snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Closed Thread

Old 11 June 2008, 12:01 AM

Default Waking a sleepwalker is bad?

I was a little surprised I couldn't find info on this one. I've heard that waking a sleepwalker will cause them to go insane, but I'm guessing that it's just a UL.
I looked up the subject, and the site advised guiding the person back to bed or helping them finish whatever activity (cleaning, etc) they're doing. Is it unsafe to wake a sleepwalker, or is it just incredibly hard?
Old 11 June 2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfall View Post
I was a little surprised I couldn't find info on this one. I've heard that waking a sleepwalker will cause them to go insane, but I'm guessing that it's just a UL.
I looked up the subject, and the site advised guiding the person back to bed or helping them finish whatever activity (cleaning, etc) they're doing. Is it unsafe to wake a sleepwalker, or is it just incredibly hard?
I don't know about safe or unsafe, but it is upsetting to the sleepwalker. And maybe the waker to depending on how many karate chops the sleepwalker inflicts on the waker.
Old 11 June 2008, 12:15 AM

Sheep

FWIW As someone who has sleepwalked and can actually recall the experience (I 'woke up' still dreaming with the conviction that there was a sheep on top of our wardrobe about to jump onto the bed) I can say that when Mrs D tried to tell me I was dreaming I resisted her suggestion very vocally and started thrashing about in order to get out of bed to deal with the ovine menace. When she changed tack and said "It's Ok, I'll deal with it you go back to sleep" I happily complied. It may be that its just easier to work with the confused person than challenge them.

Dropbear
Old 11 June 2008, 01:39 AM

I remember sleepwalking just once. Didn't work out real well for me.

I was probably about 7 years old, I was at my grandmom's house sitting in the beanbag watching cartoons, and she asked me if I wanted to go out and walk the dog with her, then went without me before I could answer. I jumped up and ran after her.

Only I was REALLY not at her house, I was at home in my own bed, and it was a full sized adult double bed, and I ran right off the side and woke up in the floor.
Old 11 June 2008, 03:55 AM

I always heard that waking someone could cause that person to fall and hurt him/herself. I never heard it would drive them insane. I don't have any proof of that, it's just what I was told.
Old 11 June 2008, 04:09 AM

Icon95

Sleep-a-chow
Closed Thread