snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 16 October 2017, 09:59 PM

Glasses

The first thing I remember is the collapse of the Silver Bridge in December, 1967. The bridge crossed the Ohio river in the town where my family lived. I was visiting my grandmother and extended family at the time and I remember how panicked everyone was. They were hovering around the radio, drinking gallons of coffee, and smoking cartons of cigarettes. Our Uncle G and his son R both worked in Pt. Pleasant on the other side of the bridge and no one had heard from them. Every time the phone would ring people would jump.

Uncle G and cousin R were fine, they both just had to get to the next bridge up the river to get home. Uncle G had actually been at the stop light just before entering the bridge.

Aside: A few years I was in a car with a dear friend and we were crossing a bridge in Columbus. I tensed up, as I always do on bridges, and she looked at me and said, "Don't be nervous, bridges don't fall down!". I looked at her and she just acted a slight bit sheepish and apologized. But.... she did get me across the bridge without being badly nervous! Kept my mind off of it.
I still really hate being on bridges.
Old 17 October 2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
You meant George Reeves didn't you? My brother loved that show.

You're right. A reminder that memory is capable of being very wrong...
He did fly in a cheap special effects way.

Alie
Old 17 October 2017, 09:27 PM

Psychic

Strangely, or perhaps night for the times, my first two earliest memories of historical events were both about JFK. He toured the naval base where we lived in June of 1963. We were on the street corner when he drove by. I remember that because my father, normally a very dignified man, was holding my hand, but shouting "Hi, Jack!" at the top of his lungs and waving like a bobby-soxer. I don't know why, probably because he was so loud, but I remember feeling acute embarrassment.

Several months later, we had moved to a new home in Redlands, CA. My beloved Godmother was in town to take my mother and me shopping. I remember the grown-up ladies in the front seat turning on the car, and then a man's voice on the radio, then both ladies running back into the house without even bothering to shut the car doors or get me out of the back seat. (I was four.) When I finally wandered into the house out of boredom (this was in the days before seat belts, much less car seats), I found the grown ups watching TV and crying.

Years later I checked these early memories with my father to see if I had things right and he confirmed I did.
Old 18 October 2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
You're right. A reminder that memory is capable of being very wrong...
He did fly in a cheap special effects way.

Alie
Early on, Reeves hung from wires attached to a harness, but then a wire snapped, injuring him. From then on, he lay on a narrow table, the sfx guys turned on a fan, and you saw mainly his head, shoulders, and outstretched arms. They would edit in snippets of old wire-suspension footage now and then to give an impression of full-figure super flying.
Old 18 October 2017, 01:21 PM

I was born in 1988. I have a fuzzy memory of a parade that my mom has told me was for the end of the Gulf War, but all I cared about at the time was the fire trucks. I don't know exactly when that happened, though. I'd guess it was on one of the patriotic holidays in 1991, which must make that one of my earliest memories at all.

For a definite date, I remember watching part of Richard Nixon's funeral in 1994, with all the presidents sitting in a row.

Last edited by lord_feldon; 18 October 2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 18 October 2017, 05:04 PM

I have a vague memory of hearing about the bombing of North Vietnam that I am guessing would be from late 1972. I also recall watching a hockey game on TV in the school gym but I don't know if it was the 1972 Summit Series or something else.

The earliest specific thing I can remember is the 1975 Apollo-Suez mission. We watched the news while the docking was taking place. I would have been 8 years old so I am surprised that there are not earlier ones.

On a personal level, some of my earliest memories are being at the stock car races, including falling off the top of the grandstands when I was 3.

The corollary of this thread is one historic event that I don't have a specific memory of - the fall of the Berlin Wall. I was 22 years old and in the military so it would have been significant but yet I don't recall watching it on the news or having any kind of contemporary reaction.
Old 18 October 2017, 07:05 PM

I couldn't edit my earlier post. But I wanted to add that I do remember seeing the first Bush when he was campaigning for reelection in 1992. I was about five during that election. I don't think I really knew what was going on at the time or who he was. I also saw Bill and Chelsea Clinton during the 1996 election. He was coming through on a train, and he was supposed to stop and give a little speech. However, he and Chelsea just stood on the back of the train and waved.
I kind of remember the Columbine shooting. I was in fifth grade (about 11 years old). My mom and I went to K-mart to either drop off film to get developed or to pick up pictures, I can't remember. The worker was saying that she was scared about what happened, but we didn't know what she was talking about. I had a school play that night and I think some of the other kids were talking about it. I really didn't know what was going on until later.
Old 19 October 2017, 01:05 AM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post

The earliest specific thing I can remember is the 1975 Apollo-Suez mission.
Apollo-Soyuz (not Suez!)