snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 02 February 2018, 01:48 AM

Ponder Girl, 12, arrested after 'shooting two teenage students' at Los Angeles school

Quote:
A young girl has been taken into custody after two middle school students - a boy and another girl - were shot in a classroom near downtown Los Angeles on Thursday morning.

The chief of the Los Angeles school police department says preliminary information indicates that the female suspect in a high school shooting is 12 years old.

A 15-year-old boy was shot in the head is in critical but stable condition. A 15-year-old girl was also struck in the wrist.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/38...-two-students/

I wonder if they'll write a song about this one...
Old 02 February 2018, 02:18 AM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
I wonder if they'll write a song about this one...
I don't get it. What does this mean?
Old 02 February 2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't get it. What does this mean?
I think the song "I don't like Mondays".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don%27t_Like_Mondays
Old 02 February 2018, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I think the song "I don't like Mondays".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don%27t_Like_Mondays
Yes, it is, I'm glad I'm not the only person who remembers that, though at the time I didn't know what they were singing about.
Old 02 February 2018, 04:30 AM

Icon05

I know the song and the background story - and long ago I read the ULRP entry, which is linked on the Wiki entry. (There are also dozens of other songs about school shootings.) I just don't get what it has to do with this particular shooting.
Old 02 February 2018, 04:34 AM

Default School shooting that injured four students now believed unintentional, police say

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...201-story.html
Quote:
A 12-year-old girl was booked on suspicion of negligent discharge of a firearm Thursday after a shooting at Sal Castro Middle School left four students injured, authorities said.
Old 02 February 2018, 05:19 AM

It's probably to early to talk about why a 12yo has access to firearms, isn't it?
Old 02 February 2018, 05:37 AM

Definitely not. But it may be too early to say anything about that. Some are reporting that it was in her bag and she dropped the bag, discharging the weapon, which makes me wonder if the negligent discharge charges will be dropped. The crime does not include accidental discharge.
Old 02 February 2018, 09:03 AM

Is it too early to argue about whether this even counts as a school shooting?
Old 02 February 2018, 09:35 AM

Not at all. This kind of incident is often included on lists of school shootings.

Certain news organizations, some who are generally pro-gun, seem to have gone out of their way to brand it as one, saying she "opened fire" and even publishing a list of "female shooters" in school shootings. Then we're told more guns at school is supposed to stop school shootings.
Old 02 February 2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Some are reporting that it was in her bag and she dropped the bag, discharging the weapon...
I'd be very surprised if this is what happened. Modern handguns (made in the last 50 years) do not discharge when dropped unless they are in very poor condition. There may be very cheap imports or knockoffs that could, but those are not that common.
Old 02 February 2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Definitely not. But it may be too early to say anything about that. Some are reporting that it was in her bag and she dropped the bag, discharging the weapon, which makes me wonder if the negligent discharge charges will be dropped. The crime does not include accidental discharge.
She dropped her bag and the weapon discharged once and hit 5 people or discharged multiple times and hit 5 people?

I don't expect you to know more, I just wanted to point out that that's a glaring bit of missing info, if people want to go around saying, "it was just an accidental discharge".

ETA: One boy shot in the temple, one girl hit in the wrist, It does not say how the other 3 were wounded. I don't see how this can be from a single discharge. This is not a Deadpool movie where you hit three bad guys with one bullet especially if the gun was in her school bag to begin with.

Last edited by Alarm; 02 February 2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02 February 2018, 02:51 PM

According to this article, three people "sustained minor injuries but were not shot directly."
Old 02 February 2018, 05:54 PM

From the LA Times article (linked above):
Quote:
Three others — a 30-year-old woman, an 11-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl — also suffered minor injuries, including two from gunshots, health officials said.
Probably too early really to determine what happened; my guess would be that the reporter got it wrong - it's much more likely that two were injured from gunfire and three from the chaos that ensued.

From earlier in the article,
Quote:
"​​​Someone decided to bring a gun, I guess someone was accidentally playing around with it," said Benjamin, a 12-year-old seventh-grader, whose guardian asked that his last name not be used. "They thought it was a fake gun."
If that's true, then the person who actually owns the gun (parent/guardian) needs to be charged with reckless endangerment or something of that sort for being enough of a nimrod where their child could get the gun and bring it to school (and/or not teaching the child that guns can be dangerous and not to bring it to school to show off to friends). If the student with the head injury dies, then upgrade the charge to manslaughter. I don't care if you own guns; if you do, you need to store them appropriately and teach everyone in the house how to treat them appropriately.
Old 02 February 2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Certain news organizations, some who are generally pro-gun, seem to have gone out of their way to brand it as one, saying she "opened fire" and even publishing a list of "female shooters" in school shootings. Then we're told more guns at school is supposed to stop school shootings.
To be fair, I don't think I've heard even hard-line pro-gun folks suggest that students should be carrying guns to school (except at colleges and universities). Some want teachers and administrators to be armed, which I personally think would lead to far more deaths and injuries than it is ever likely to prevent or deter.
Old 02 February 2018, 06:28 PM

I wouldn't expect it to take too long before they do, though. The NRA was heavily opposed to the idea of having guns in schools at all back in the 90s.
Old 02 February 2018, 06:50 PM

From an earlier linked article, the student hit in the temple had a very minor wound and was expected to fully recover. The most serious sounding wound was the one to the girl's wrist, which sounded like it might have involved significant blood loss -- she was described as being in fair condition. One other person had a minor injury that was described as being caused by a gunshot.

In light of all the information at this point, I wonder if there was a single shot, accidental or not aimed at anyone, and bullet fragments hit multiple people. There could perhaps have been a ricochet from a hard surface, or a hit to the girl's wrist and fragments that passed through/were redirected.
Old 02 February 2018, 07:09 PM

If only there'd been a good guy there to initiate a counter-accidental discharge.
Old 03 February 2018, 12:46 AM

Default School shooting: Unclear where 12-year-old got unregistered gun

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-ang...egistered-gun/
Quote:
"It's pretty rare to hear about an incident like this," Gagliardi said of Thursday's shooting.

He said the gun wouldn't necessarily had to have been cocked to go off in the girl's backpack, but mostly likely would have had to have become entangled with something inside the bag for the trigger to have been pressed.

A strikingly similar shooting to Thursday's happened just south of Los Angeles in Gardena on Jan. 18, 2011, when a gun went off inside a 17-year-old boy's backpack after he set it on a desk, wounding two students with one bullet, including a girl who was shot in the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'd be very surprised if this is what happened. Modern handguns (made in the last 50 years) do not discharge when dropped unless they are in very poor condition. There may be very cheap imports or knockoffs that could, but those are not that common.
It may be a ten thousand to one or whatever but if so it happens every ten thousand times a gun is dropped. It other words, it happens not infrequently every year. Most cases aren't reported because they don't hit anyone. In any case, whether it went off while it was in her bag should be relatively easy for the police to determine. ETA - The police are now confirming that they the evidence supports this.

Also, it's simply not true that it doesn't happen. Some handguns are notorious for this and not necessarily cheap or shoddy ones.
Old 03 February 2018, 01:06 AM

So by that logic, there are hundreds of pupils with guns in their bags every day, and it's only when one of the guns goes off by mistake according to the statistical likelihood of that happening that anybody notices...