snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 16 July 2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Whether it's less unpleasant for the people around them is going to depend a great deal on the person. I find most scented stuff somewhere between mildly annoying and extremely unpleasant, to the point of feeling like I'm choking.

I really do wish that vape stores had no-scent options. DH's e-juice does not bother me, but logic and courtesy dictate that there be a odor-free option for public use.
Old 16 July 2018, 11:48 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
My dad told me to buy a white car because it reflects heat.
)
Yeah, about 80% of Tucson ascribes to that theory, as far as I can tell.

If I'd bought new I never would have bought white-it's so boring, but white was what the used car lot (it's a former rental) had.
Old 16 July 2018, 01:38 PM

I am looking for used cars right now, and the only ones I find are black or silver. I am using CarMax, which has a huge number of cars...all the models I am interested in are available in black or silver. There was ONE red car, and it sold right away.
Old 16 July 2018, 01:49 PM

Baseball

At one time the top 3 selling car colours in Canada were all white. Different shades of white, but white nonetheless.

I don't know if that is still true or not. It could be because a lot of fleet vehicles tend to be white, as well as police and ambulance vehicles.

Whenever we have gone out to buy a car, colour has always been a far secondary or tertiary consideration. Only car we ended up with because of colour is our current one, and that is because we selected based upon all our other criteria, and they had 2 models at the dealership. So we went with the colour we liked more.
Old 16 July 2018, 02:17 PM

Friends of mine bought a large van that's usually used as a work van for tradesmen (it is a small Sprinter). They deliberately bought non-white as they didn't want to run into trouble with their homeowners' association's rule that people can't park their work trucks on the street or in their driveway*.

* Yeah, it's that kind of homeowners' association.
Old 16 July 2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
white was what the used car lot (it's a former rental) had.
I think that's the reason for my aversion to white -- white cars all look like rental cars to me. There's really no rational reason for that association, though. Thinking about all the rentals I've driven over the years I think I've driven just as many red rental cars as white ones. It may be, as UEL points out, that white is a common color for fleet vehicles in general. When I was growing up the state had a ginormous fleet of white Oldsmobiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
I am looking for used cars right now, and the only ones I find are black or silver. I am using CarMax, which has a huge number of cars...all the models I am interested in are available in black or silver. There was ONE red car, and it sold right away.
While color wasn't the primary consideration when I was shopping for a used car (really my only criteria there was "not white" as mentioned above), the fact that the car I ended up buying was red probably made me like it more. It actually seemed like it had been sitting on the lot for a while, but that's probably because it has a manual transmission. That was actually one of the things I wanted, but something many other buyers probably avoid.
Old 16 July 2018, 07:50 PM

Driver

Thank you all for the interesting information about car colors!

Morning
wants another purple car.
Old 16 July 2018, 07:52 PM

What meat would you expect pepperoni to be made out of?
Old 16 July 2018, 07:56 PM

Pork and beef.
Old 16 July 2018, 08:06 PM

I add turkey to that as turkey is used in a lot of similar products like brats, breakfase sausage, and hot dogs.
Old 16 July 2018, 08:15 PM

When I was in grad school I was part of a very ethnically diverse group for a class project, including a Muslim guy from Jordan, an Indian guy, a Chinese guy, a black guy, one other white guy, and myself.* When we ordered pizza we always had to order it from a halal place that only used beef pepperoni to accommodate the Muslim guy. Thankfully the Indian guy wasn't really religious and didn't care that it was beef, otherwise it would have gotten complicated.

*Yes, we did sometimes walk into a bar.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:07 AM

That's actually why I was asking, WildaBeast - I bought a reduced-to-clear "meat feast" pizza of a brand I've not bought before, and when I got home I noticed it was marked as halal, even though it had ham (I thought) and pepperoni on it. It turned out the ham was "turkey ham" and the pepperoni was all-beef.

I would have assumed pepperoni was made with pork. I didn't even know it was usually a mixture until I looked it up after that.
Old 17 July 2018, 05:20 AM

Chef

I enjoyed many a beef-pepperoni pizza in Bahrain. With mushrooms, of course.
Old 17 July 2018, 07:54 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
When I was growing up the state had a ginormous fleet of white Oldsmobiles.
Back when I first started here we had a Federal Government bigwig check in and we needed to give him (or I guess more accurately his Secret Service agents) his keys. I checked him in with his Secret Service guys right there with him. They asked I'd been told where it was parked or what kind it was. I said "all we got told is it's white...but you probably guessed that." All of them laughed.
Old 17 July 2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I enjoyed many a beef-pepperoni pizza in Bahrain. With mushrooms, of course.
This one was better than I had expected it to be, as well. And cheap because it was reduced to clear, but I might even look for that brand again...!
Old 17 July 2018, 01:51 PM

One of the new vendors at a farmers' market I go to sells primarily meats (raised on their farm.) They said they were having trouble with the hot dogs because they're all beef hot dogs, and some of the customers didn't seem to like the flavor; around here hot dogs are generally either pork or a mix of pork and beef. I told them I was raised with all beef hot dogs because, while we didn't keep kosher, my heritage is Jewish; so that's what tastes normal to me, and I prefer it.
Old 23 July 2018, 01:37 PM

Just how common is it for ship launching ceremonies to (still?) involve a bottle of champagne being broken on the ship's hull? And are there any precautions commonly taken (e.g.: scoring the glass) to try and ensure the bottle breaks on cue?
Old 23 July 2018, 01:52 PM

It's a while since there were many ship-launching ceremonies in the UK, but when they were occasionally televised in the past, they always had the champagne. It usually seemed to be tied to a rope or ribbon from the railing at the front of the ship, so that the person breaking it (often the Queen for the televised ones) could swing it at the hull rather than holding it.

I can't see any evidence that they did that when Sir David Attenborough launched the Ship Not Known As Boaty McBoatface recently, though, or that the Queen did it during the launch / commissioning of the HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier. Those are the most prominent ship launches that I can think of in the UK for a while. So maybe it's no longer the done thing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44828136

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-42256046