snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 10 November 2015, 10:45 PM

Default Woman draws gun on man in parking lot

A Murfreesboro woman told police officers she pointed a gun at a man in the Walmart parking lot because he approached her aggressively, according to the police report provided to The Daily News Journal.

The woman Sherry McLain, 67, of Lascassas was arrested. Her bond was set at $15,000.

http://www.dnj.com/story/news/local/...-lot/75451992/
Old 10 November 2015, 11:59 PM

So, is she one of the "good guys" with a gun? I lost track.

~Psihala
Old 11 November 2015, 12:13 AM

I realize the headline's pretty straightforward, but my mind still pictured a woman with a Sharpie drawing a picture of a gun on the man's skin.
Old 11 November 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
She was arrested and charged with aggravated assault and reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon.
There is hope for the world.
Old 11 November 2015, 02:37 AM

Sounds like she though he was threating because of his skin color and male.
Old 11 November 2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
So, is she one of the "good guys" with a gun? I lost track.
She'd only be a "good guy with a gun" if she'd actually shot him. As it is, she's merely a "responsible gun owner."
Old 11 November 2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
I realize the headline's pretty straightforward, but my mind still pictured a woman with a Sharpie drawing a picture of a gun on the man's skin.
Me too.

Maybe I need to move somewhere else, because a person pulling a gun in a parking lot but being arrested before anything actually happens is just not very newsworthy to me. Page 3 local news, maybe.
Old 11 November 2015, 04:50 PM

I'm not going to defend drawing a gun on someone but being approached in a parking lot by someone who asks for a lighter is a pretty classic scam. Maybe she's read one too many "avoid being a victim" articles and took it to the extreme.
Old 11 November 2015, 05:29 PM

In my experience though, it's far more common to be asked for a light by people who want to light a cigarette (happens quite frequently) than it is to be asked by people trying to scam me (never happened, to my knowledge). Being wary would be reasonable, but simply assuming a scam isn't.

Maybe if I routinely carried a lighter, I'd find that all the people seemingly wanting to light cigarettes were in fact using that as the first stage of a scam. Certainly some might then ask for spare change - but once they'd established contact, they could do that whether I had a lighter or not. From watching other people provide lights, it seems that even the obvious beggars do actually just want a light.
Old 11 November 2015, 05:34 PM

I have never heard of "got a light" being used as the beginning of a scam. I've been asked for a light, always said no because I never have one, and the asker has always just moved along -- unless his actual intent was to chat me up, which might be annoying, depending on the circumstances, but I wouldn't call it a scam.

ETA: Around here, people who want you tp give them money just go ahead and ask for money. Occasionally you'll get some elaborate hard-luck story, but they launch right into that without any got-a-light? pretext, IME.
Old 11 November 2015, 06:28 PM

Here too, for the most part.

Some people do try to establish a conversation first, by (for example) asking the way to the bus station, and then asking if you can spare some change towards the fare - I guess they think you're more likely to give money if you're already talking to them about something else - but I can't remember that happening starting with a request for a light.
Old 11 November 2015, 06:34 PM

Ours aren't that subtle. Mostly they're at least polite about it, but one guy said "Hey Baby, got a couple bucks?"
Old 11 November 2015, 07:11 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I'm not going to defend drawing a gun on someone but being approached in a parking lot by someone who asks for a lighter is a pretty classic scam. Maybe she's read one too many "avoid being a victim" articles and took it to the extreme.
I don't know as I would call it a 'scam' in the sense of being an intro to a cadge, as seems to be assumed by others here (not saying you did, Sue). My concern would be that it was a ruse to get close enough to someone with their guard down so that the approacher can rob them without their having an opportunity to defend or run. That's why in first reading the story I was not decided on whether the arrest was appropriate or not. Then the article showed that the store video was checked and it showed there was no intermediate attempt to wave him off, or any aggressive gestures as claimed. She may still have honestly believed she was under threat, and so the charge will probably be reduced, perhaps to something like 'brandishing a firearm in public.'
Old 11 November 2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I don't know as I would call it a 'scam' in the sense of being an intro to a cadge, as seems to be assumed by others here (not saying you did, Sue).
FWIW, I have made no assumptions about what type of scam Sue meant. I added my postscript about people asking for money in response to Richard's post. I wouldn't call panhandling a scam, exactly -- to me, scam implies some trickery, and however annoying or problematic panhandling may be, it's pretty straightfoward, IME.
Old 11 November 2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
In my experience though, it's far more common to be asked for a light by people who want to light a cigarette (happens quite frequently) than it is to be asked by people trying to scam me (never happened, to my knowledge).
But would you feel comfortable approaching a strange woman in a parking lot to ask for a light? Or would you choose a man so you wouldn't seem intimidating?

It would be unusual to me to have a strange man approach me under those circumstances and not be looking for more than a light, though I wouldn't assume he wanted to hurt me. Maybe it's a gender or location thing.

I have asked men to not come any closer when they were striding towards me making eye contact, and I have been ready to pull out my pepper spray because they were scaring me. I've never had to, though.
Old 11 November 2015, 09:37 PM

Yeah scam was probably not the best choice of wording on my part. The point I was trying to make though was that it's not uncommon to be warned to be wary of people approaching you and asking for some seemingly innocent item like a lighter. It's a way to get you to open your purse for one thing and it's a way to distract you for another. In a parking lot as I'm trying to get into my car I would definitely not appreciate a strange man coming up to me asking for a light. I wouldn't pull a gun but I also wouldn't be offering a lighter assuming I had one. And like LPP I'd be thinking about where I put my pepper spray.
Old 11 November 2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
It would be unusual to me to have a strange man approach me under those circumstances and not be looking for more than a light, though I wouldn't assume he wanted to hurt me. Maybe it's a gender or location thing.
Last time I checked, you and I were the same gender. But yeah, it was often a way of hitting on someone.

Many years ago, I was trying to finish Steven King's Misery, so I was reading it at a stoplight on my way to work. The guy behind me got out of his car and knocked on my window to ask for a light -- scared the crap out of me. He may have been intending to hit on me, but if so, he changed his mind after I jumped and shrieked.
Old 12 November 2015, 01:03 AM

Yeah, that's not the best way to cozy up to someone. While reading Steven King of all things!

I included "location" because Ca has had smoking laws in effect for so long that I can't remember the last time someone asked me for a light. Add to that a parking lot scenario and I would honestly assume a stranger asking a woman for one was a panhandler or thief. There is so much cigarette shaming here the only thing I really ever see anyone smoking in public are e-cigs.

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 12 November 2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12 November 2015, 01:27 AM

I'm guessing there's a lot more public smoking in Murfreesboro, TN.

Apparently the guy was never closer than 10 feet away from her.

ETA: Asking for a light at a red light was just weird, all around.
Old 12 November 2015, 01:49 AM

As for the asking for a light thing, once when I was out with my brother and sister-in-law once, we were asked for a light. My sister-in-law was carrying on "Why did he ask us for a light? None of us are smoking, why did he ask us?" I and I am assuming my brother just thought he was asking us for a light.

Catching public transport I have occasionally seen people asking other for a light (while waiting) even though they aren't currently smoking and often they have one. This was a while ago though as there are a lot more smoke free places now.