snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 04 August 2017, 08:18 PM

Default Martin Shkreli is found guilty of three of eight securities fraud charges

New York —Martin Shkreli was convicted of three of eight counts of securities fraud Friday, bringing to an end a five-week trial that focused on his actions running two hedge funds and a pharmaceutical company before he became infamous for jacking up the price of an AIDS drug.

He faces up to 20 years in prison, though legal experts say he is likely to get much less.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3ceabf4ee665
Old 04 August 2017, 11:41 PM

I forget where on the internet I saw it, but there was an image macro with a picture of smirking Shkreli an text along the lines of "The best thing about Martin Shkreli is that he's the one thing we as a nation can agree on - there's no red state/blue state, republican/democrat, liberal/conservative - just the United States of 'F*** this guy.'"
Old 04 August 2017, 11:47 PM

The ultimate example of a face in need of a fist.
Old 05 August 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I forget where on the internet I saw it, but there was an image macro with a picture of smirking Shkreli an text along the lines of "The best thing about Martin Shkreli is that he's the one thing we as a nation can agree on - there's no red state/blue state, republican/democrat, liberal/conservative - just the United States of 'F*** this guy.'"
... and yet, if you want to properly 'F***' him, you need to work out exactly what he was exploiting to make himself so hated, and pass laws to stop people exploiting those things. That would mean having some sort of governmental control over drug prices in the USA, which is obviously not politically feasible at the moment.

It's not quite clear to me whether the charges against him relate to the things that made him hated, but I'm fairly sure that they were linked in the sense that authorities realised he was a bit of a hate figure and decided they needed to do something about him.

The case reminds me somewhat of the news that Marcus Hutchins (the guy who inadvertently stopped a viral attack earlier this year by registering the domain name that the malware relied upon) has just been arrested on suspicion of creating a different piece of malware (see here).

Different in the sense that Shkreli was a "villain", and Hutchins was a "hero", but similar in the sense that neither of their alleged crimes was related to the things that they were (in)famous for, and that both of their alleged crimes are inconvenient to the American state.

I'm aware that, in even writing this, I now sound a bit like a conspiracy theorist, and perhaps I am... but all I'm really suggesting is that if you have attention drawn to you in this way, then with the current level of surveillance it's not going to be hard for somebody who wants to find something against you to do so.
Old 05 August 2017, 12:40 AM

I assume you're not suggesting that people be allowed to get away with X crime just because we wouldn't have found out about it they hadn't done Y hateful (or heroic) thing.
Old 05 August 2017, 12:49 AM

Are you talking to me? I don't think I was suggesting that at all. If anything, I was drunkenly suggesting that the USA (whoever that is) might have political reasons for these prosecutions, and that they might have picked easy targets. Perhaps I shouldn't have introduced my second imagined example.
Old 05 August 2017, 01:40 AM

There may be a political element to it, but there doesn't seem to be much doubt that he committed a crime, in addition to being a generally shitty person. So although there are certainly situations in which politics play too great a part in prosecutorial decisions, I don't think this is an apt example of that.

ETA: AFAIK, the charges were not related to what made him hated. But yeah, prosecutors make decisions for political reasons sometimes. I doubt that's unique to the US.

Last edited by Lainie; 05 August 2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05 August 2017, 02:30 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
If Stephen Colbert is right and we have no reason to doubt his almighty wisdom, apparently they had a hard time finding jurors for Shkreli's trial because even if they hadn't heard of him, potential jurors would take one look at his face and be like, "Eff that guy."

I understand completely. Shkreli just has such a naturally punchable face. You hope he never goes outside without any security, because otherwise complete strangers would just constantly walk up to him and punch him in the face. Probably even his own mother has to fight the urge to punch him in the face.

It's for that reason that while I don't believe that he did this stunt on purpose to call attention to a skeevy business practice, I can understand why people would believe that he did. He looks like he came straight from Central Casting, because he looks exactly like any Hollywood depiction of the Skeevy, Sleazy Prick. Though even Hollywood would be like, "Oh come on. This is a little too over the top." Then they would punch Shkreli in the face.
Old 05 August 2017, 03:12 AM

He probably has problems finding bodyguards who won't punch him.
Old 05 August 2017, 04:27 AM

Even blind bodyguards wouldn't help, just listening to him speaking makes one want to punch him.
Old 05 August 2017, 01:28 PM

Who knows, maybe that's the whole explanation. After years of people hating him on sight, he finally decided, "If people are going to keep punching me in the face, by God, I'll give them a REASON."
Old 05 August 2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Thank DOYC for the Germans to give the world the word backpfeiffengesicht, which means exactly what you described. And Shkreli is the poster boy for backpfeiffengesicht.

Can you tell I enjoy writing that word? The Germans have a word for everything!!!
Old 05 August 2017, 10:15 PM

I can actually pronounce that one. Some German portmanteau words are too long for me to get a handle on.
Old 07 August 2017, 02:19 PM

Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Who knows, maybe that's the whole explanation. After years of people hating him on sight, he finally decided, "If people are going to keep punching me in the face, by God, I'll give them a REASON."
Reminds me of a magazine parody in the National Lampoon some time ago. In a magazine aimed at the "he was a quiet man" type of psycho loners, a letter to the editor went something like "I'm just a normal law-abiding citizen who just enjoys being by myself and not interacting with people. Problem is, everybody assumes I'm a crazed mass murderer. It makes me so mad that I want to just get a gun and mow them all down."

In any case, I'm not the type to encourage punching someone in the face just because he looks like he deserves it. Shkreli, on the other hand, DOES deserve it, and not because of how he looks. Honestly, I don't know how he's avoided grievous bodily harm up to this point.

In other Shkreli news, this amazing coincidence:

Two Martin Shkrelis show up at the same courthouse
Quote:
Two Martin Shkrelis popped up in the Brooklyn federal courthouse Friday — the notorious “pharma bro,” who was hiding in the cafeteria waiting on a verdict in his fraud case, and his lesser-known unrelated namesake, who pleaded “not guilty” on charges of money laundering.
Old 07 August 2017, 02:33 PM

To be clear, my comment about Shkreli's face was not meant literally.
Old 08 August 2017, 04:33 PM

Found on Twitter:
Proof that Rap promotes criminal behaviour:
100% of people who bought Wu Tang Clan's last album have been convicted of crimes!

Old 14 September 2017, 09:08 AM

Icon103 Martin Shkreli has bail revoked, heads to jail

Former pharmaceuticals company CEO Martin Shkreli has had his bail revoked and is going to jail in New York while he awaits sentencing for a securities fraud conviction.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/martin-...il-pharma-bro/
Old 14 September 2017, 12:29 PM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Former pharmaceuticals company CEO Martin Shkreli has had his bail revoked and is going to jail in New York while he awaits sentencing for a securities fraud conviction.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/martin-...il-pharma-bro/
and there was much rejoicing!
Old 14 September 2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
... and yet, if you want to properly 'F***' him, you need to work out exactly what he was exploiting to make himself so hated, and pass laws to stop people exploiting those things. That would mean having some sort of governmental control over drug prices in the USA, which is obviously not politically feasible at the moment.
Yep. Shkreli is a convenient target for the ire and frustration (and his continued d****bag behavior doesn't help his case), but he's a symptom, not the disease.
Old 14 September 2017, 07:53 PM

An easier way to fix this would be to eliminate out the many ways that drug companies can maintain their exclusive right to market a drug long after it would have otherwise expired. These articles detail some of the ways this can be done. Daraprim, the drug Shkreli famously jacked up to $750 has been in use for over 60 years. Normally, a drug that old would have long been turned into a generic drug available from multiple manufacturers.