snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 12 September 2015, 11:24 AM

Default Can you help identify a circa-1960 book about WWII fighter planes for my dad?

My dad posted this on Facebook recently. I've looked, but haven't been able to identify the book. Anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Probably in 1968 I read a hardback book that I checked out of the downtown Wichita public library about WWII fighter plane dogfights. Then having made WWII model airplanes for several years and read several similar books, this book was special.

The chapters were plane by plane, for example, Japanese Zero, American P-47 Thunderbolt, German Me Bf 109, Russian Yak-1, etc. After an introduction of the history of the aircraft, a first person account by a fighter pilot of a dogfight was in the chapter. That was really something, to my twelve year old mind.

I remember that this was the first book I encountered where non-American fighter pilot's stories were printed.

About fifteen years ago, or maybe a little more, I thought of this book and wanted a copy. I mistakenly thought it would be easy to find. The librarians were sympathetic but they no longer had the book and were unable to help me find it. I could not find it on the relatively new website Amazon dot com. And when I went to various World War II aviation websites, I never communicated with anyone who had any recollection of ever coming across such a book.

I'm thinking the book was published maybe in 1959 or thereabouts. I've just completed another online search and couldn't find it. I've asked before on Facebook and had zero helpful responses (usually things like "Have you tried the library?" "Have you tried amazon dot com?" "Have you tried WWII aviation websites?"). On the chance that you have something helpful to report, I again ask for your help.
Old 12 September 2015, 02:04 PM

Airplane

I've had a search, but the challenge is that most books that old and obscure don't have much in the way of descriptions in their listings. I suspect the only way this particular book will stand out from the pack is if your Dad spots it and it jogs his memory.

At the risk of echoing the previous "have you tried Amazon" suggestions, I wonder if he's specifically tried an Advanced Search on Amazon for books with a publish date prior to Jan 1970? The number of results in Military Aircraft, with that restriction, comes down to a manageable size for paging through the results and briefly seeing if anything looks familiar.
Old 14 September 2015, 03:16 PM

Glasses

There are some websites specifically for finding books you don't entirely remember. One is called BookSleuth and another possibility is BookFinder. There are more, if you look around.

Seaboe
Old 14 September 2015, 03:50 PM

Possibly this one? http://www.amazon.com/Famous-Fighter.../dp/0385123957

OY