snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 18 October 2017, 03:20 PM

We use a tool that allows for remote connection to a workstation. As a security feature, it periodically requires you to change your password. When the password has expired, it pops up a window for you to change the password. But you can't change the password in that window because the password has expired. Then why did you open the window for me to change the password?!?
Old 18 October 2017, 04:16 PM

Maybe the driver is from SE Michigan and is used to making a Michigan Left
Old 18 October 2017, 04:47 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloLlama View Post
Ohmigosh. I don't drive often in Michigan, but this would have totally confounded me it I came across it without warning.

I don't see it in the northern part of the state (my Michigan adventures usually start at Sault Ste Marie and move to the Upper Peninsula).
Old 18 October 2017, 04:54 PM

Its not used much in the UP as far as I am aware, but most major cities use it. It is common in both Grand Rapids and Lansing. I make at least one Michigan Left most days just to get home.
Old 18 October 2017, 06:04 PM

They had them in the Lansing area when I lived there, but lots of people would call them a Detroit Left. I think because that is where they originated. You can find them all over mid and lower Michigan these days.

Most Michiganders are used to them, but they drive out of staters batty.
Old 18 October 2017, 09:19 PM

The use of the phrase "young girl" to refer to a person in her teens or early 20s. A girl is a child. A young girl, then, is a young child. To be clear, I know it is a somewhat common usage, and I usually understand what the people who say it mean. But it annoys me more than a little.
Old 18 October 2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Well, except for the fact that they went straight rather than left, and I don't think a Michigan Straight is a thing.
Old 18 October 2017, 10:59 PM

It was the u-turn part that reminded me of the Michigan Left.
Old 19 October 2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
The use of the phrase "young girl" to refer to a person in her teens or early 20s. A girl is a child. A young girl, then, is a young child. To be clear, I know it is a somewhat common usage, and I usually understand what the people who say it mean. But it annoys me more than a little.
It annoys me too, for what that's worth.

LTTAM: A conversation I had with a relative who's presenting at a conference soon. She mentioned that they aren't paying her, and I said they should. She pointed out that they have lots of presenters and various expenses. Fair point.

But then she explained that you need to take in more money than you spend, and kept elaborating on this as if I didn't understand the basic concept. I only said she deserved to get paid in an attempt to be supportive. After a few minutes of being lectured about how money works, I was starting to regret that decision.
Old 19 October 2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
The use of the phrase "young girl" to refer to a person in her teens or early 20s. [...] I know it is a somewhat common usage [...]
Wow. Really? That's terrible. WTF is wrong with people? It's annoying enough that so many people call women "girls".
Old 19 October 2017, 08:04 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
They had them in the Lansing area when I lived there, but lots of people would call them a Detroit Left. I think because that is where they originated. You can find them all over mid and lower Michigan these days.

Most Michiganders are used to them, but they drive out of staters batty.
They've put them in here and there in Tucson. They're Hell to explain to guests but once you've figured it out they're pretty simple.
Old 19 October 2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
It annoys me too, even though I know I use the phrase too.

I think it's because there's no female equivalent of the word "guy." A "guy" could be an old guy, a young guy, a little guy (the latter of which would be a child), you can address a group of all males as "guys." "Lady" can be used in a similar pattern for a group of females, but also has some class connotations that go along with it and is typically matched up with the word "gentleman."
And while "guys" can sometimes be unisex, like you can address a group of equal parts men and women as "guys," like "you guys," it's strange to do that to a group of all women, and you wouldnt' call a woman by herself a "guy." (Not to mention plenty of folks are uncomfortable with the implications of addressing a mixed group as "guys" to begin with, not that I need to explain that to anyone here)

Like, you could say young woman in the context you described, but it has a connotation similar to young man when the speaker is trying to go for a connotation similar to young guy.

I think women referring to other women (particularly ones we're close to) as "girls" is the closest thing we have to men referring to other men as "guys."
Old 19 October 2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
The use of the phrase "young girl" to refer to a person in her teens or early 20s.
My dad went through a phase of calling women that age (typically serving staff, when he was talking about meals in restaurants) "little girls"... It was so annoying that even my mum complained about it to him!
Old 19 October 2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
It annoys me too, even though I know I use the phrase too.

I think it's because there's no female equivalent of the word "guy." A "guy" could be an old guy, a young guy, a little guy (the latter of which would be a child), you can address a group of all males as "guys." "Lady" can be used in a similar pattern for a group of females, but also has some class connotations that go along with it and is typically matched up with the word "gentleman."
And while "guys" can sometimes be unisex, like you can address a group of equal parts men and women as "guys," like "you guys," it's strange to do that to a group of all women, and you wouldnt' call a woman by herself a "guy." (Not to mention plenty of folks are uncomfortable with the implications of addressing a mixed group as "guys" to begin with, not that I need to explain that to anyone here)

Like, you could say young woman in the context you described, but it has a connotation similar to young man when the speaker is trying to go for a connotation similar to young guy.

I think women referring to other women (particularly ones we're close to) as "girls" is the closest thing we have to men referring to other men as "guys."
I believe the word for female guy is gals...

as in "I went out with the gals"

Not very common in usage, though
Old 19 October 2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Wow. Really? That's terrible. WTF is wrong with people? It's annoying enough that so many people call women "girls".
I had a receptionist at my last practice who used to refer to me as "the young girl" or "the little girl", while talking to clients who couldn't remember my name.
Old 19 October 2017, 02:58 PM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Well, except for the fact that they went straight rather than left, and I don't think a Michigan Straight is a thing.
It's been awhile, but I think at some inttersections on the Beltline you can go straight. Maybe Burton or Michigan Ave.? I'll have to ask DH. I have to help shadowhim with his cursed garage sale anyway...grumble grumble.
DH says you can go straight on Burton but not Michigan Ave. And I stll hate yard sales.

Last edited by Sylvanz; 19 October 2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 19 October 2017, 03:53 PM

In my quick and dirty search to see where one started, for one of these odd left hand turn situations, it appears that Michigan left turns and New Jersey left turns are different animals. At least the Michigan left turn starts with the driver being in the left lane prior to the intersection. The New Jersey left turn (or jughandle turn) requires the left turning vehicle to normally be in the right lane.

Being in the right lane to make a left turn doesn't make a lot of sense until the layout of the intersection and the path taken is understood. My first experience with the jughandle was in, well, of course, New Jersey, back in 1969 and this Su'thern driver had never seen one and could not initially figure out why I could not turn left from the left lane of the roadway.

On the subject of newer and unusual road adventures, saw my first Diverging diamond interchange, GA 21 at I-95 in Port Wentworth/Savannah. The first time we went through it (and I wasn't driving) I thought it was a wye under the interstate and then realized on the other side, we were back in the normal traffic lane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_left

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughandle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverg...nd_interchange
Old 19 October 2017, 05:18 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
I
It's been awhile, but I think at some inttersections on the Beltline you can go straight. Maybe Burton or Michigan Ave.? I'll have to ask DH. I have to help shadowhim with his cursed garage sale anyway...grumble grumble.
DH says you can go straight on Burton but not Michigan Ave. And I stll hate yard sales.
Michigan avenue doesn't go beyond the Beltline. It starts at the Beltline and goes West.
Old 19 October 2017, 05:25 PM

Yeah, U remembered when DH pointed it out. You can, however visit some restaurant or other as it's directly across the intersection.
Old 20 October 2017, 04:11 AM

People posting "this terrible person was just caught" with a mugshot: Yes, I agree he's terrible. He is entitled to due process but (g)you don't have to refrain from saying what you think. You could have been in danger. You have a right to let off as much steam about what he's done. You're not bound to presume innocence and I would never ask you to. But why do you post his picture? I know you don't care that he's a minority; it means nothing to you. But that's all almost anyone in your feed will remember, even if it's subconsciously. Yet, and still, no matter what he looks like, I keep coming back to the question: Why post his picture at all? He's going to jail forever; you know that. There's just no reason. It's just obnoxious, IMO.