goo Dolls long before I moved to Buffalo.
Old 04 July 2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I also like Billy Joel, and have been trying to figure out the intense Billy Joel hate that some people seem to have for him/his music. One of the more common criticisms I've heard is that he shamelessly copies other artists' styles, which is true, but it's also something he freely admits. "Uptown Girl" is essentially a Four Seasons song, "Piano Man" could be a Harry Chapin song, and "You May Be Right" sounds almost exactly like middle-period Beatles would have sounded with Mick Jagger as a frontman. Even so, they're all pretty great songs in their own right (the video for "Uptown Girl" notwithstanding. )
Well, if you're a critic for Rolling Stone in 1980, you would argue that he's not sincere about it so he needs to be taken down a peg or two I do think there's a certain Tin Pan Alley/Broadway sensibility to his songs that some might perceive as inauthentic, cheesy or whatever, but I still think he's a great songwriter. Saw him in 1990 when I was thirteen and even this adolescent metalhead was entertained.
Old 04 July 2013, 12:47 PM

Heh, just before I came to this website just now I was on blabbermouth.net and there was talk of Alice Cooper doing a "covers" album. Which got me to thinking that most covers albums aren't very good, but I always wanted to hear a heavy, angry thrash version of Billy Joel's "Pressure".

So that song starts bouncing around in my head and a minute later I see this. Just thought it was funny.

And to answer the OP, I like Billy Joel very much. Writer of one of my favorite lyrics in all of music: "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun."
Old 04 July 2013, 01:13 PM

I like Billy Joel's music. Both of my parents are from NYC, so it kind of reminds me of them. I used to own a 4CD set of his Greatest Hits, which I kept in my car and sang along. Loudly. To my then-partner's chagrin.
Old 04 July 2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwen Edhelwen View Post
Is Long Island really as crowded as I was told it is?
Quote:
[Long Island's] population density is 5,402 inhabitants per square mile (2,086 /km2).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island

However, in context, it has four counties, two of which, Brooklyn and Queens, are boroughs of NY City - i.e., very, very urban and densely populated. The eastern 2 counties are the parts usually meant when people refer to being on Long Island (as opposed to the City) are generally suburban, and at the farthest reaches is a mix of small town fishing and tourism and beach houses for the well-to-do. This is a very rough sketch of course.