snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 01 September 2016, 03:54 PM

Default Laughably bad books

I see there aren't any threads with zero replies here, so new thread!

The only one on my mind now isn't really anything more than "mediocre", although I do have some Amanda McKittrick Ros that I should get into.

That book is Project Mc2, a novelization of a mediocre Netflix miniseries. I give it props for trying to cultivate girls' interest in STEM fields and having Danica McKellar, but the plot is just too laughable even for a kids show. Even more annoying is the repeated attempts to show they are "down" with the target group (in the book, this extends to the chapter headings being abbreviations that are explained in the footnotes).

(Just so we're all on the same page here: The story is about a teen superspy named McKeyla McAlister who is assigned to a small town to protect a prince who is going on a space flight. Along the way, she meets up with chemistry enthusiast/budding chef Adrienne Attoms, young hacker Bryden Bandweth and teen MacGyver Camryn Coyle. Yes, the irritating alliteration is lampshaded--it's the best we could get for a Pythagoras reference.)

Actually, as I was writing that above paragraph, I thought of another novelization that counts: High School Musical. This one's so out-there that they list the lyrics for the songs, even when the songs are not diegetic. And then they go the extra mile and say Zeke's singing ("Stick to the Status Quo") without mentioning what he sings. It should be noted that the rest of the books don't actually cover the songs, and only mention them when they are diegetic (they don't even bother naming "Humuhumunukunukuapua'a").
Old 01 September 2016, 04:12 PM

You forgot to mention the highly symbolic names (the chemist is named atoms, the hacker bandwidth).

For me, it would have to be Out of the Dark by David Weber. Normally a good writer, he fails on this one. It starts out to be a fairly standard "conquest of Earth by aliens goes badly" story. The aliens decide to obliterate humans with a bioweapon as they see that conquest would be too difficult. Their plans go awry when vampires turn out to be real (including Vlad the Impaler) and have even more magic powers than in classic mythology.
Old 01 September 2016, 09:03 PM

There was a Really Bad Books thread recently which might cover a lot of the same ground, although I guess "laughably bad" does keep out the classics that people just don't get on with...

So far as I remember, the only consensus reached was that Piers Antony was probably a good place to start looking.
Old 01 September 2016, 09:47 PM

The thing about Piers is that he's not bad in a funny way, he's bad in a "I can't unsee that and don't ever let this guy be alone with a teenage girl" way.
Old 02 September 2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
You forgot to mention the highly symbolic names (the chemist is named atoms, the hacker bandwidth).
The miniseries never calls attention to that.