snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 21 August 2017, 02:40 PM

Ambulance Does going to the ER via Ambulance equal shorter wait time?

My mother used to believe this, and I've heard others say it as well. You need to go to the ER, call 911 and the ER docs will see you lickity split. I call BS; ERs do triage so your sprained ankle is simply not as important as someone else's heart attack.
But a few years ago, I took a hemophiliac friend of mine to the ER after he dislocated his elbow and he waited hours before leaving without being seen. However I don't think that he would have been seen earlier had he gone called 911.
Old 21 August 2017, 03:28 PM

I'm guessing it still depends on triage.

Anecdotally:

I've been taken to the ER in an ambulance twice, both times with minor injuries, following auto accidents. Once the ER was not busy and they took care of me right away. The other time was during a blizzard, when there had been numerous other emergencies, including a guy who was hit by a car and crushed against a retaining wall while shoveling snow. Some of the staff may have been late arriving due to the weather. That time, I had to wait quite a while even to get taken off the backboard, and I might have waited longer if the head of security hadn't pitched in to help.

My daughter was taken to the ambulance in a hospital after she gashed her arm badly. They stabilized her and prepped her for surgery right away, but she had to wait several hours for surgery.
Old 21 August 2017, 03:47 PM

Ambulance

I think it depends on severity and staff availability.

When my appendix ruptured, I went right from the ambulance and into the emergency room. It took about an hour to determine what the problem was, and I was sent to pre-op. The plan was for me to spend about another hour in pre-op and then go into surgery, but during that time a closed-head trauma patient came in (the result of a traffic accident). It was early morning, there were two surgeons on duty, and so I was slotted in as soon as the trauma situation was stabilized.

From the conversations I could overhear in the ambulance, I'm convinced they were already going through the triage process while I was en route. So, no, I don't think going to the hospital via ambulance will necessarily result in a shorter wait time.

~Psihala
Old 21 August 2017, 04:12 PM

Several people have touched on one way it might reduce total wait time. You get triaged before you arrive to the hospital so you don't have to wait for that. At a very busy ER, that wait might be a not insignificant amount of time, but probably only a fraction of the overall time.
Old 21 August 2017, 04:41 PM

From personal experience (sigh), I would say not really. Like GenYus points out, you'll get triaged faster, but your total time after that will depend on the results of the triage.

Your bill, however, will still be significantly higher.
Old 22 August 2017, 12:00 PM

Confirming through personal anecdote: I am a firefighter for a fairly large metropolitan fire department which includes rescue service. Years ago, I had sudden, blinding chest pain while on the job, and was taken in to the ER by our own rescue. This being the smallest state in the union, it also happened that several of the ER nurses were wives and/or girlfriends of some of my coworkers.

It was busy (but I was lucky to get an exam room in the ER just before it filled up), and I had to wait 6 hours for a doctor to see me - with a potential heart attack! One of the wife-nurses took pity on my and snuck me a turkey sandwich around hour 5, as my symptoms had cleared up long before and I was patently not dead, just bored at that point.

Ended up being a torn intercostal muscle, which explained the incredible pain in my chest. But being an active-duty firefighter brought in by rescue with "friends on the inside", even, did nothing to get me seen sooner.
Old 23 August 2017, 01:07 AM

I need to walk away from the screen, because I read the title question as referring to does--female deer.

Pardon me, I am apparently insane.
Old 23 August 2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I need to walk away from the screen, because I read the title question as referring to does--female deer.

Whoa. Possibly, but it was pretty awesome re-reading the title with that interpretation!
Old 23 August 2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:

Santa has his reindeer, the ER have theirs...
Old 23 August 2017, 01:47 PM

Moose

Quote:

Just wait until Trump hears about this: "Under Obamacare deer get better treatment in our ERs than humans do. SAD."
Old 23 August 2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:

And I thought I had problems when I thought a judge got shot then convicted of rape!
Old 23 August 2017, 07:21 PM

Ambulance

I would imagine transit time could play into it as well; unlike an ambulance, my car is not equipped with sirens and lights, and I can't legally go above the speed limit to get to the ER. But that might be somewhat offset by whatever time is spent waiting for the ambulance to arrive at the scene. And that probably varies widely depending on your location and the distance to the ER.
Old 27 August 2017, 08:47 AM

Hmm my experience is the opposite. When I had an acute gallbladder attack- bad enough that I couldn't lay down on any side or sit comfortably at all not to mention unable to keep food down, we went to the ER via car late at night- somewhere around 1130 PM... to a hospital in another town (ours wasn't built yet at the time). The ER waiting room was... EMPTY- just me and my parents and maybe one other person. I don't know what was going on back there or if there was anything that required more attention or not but we ended up waiting I think two hours (it felt hella longer than that to me as I could barely sit comfy at all.. or move. So like others said.. more to do with triage than anything I suspect.