snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 10 November 2017, 05:37 AM

Default Happy Days

Sundays Mondays, Happy Days, Tuesdays Wednesdays Happy Days...

They are replaying Happy Days here. Four a day, two in the mornings and two in the evening. Although the morning ones are just a repeat of the evenings before.

This morning Fonzie jumped the shark!!! And later today Ritchie and Fonzie go to the library to pick up girls. What the bet Fonzie gets a library card!!!*

Unfortunately I came in to late to see the mysterious older Cunningham son. But hopefully when they finish the series they will start from the beginning again.

*There was a urban legend that when Fonzie got a library card, library membership America wide, went up but x%.

https://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/librarycards.asp

That would be 500%.

Oh Happy Days

Last edited by Dasla; 10 November 2017 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Added the link and the number.
Old 10 November 2017, 02:06 PM

They were replaying that for awhile on a channel in my area but kept showing the first few seasons over and over. Which was fine with me - we didn't see Fonz jump the shark or Joanie love Chachi or any of the more irritating things that happened as the series outlived itself and went wildly off the rails. The first years were the best ones .
Old 10 November 2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
. The first years were the best ones .
True that! I still remember the photo montages at the beginning; one that stands out is two of the guys roller skating down the halls of the high school and yanking a teacher's toupee off of his head. The show also exposed some pretty good early rock and roll.
Old 10 November 2017, 05:42 PM

I definitely preferred the show when it was shot one-camera film, before they went to the "live audience" version -- that was much more limiting in terms of locations and sets, and also just made it much more obviously a "show." Also I thought it was better when Fonzie was a supporting character; when he effectively became the co-star, he had to turn into a different character.

Still quite an iconic show for its era.

One of those things that "don't seem right" to me: the time between now and when that show was originally aired, is significantly longer than the time it was originally aired and the time period in which it's set.
Old 11 November 2017, 01:26 AM

Several main characters changed a lot between the earliest episodes and the time it went to live audience. Potsie and Ralph in particular changed quite a bit. Potsie was more of a smartass troublemaker in the earliest episodes, and not the stupid "nerd" he was eventually portrayed as. Ralph was actually cool - I watched a couple episodes not too long ago on MeTV, and Ralph always seemed to have a couple of girls on his arm and definitely made fun of Richie and Potsie. No hint of the "waka waka!" comedian of later seasons.
Old 11 November 2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
They were replaying that for awhile on a channel in my area but kept showing the first few seasons over and over. Which was fine with me - we didn't see Fonz jump the shark or Joanie love Chachi or any of the more irritating things that happened as the series outlived itself and went wildly off the rails. The first years were the best ones .
Oh I agree with all of you. To be honest I had to force myself to watch the two "iconic" shows.

In the library one, Richie meets Lori Beth, who he ends up marrying, so that is another thing.

But Fonzie is so unbelievable as a character, it becomes unwatchable.
Old 11 November 2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
One of those things that "don't seem right" to me: the time between now and when that show was originally aired, is significantly longer than the time it was originally aired and the time period in which it's set.
Tell me about it . Growing up in the 70's, the 50's seem sooo long ago. Umm how long ago was the 70's now.
Old 13 November 2017, 07:27 PM

Yow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Tell me about it . Growing up in the 70's, the 50's seem sooo long ago. Umm how long ago was the 70's now.
With the same time gap similar show today would be set around the turn of the Millennium.
Old 13 November 2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
When I was a kid in the 1980s one of our neighbors had a 1957 Chevy. It seemed like a really cool old classic car, but at the time it wasn't even 30 years old. An equivalently old car to day would be a 1987 model, which seems hard to think of as a classic. It does seem like we're getting to the point where certain 1980s cars are starting to be viewed as classics, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davies View Post
With the same time gap similar show today would be set around the turn of the Millennium.
Which doesn't seem like that long ago, until you think about it and realize that back then many people were still using dial-up, and CRT televisions. And we hadn't switched to digital TV yet, at least in the US. And Blu-ray wasn't a thing, or at least not commonplace yet. And all most cell phones could do was make phone calls. And 9/11 hadn't happened yet, although it was about to.
Old 14 November 2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
. It does seem like we're getting to the point where certain 1980s cars are starting to be viewed as classics, though.

I know; makes me feel really old.
Old 14 November 2017, 08:33 PM

She hates time -- make it stop
When did Motley Crue become classic rock?
And when did Ozzy become an actor?
Please make this Stop! Stop! Stop..!
Old 14 November 2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
It does seem like we're getting to the point where certain 1980s cars are starting to be viewed as classics, though.
It will follow the same pattern as fifties and sixties cars - the interesting cars (leaving out exotics) will be saved first, so in the case of 80's cars it'll be sporty cars like the Camaro and Mustang, Honda CRX, Toyota Supra, TVRs, VW GTIs an Scioroccos, BMW 3-series, and so on (all cars that are appreciating in value and in many cases hard to find in good shape).Then you'll get certain sedans that people will save - Mercedes C-class, Volvo 240, and I can't think of a single American sedan of the era that anyone would save - maybe grandma's Cadillac? Then you'll get old people who will buy anything from the era that's still in good shape because of nostalgia (this is why very boring cars from the sixties and seventies are now "collectible" - nobody really coveted a Chevy sedan but now you get people restoring them).
Old 15 November 2017, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
I can't think of a single American sedan of the era that anyone would save - maybe grandma's Cadillac?
Ha, the little old lady up the street from me has a late 1980s Mercury Grand Marquis in her garage. Actually I wonder if my perspective is skewed from living in California. Since cars don't rust here it's not uncommon to see something like a 1987 Camry still in regular use (Not American but still a car that would be considered "boring"). Seriously, the people a couple blocks from me had their second generation Camry repainted recently, which would seem to indicate that they plan to keep it on the road for a while.

Quote:
(this is why very boring cars from the sixties and seventies are now "collectible" - nobody really coveted a Chevy sedan but now you get people restoring them).
I always wonder how this affects the people who have to find cars for movies/TV. I was actually watching an episode from the first season of The Americans (set in 1981) last weekend and thought to myself "Wow, where'd they find a Dodge Aries in such good shape?"

ETA: I also think the fact that no one saves the boring cars gives younger generations a skewed perspective of what cars were like in the past. To us it appears that all 1960s cars were muscle cars, which is obviously not how it really was.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 15 November 2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 16 November 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
I always wonder how this affects the people who have to find cars for movies/TV. I was actually watching an episode from the first season of The Americans (set in 1981) last weekend and thought to myself "Wow, where'd they find a Dodge Aries in such good shape?"
They find a lot of them in the desert, frankly! However this is also something I notice in movies and shows set in the past - cars are often really shiny and in nice shape. I'm watching Mindhunter right now, which is set in the late 70's, and all the cars, even the older (for the era) ones are in really good shape. A lot of sixties cars were just beaters by the late 70's, and wouldn't look that nice. That said, The Americans (and Stranger Things) both did a good job of having cars that actually looked used - they were dirty, sometimes dented.

Quote:
I also think the fact that no one saves the boring cars gives younger generations a skewed perspective of what cars were like in the past. To us it appears that all 1960s cars were muscle cars, which is obviously not how it really was.
This is absolutely the case. Then you go look at period photographs and there isn't a single Hemi Charger or Corvette or anything - just a bunch of sedans and maybe a single convertible.
Old 16 November 2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
However this is also something I notice in movies and shows set in the past - cars are often really shiny and in nice shape. I'm watching Mindhunter right now, which is set in the late 70's, and all the cars, even the older (for the era) ones are in really good shape. A lot of sixties cars were just beaters by the late 70's, and wouldn't look that nice.
A while back I mentioned that a little thing that annoys me is when a car on TV is portrayed as an old beater even though it would have only been a year or two old at the time the show is set, but I have noticed what you mentioned as well. Actually in one of the early episodes of The Americans was where I noticed it, that there were a couple of shiny, new 1960s cars in 1981 America. Ok, one of them was a Mustang, which plausibly would be a car someone would have taken good care of even when it was "only" 15 or so years old.
Old 16 November 2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
She hates time -- make it stop
When did Motley Crue become classic rock?
And when did Ozzy become an actor?
Please make this Stop! Stop! Stop..!
Funnily enough that song if released now would be called 1998 and be wondering when Korn became classic rock
Old 16 November 2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkster View Post
Funnily enough that song if released now would be called 1998 and be wondering when Korn became classic rock
And:
And who is Ozzy, is he an actor?
Old 16 November 2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
It will follow the same pattern as fifties and sixties cars - the interesting cars (leaving out exotics) will be saved first, so in the case of 80's cars it'll be sporty cars like the Camaro and Mustang, Honda CRX, Toyota Supra, TVRs, VW GTIs an Scioroccos, BMW 3-series, and so on (all cars that are appreciating in value and in many cases hard to find in good shape).
TVR seems a bit out of place on that list - those were pretty low-volume sports cars that almost fall into your "exotic" category, surely? Some models they made fewer than a hundred of. Nice, though - at least to look at; no idea about other characteristics, although they're apparently pretty fast too. The husband of a colleague had a TVR Tuscan around the turn of the millenium and it was lovely.

I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of Happy Days. I've seen clips, and I know it was broadcast when I was younger - in the post-children's TV slot that later held Neighbours, I think - but I don't remember watching a full episode. I think I would have been too young to appreciate it then.
Old 16 November 2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkster View Post

I believe I've heard them in the grocery store a few times. That's just sad.
Old 16 November 2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
TVR seems a bit out of place on that list - those were pretty low-volume sports cars that almost fall into your "exotic" category, surely?
Depends on which models. They were certainly low volume, but the 80's era "wedge" cars weren't worth a whole lot for a long time - they only really started appreciating in value in the early 2000's and can still be had relatively cheaply compared to other cars of the era (Porsches, etc.). Similarly the six cylinder S series took a dive in values for a long time and haven't really become "collectible" yet, though values have firmed up (a good one's worth about ten grand now*). They made a few thousand of most models, not huge numbers but they're not super rare either. Lotuses of the seventies (the Excel and Eclat) are in the same boat - they weren't huge sellers and they're still really not worth much compared to, say, the original Elan or the later Esprit.

The later Peter Wheeler era cars (from the Griffith and Chimera on) tend to be worth more. Those are far more exotic cars than the earlier ones, which were fairly basic.

*worth way more here in the States, though, because they weren't sold here to begin with. I saw an S at the Lane Motor Museum last month (the first one I'd ever seen in person) and have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to afford one