snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 22 February 2018, 04:52 PM

None that I saw. Maybe there was an emergency switch I did not notice, but no "changed my mind/I said L, but the restaurant is on LL/ etc."
Old 22 February 2018, 06:05 PM

According to this, "destination dispatch" elevators do not have floor buttons, but they do have alarm and door open/close buttons. The site uses the term "mandatory installed" -- I'm guessing that means it's part of building or fire codes.
Old 22 February 2018, 06:56 PM

We have some in one of the buildings for where I work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
On the backend, it's evaluating all the elevator requests and figuring out optimal routing for each car.
That's what they want you to think.

The old elevator wait times for the upper floors where horrible. The longest wait time I had under the old systems was 8 minutes. Under the new, when they're not broken, was about 5 minutes. Still bad, but not as bad.
They don't break that often, but when they do, it can get real bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Was there no emergency system, or changed-my-mind system, or I-need-to-get-out-of-here-faster-than-that system, inside the elevator?
The have emergency buttons, but no "let me outta here now" button.

Karyn
Old 22 February 2018, 07:05 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Does that really do anything for modern elevators?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
From what I understand, many modern elevators are smart enough to figure out where they're most likely to be needed during certain times of day and will just go there on their own without a human needing to send them there.
This is The World's Slowest Elevator (TM pending), and is the only passenger elevator in the building (apparently there are actually two, but the other is a) not working right now and 2) in a part of the building being renovated, so non-construction employees cannot reach it). Despite having been rebuilt last year, it is not by any stretch of the imagination a modern elevator, except in that the floor display is now digital.

When I first came to work in the building, last July, I would've said it didn't matter what floor you left the elevator on, but that was before the escalators broke down. Now everyone who cannot climb the stairs must use the elevator, and its slowness is, IMO, a real issue.

The PTB have recognized this--if the passenger elevator breaks down again (which it has done, twice, during the past two months), they will provide an operator for the freight elevator instead. The freight elevator is one of those really old fashioned ones, although not so old that you have to close the inner door manually.

Seaboe
Old 22 February 2018, 08:26 PM

In one of the buildings on my grad campus, I tried to send the elevator back down to the first floor after I took it up but it wouldn't let me- it sensed that no one was in the elevator and pinged angrily before closing and not going anywhere.
Old 22 February 2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn View Post
We have some in one of the buildings for where I work.

[ . . . ]
The have emergency buttons, but no "let me outta here now" button.
What exactly does the emergency button do, I wonder? If it stops the elevator, including when it's between floors, then for some potential problems it might be worse than doing nothing. And if it doesn't, then for other potential problems it won't be doing what it ought to.
Old 22 February 2018, 11:28 PM

I'm sure it notifies a human of trouble in that particular car, and human(s) respond.
Old 22 February 2018, 11:37 PM

Eventually, I expect, Lainie.

I've heard varying stories on how fast; and expect that would vary from building to building, and very likely from case to case within the building.
Old 22 February 2018, 11:49 PM

I vaguely remember seeing a story (maybe it was on one of those investigative news shows like Dateline) where someone got stuck inside an elevator on a Friday evening while leaving work. The picked up the emergency phone, assuming it would connect them to the building's security office or something similar. Instead it went to the customer service department at the company that built the elevator, who was just like "We'll send someone out to fix it on Monday." Obviously not an acceptable solution to the person inside the elevator.
Old 23 February 2018, 10:01 AM

Frying Pan

I really don't see how you telling me "You need to eat more, I think you've gotten skinnier" is any different than if I said " I think you need to eat less, you've gotten fatter." Body shaming is body shaming. (And for the record, I eat plenty. And not all that healthy. I have an embarrassing amount of Ben and Jerry's pints in my freezer.)
Old 23 February 2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24k Kate View Post
(And for the record, I eat plenty. And not all that healthy. I have an embarrassing amount of Ben and Jerry's pints in my freezer.)
If you ate plenty of good things, there wouldn't be any Ben and Jerry's left in your freezer!
Old 23 February 2018, 02:28 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24k Kate View Post
I really don't see how you telling me "You need to eat more, I think you've gotten skinnier" is any different than if I said " I think you need to eat less, you've gotten fatter."
I actually got my gumption up, and the last time someone said "is that all you're going to eat?" I said "that's a very rude question."

She said she was only asking because she wanted to know whether the waitress would be delivering more plates, but how is that a better reason?

Seaboe
Old 23 February 2018, 02:47 PM

What's wrong with asking "Would you like some more plates?"?
Old 23 February 2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I bet I could deliver that line in a tone that would make it wrong.

"Gosh, would you like some more plates???"

A related Things You Shouldn't Have To Tell Yourself: if you're cooking a meal and you're embarrassed to plate it up in front of the housemate who exercises and eats well and maintains a healthy weight then maybe that's a sign that you need to exercise better portion control. (But I already knew that. )
Old 23 February 2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
"Gosh, would you like some more plates???" [bolding mine]
No improving! Stick to the script!
Old 23 February 2018, 03:30 PM

Sorry, I always deliver lines in a Napoleon Dynamite voice.
Old 23 February 2018, 04:43 PM

"Would you like some more plates?" (sarcastic)
"Would you like some more plates?" (incredulous)
"... Would you like some more plates?" (hesitant)

I could go on. Some of the possibilities involve eyebrow work that is difficult to convey in print.

(eta) Of course, the fact that I want more food is one of these things that I shouldn't have to tell people.
Old 23 February 2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
A related Things You Shouldn't Have To Tell Yourself: if you're cooking a meal and you're embarrassed to plate it up in front of the housemate who exercises and eats well and maintains a healthy weight then maybe that's a sign that you need to exercise better portion control. (But I already knew that. )
I wouldn't say that. I would say that if you're embarrassed to eat a full meal in front of your housemate, either your housemate has been previously obnoxious or you've internalized a whole lot of cultural nonsense.

If your reason for putting less on your plate, or putting different things on your plate, has to do with what you yourself want to eat: that's one thing. But what you suspect your housemate might be thinking of you shouldn't be the deciding factor. And, IME, such thinking only leads to eating more than you otherwise would have while the housemate's out of sight, anyway.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
(eta) Of course, the fact that I want more food is one of these things that I shouldn't have to tell people.
Why not?

Some people want more food than others. This is normal. Why should other people be able to guess how much you want?

-- at any rate, unless you were offered dinner and what you got served was something along the lines of three grains of rice and two peas.

Last edited by thorny locust; 23 February 2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 23 February 2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

Why not?

Some people want more food than others. This is normal. Why should other people be able to guess how much you want?

-- at any rate, unless you were offered dinner and what you got served was something along the lines of three grains of rice and two peas.
Based on asking for "more plates" I'm guessing Richard W was talking about some kind of all you can eat restaurant. If that's the case giving customers a hard time about wanting more plates of food (or more plates to get food) is pretty obnoxious.
Old 23 February 2018, 06:27 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Looking back over my post, it's much more confusing than I intended--although the resulting discussion has been interesting.

I think what she was (pretending to be) asking was either whether the plates for my various comestibles would fill the entire table, or was the waitress coming back soon to take more orders; not whether she might have a plate so that she could share my lovely comestibles (I had two chicken Samosas and an order of those lentil crackers whose name I can never remember).

Also--Gosh, GM, Napolean Dynamite is so 14 years ago.

Seaboe
Closed Thread