3. 1.

4. George Jefferson?

5. Salt Lake City and Sacramento.

6. Pillar.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 17 July 2018, 11:48 AM

Here we go again ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What biblical figure is introduced as "a man in the land of Uz (who) was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil"?
Job. And we all know we happened to him. Fearing God and eschewing evil isn't the automatic ticket to happiness you'd think.

2. On what kind of musical instrument could you play a "paradiddle"?
It's one of the rudimentary patterns of drumming.

3. What is the mode of the five digits that appear as the first five decimal places in a decimal expansion of pi?
In statistics, the mode is the element in a set of values that appears most often. The first five digits after the decimal in pi are 14159, so 1--the only digit that appears twice--is the mode.

4. What TV dad of the 1970s and 1980s owned a namesake chain of seven dry-cleaners in Manhattan and Queens?
The success of Jefferson Cleaners financed George Jefferson's move on up.

5. Name any two of the three current U.S. state capitals that were stations on the Pony Express.
The second half of the Pony Express route passed through Salt Lake City, Carson City, and Sacramento.

6. In architecture, a caryatid is a type of what sculpted to look like a woman?
A caryatid is one of those pillars that looks like a woman, not a pillar. So there's a row of ladies in robes balancing a whole roof on their heads, basically.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. metro areas, listed in this order? Fayetteville, Dallas, Omaha, San Jose, Minneapolis, San Francisco, Providence, Seattle, Dallas, Detroit.
These metro areas are the headquarters of the ten largest corporations in America, per the latest Fortune 500. Yes, the government considers Bentonville, Arkansas (home of Wal-Mart) to be part of the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers Metropolian Statistical Area! I checked!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What is distinctive about the performers in Japanese "bunraku" or Javanese "wayang" theater?

2. In geology, strike-slip, dip-slip, and oblique-slip are the three types of what?

3. The longtime advice column for the online magazine Slate is named for what 1968 Beatles song?

4. What modern-day country was the site of 13th-century clashes between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines?

5. In what sport, which dates back to 1930s Chicago, does one "jammer" on each time wear a star on his or her helmet?

6. Where do the seeds that chefs call "pepitas" come from?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these historical events? Cleopatra's forces win the Battle of the Nile, the coronation of Anne Boleyn, Catherine di Medici becomes queen of France, the writing of Frankenstein, Queen Victoria's first assassination attempt, Elizabeth Cady Stanton organizes the first National Women's Rights Convention, Marie Curie becomes the first women to receive a doctorate in France, the structure of penicillin is discovered, Joan Baez's set at Woodstock, the murder of Sharon Tate.

Enjoy!
Old 17 July 2018, 11:58 AM

Whalephant

#2 Are theyfaults or fault lines?

#6 is pumpkins..

#7 They were allDoctor Who episodes. I don't know.
Old 17 July 2018, 12:08 PM

1. I've seen the Javanese version, I think, so I should remember... I think they were masked but that's not terribly unusual...? Unless I'm getting it confused with one of the other forms of Javanese theatre, and they're puppets instead.

2. Earthquakes? They certainly sound like ways in which one tectonic plate can move against another.

3. That would mean it was from the White Album so it has to be Dear Prudence.

4. Italy. (I thought it said city which would have made it a bit harder, as I think they were in both Venice and Florence but I'm not sure...)

5. Is that supposed to say "team"? I can't immediately think of a sport that would have been invented in 1930s Chicago though.

6. I don't know. Sounds like it should be peppers / capsicums but those seeds aren't usually edible so why would chefs need a name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these historical events? Cleopatra's forces win the Battle of the Nile, the coronation of Anne Boleyn, Catherine di Medici becomes queen of France, the writing of Frankenstein, Queen Victoria's first assassination attempt, Elizabeth Cady Stanton organizes the first National Women's Rights Convention, Marie Curie becomes the first women to receive a doctorate in France, the structure of penicillin is discovered, Joan Baez's set at Woodstock, the murder of Sharon Tate.
Quite a list! Obviously they all involve women, which must be significant... but I can't see how it would be "the first time" any of those things were done by / happened to a woman. There does seem to be a partial theme of "firsts" too though - first time an English king got divorced and married again, arguably the first science fiction novel, first woman to receive a doctorate in France, but those are quite a diverse set and at least one of those things is stated in the question!
Old 17 July 2018, 12:26 PM

1. They are puppets.

2. Faults.

3. Dear Prudence.

4. Italy.

5. No idea. I assume that is supposed to be 'team', but I don't know.

6. Pumpkins.

7. I have no guess, but that's an interesting list and I look forward to findout out the answer.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:00 PM

Icon05

Quote:
... Queen Victoria's first assassination attempt...
Who did she try to kill?

Okay, I'll go peacefully.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:12 PM

5. Roller Derby?

Last edited by Stan The Man; 17 July 2018 at 01:27 PM. Reason: D'oh! 5 not 4
Old 17 July 2018, 01:19 PM

2. they are types of faults (but not my fault).

3. Dear Prudence.

5. rollerderby.

6. Pumpkins.
Old 17 July 2018, 01:30 PM

2. In geology, strike-slip, dip-slip, and oblique-slip are the three types of what?

Earthquakes?

3. The longtime advice column for the online magazine Slate is named for what 1968 Beatles song?

Dear Prudence. I hadn't made the connection before, though.

4. What modern-day country was the site of 13th-century clashes between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines?

France?

Pumpkins.

The agent in all of them is female? (Manson I think ordered Tate's murder, but I don't think he was the one who committed it. I don't know who discovered the structure of penicillin.)

Except that isn't actually all that unusual. In any given time, women are present and acting; it's just that history books drop out their names, and mostly talk about the men.
Old 17 July 2018, 02:58 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What is distinctive about the performers in Japanese "bunraku" or Javanese "wayang" theater?
They are wearing black and working stick puppets.
Quote:

Faults.
Quote:

Dear Prudence seems appropriate
Quote:

Austria? I used to know this.
Quote:

5. In what sport, which dates back to 1930s Chicago, does one "jammer" on each time wear a star on his or her helmet?
Roller derby
Quote:

jalapeno peppers (sound confident, Seaboe, maybe someone will believe it).
Quote:

That is a very interesting set of events. I have no idea what they have in common.

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2018, 04:13 PM

Baseball

Difficult ones for me this week. All are guesses.

1. All are cross dressing

2. I took a geology class once. Don't remember these. Might be faults.

3. Help!

4. Don't know. Ghibelline seems French.

5. Haven't a clue. Horse Racing?

6. Pomegranates?

7. These were all done by women in a time when men were the only ones doing them.

0 for 7 this week.
Old 17 July 2018, 04:20 PM

I don't have enough answers or guesses to take a stab this week, but I just stumbled upon the answer to #7. Very clever!
Old 17 July 2018, 05:00 PM

1. What is distinctive about the performers in Japanese "bunraku" or Javanese "wayang" theater? They are puppeteers, I believe.

2. In geology, strike-slip, dip-slip, and oblique-slip are the three types of what? I think the term is "subduction zones" (Thanks, undergrad core curriculum!)

3. The longtime advice column for the online magazine Slate is named for what 1968 Beatles song? WAG-Dear Prudence?

5. In what sport, which dates back to 1930s Chicago, does one "jammer" on each time wear a star on his or her helmet? Sounds like roller derby to me, although I didn't know the origins if so.

6. Where do the seeds that chefs call "pepitas" come from? pumpkins

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these historical events? Cleopatra's forces win the Battle of the Nile, the coronation of Anne Boleyn, Catherine di Medici becomes queen of France, the writing of Frankenstein, Queen Victoria's first assassination attempt, Elizabeth Cady Stanton organizes the first National Women's Rights Convention, Marie Curie becomes the first women to receive a doctorate in France, the structure of penicillin is discovered, Joan Baez's set at Woodstock, the murder of Sharon Tate. The women central to the events were pregnant at the time? (Guessing based on a couple that I know about.)
Old 17 July 2018, 07:13 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these historical events? Cleopatra's forces win the Battle of the Nile, the coronation of Anne Boleyn, Catherine di Medici becomes queen of France, the writing of Frankenstein, Queen Victoria's first assassination attempt, Elizabeth Cady Stanton organizes the first National Women's Rights Convention, Marie Curie becomes the first women to receive a doctorate in France, the structure of penicillin is discovered, Joan Baez's set at Woodstock, the murder of Sharon Tate. The women central to the events were pregnant at the time? (Guessing based on a couple that I know about.)

I can back you up on the coronation of Anne Boleyn.
She was about 7 months at the time and the pregnancy was very evident.

Good job, musicgeek!
Old 18 July 2018, 11:49 AM

That definitely applies to Joan Baez, as well. I think that must be it!