snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 12 September 2013, 06:48 PM

Moose Travis Baumgartner gets 40 years without parole for killing co-workers

Itís the harshest sentence handed down in Canada since Arthur Lucas was executed in 1962 for the murder of a police informant.

This man showed no remorse for the brutal slaying of my friend's child and her two co-workers. I do not support death sentences but I can stand behind this decision. It will be forty years before he can be considered for release and even then his parole can be denied.
Old 12 September 2013, 06:55 PM

Once he serves his sentence it isn't parole anymore. Can they refuse to release a prisoner once he has served his time?
Old 12 September 2013, 06:59 PM

Good. Baumgartner's complete lack of remorse is one of the most chilling things I've ever seen. What a disgusting waste of a human being.

My husband worked for G4S in Calgary at the time of the shootings, so this hit hard. This incident (along with the company's response to it internally) was what finally drove him to quit and leave security altogether. NL, sorry to hear that you had a personal connection to one of the victims. I hope this brings a little bit of peace to her, and the others, loved ones.
Old 12 September 2013, 07:04 PM

@Beachlife: the sentence is life which, AIUI, in Canada means that " an offender will be under federal supervision, whether in prison or in the community, for the rest of his or her life" (quote from wikipedia) so he's only served his time if he dies there. The parole eligibility is what allows it to not actually be life if his application is successful.

Last edited by AmISam; 12 September 2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12 September 2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Once he serves his sentence it isn't parole anymore. Can they refuse to release a prisoner once he has served his time?
The headline is misleading -- NorthernLite is correct:

Quote:
Travis Baumgartner, the former armoured car guard who shot four of his co-workers, three fatally, in a robbery on the University of Alberta campus in June 2012, was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison with no chance of parole for 40 years.