snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 29 January 2018, 07:51 PM

Baseball Cleveland Indians to remove 'Chief Wahoo' from uniforms in 2019: MLB

The Cleveland Indians agreed to remove the smiling “Chief Wahoo” logo that has been on team uniforms since 1947, the team and Major League Baseball said on Monday, a victory for critics who have long criticized the image as a racist caricature.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1FI2DX
Old 29 January 2018, 08:00 PM

OK, when I read the Washington Post article on this, I came across:

Quote:
According to the New York Times, fans still will be able to purchase items featuring the logo at souvenir shops within Progressive Field in Cleveland and at retail shops in northern Ohio and around the team’s Arizona spring training home, but such items will not be sold at Major League Baseball’s website.
The irony of selling the items at "Progressive Field' is a little painful.

(They say that the reason they will continue to sell the merchandise is to satisfy the "use in commerce" requirement to maintain ownership of the trademark. While I'm sure that's true, I'm skeptical it's the only reason.)
Old 30 January 2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
(They say that the reason they will continue to sell the merchandise is to satisfy the "use in commerce" requirement to maintain ownership of the trademark. While I'm sure that's true, I'm skeptical it's the only reason.)
Let's face it - the real reason they will continue to sell the merchandise is because people will continue to buy the merchandise. The moment sales are low enough that it is not cost effective to manufacture and sell, or when they figure out that the PR cost of the merchandise is higher than the profits, they'll drop it.
Old 30 January 2018, 01:22 PM

They'll probably sell a ton now that the liberals are trying to take their (traditions/childhood/team/etc.) away. Like gun sales under Obama.
Old 30 January 2018, 01:28 PM

In the last couple of years, I've got back to following the Toronto Blue Jays. I've noticed that the guys that call the Toronto games on the radio (well, at least the veteran guy, Jerry Howarth...I've never listened for it with the other commentators) only ever refer to the Cleveland team as Cleveland, never the Indians. Same with at least one of the TV guys.

ETA: just Googled Jerry and found articles talking about his decision about 25(!) years ago after receiving fan letter. Also won't use the name "Braves" or phrases like "powwow on the mound".

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluej...team-name.html

Quote:
The longtime Blue Jays announcer said on The Jeff Blair radio show Tuesday that he made a decision more than two decades ago never to use the term because it is found offensive by many First Nations people.
Old 30 January 2018, 01:29 PM

My local NPR station's coverage included a quote from a guy whose business has been selling "Keep the Chief" t-shirts for years. Apparently in March and April of each year, those are his most popular shirts.

I can only imagine, based on the few FB things I've seen, how some people in Cleveland are reacting.
Old 30 January 2018, 01:50 PM

Columnist Gregg Easterbrook has been calling the NFL team affiliated with Washington DC the Potomic Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons for years. (The drainage basin part is because the team is not actually in Washington DC.)
Old 30 January 2018, 03:13 PM

Aaaand one of my cousins posted on FB about a Save the Chief rally in April.
Old 31 January 2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Columnist Gregg Easterbrook has been calling the NFL team affiliated with Washington DC the Potomic Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons for years. (The drainage basin part is because the team is not actually in Washington DC.)

I imagine the current logo will become hot collector's items now.
Wonder what the Indians' new emblem will look like?
Old 31 January 2018, 04:40 PM

Baseball

New emblem? One thing I heard in an interview on the radio is that the intention is to just stick with the "C" they've slowly been introducing the past couple of seasons.

So, it seems to me that this has been in the works for a few years.
Old 31 January 2018, 08:37 PM

I think I read that for the last few seasons, they've only been using the Chief emblem on their home uniforms, and use the "C" on the road. So it's only a partial switch.

While they do plan to continue selling merchandise with the logo, I imagine people will still be buying up a lot of it this year, partly out of fear that at least some items they want will no longer be available, partly just out of general fervor.

And, there's been speculation that the fact that Cleveland is hosting the All-Star game in 2019 was a factor in the decision -- it probably increased pressure from the league, trying to avoid or at least minimize any controversy.
Old 01 February 2018, 07:51 AM

Fans buying the old merchandise will probably fade out over time when the team doesn't use to logo any more. New and younger fans won't know the logo or connect it with the team they are rooting for, so they'll buy the new uniform/t-shirt/cap/mug/key-chain.
Old 01 February 2018, 08:09 AM

I don't think it will fade out that quickly or completely. Denial is a powerful motivator.
Old 01 February 2018, 12:31 PM

And sports fandoms are often passed along from generation to generation.