snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 02 February 2018, 12:40 AM

Canada Canada's National Anthem lyrics change

My title, but there are plenty of stories about it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lved-1.4515364

I throw this one up as it is covers the long time efforts to get the lyrics changed.

In essence: The words "in all thy sons command" have been changed to "in all of us command"

The terms "gender neutral" is thrown around. But if you follow this history, "in all of us command" is closer to the original. The "thy sons" was added to assist in militaristic patriotism recruiting during WWI. So, it is more a return to the original English version (French version has not changed since 1880, and the English version has had 4 changes).

Now cue the rants. I am not surprised, but the vitriol is weird. Ranting over the government spending time over 2 words, but they are ranting at high volume over 2 words.

Very interesting times.
Old 02 February 2018, 01:09 AM

Canada

I'm avoiding the commentary as carefully as I avoid listening to Trump. Helps my blood pressure .
Old 02 February 2018, 01:19 PM

Canada

I once had a Canadian boyfriend who insisted that the "sons" referred to the Son of God, and it was saying that Canadians should follow Jesus's commands. (And he was totally anti-religious, BTW.) It didn't make any sense to me grammatically, but I didn't want to argue with him about his own national anthem.
Old 02 February 2018, 01:35 PM

"in all thy child's command" would have made more sense to me.

OY
Old 02 February 2018, 01:37 PM

"Sons" in the previous wording was plural, not possessive. So it would be "in all they children," which adds a syllable.
Old 02 February 2018, 01:45 PM

We see similar ranting over two words whenever "under God" is left out or talked about leaving out of the pledge of allegiance. Which ignores the fact that it was only added in 1954 to trick the godless Communists into revealing themselves.

Overgod only knows what mouth-frothing, venom-spewing would result if we had a bilingual pledge or national anthem.

PS. Wasn't there another drive to make the Canadian national anthem less martial by changing the "we stand on guard for thee" part?

PPS. I didn't need to look up the wording, years of attending NHL games have resulted in me having it memorized.
Old 02 February 2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
The terms "gender neutral" is thrown around. But if you follow this history, "in all of us command" is closer to the original. The "thy sons" was added to assist in militaristic patriotism recruiting during WWI. So, it is more a return to the original English version (French version has not changed since 1880, and the English version has had 4 changes).
Normally, I'm not one for changing lyrics in songs. This, however,... If it was originally written in French, then we're really just changing the translation. considering that the "official" lyrics have changed 4 times, it's not exactly earth-shattering. To me, this is absolutely a non-event. Then again, I'm not Canadian, so it doesn't affect me anyway.
Old 02 February 2018, 01:57 PM

I finally did some reading about the anthem, because I would swear that as a child, singing it at school, there was no "God keep our land". Turns out, I am not misremembering. It wasn't officially the anthem until 1980 and the original "O Canada, glorious and free" was officially changed to "God keep our land, glorious and free". I also remember "and stand on guard, O Canada" being changed to "from far and wide, O Caanda".

My parents (and I when I was young) belong to a group that sings The Maple Leaf Forever at the start of their meetings. Needless to say it's a very white, WASP-y group. "...Wolfe, the dauntless hero came and planted firm Britannia's flag..."
Old 02 February 2018, 02:17 PM

Soapbox

Honestly, the original is the French one and the English side has been playing catch up since 1880
Quote:
Originally called “Chant national,” it was written in Québec City by Sir Adolphe-Basile Routhier (words in French) and composer Calixa Lavallée (music), and first performed there on 24 June 1880. It began to be sung widely in French Canada at that time
https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....icle/o-canada/

:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Normally, I'm not one for changing lyrics in songs. This, however,... If it was originally written in French, then we're really just changing the translation. considering that the "official" lyrics have changed 4 times, it's not exactly earth-shattering. To me, this is absolutely a non-event. Then again, I'm not Canadian, so it doesn't affect me anyway.
It's not even a translation, it's an interpretation

Quote:
O Canada! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!
translates roughly to "O Canada, land of our ancestors, you wear a glorious crown, your arm knows how to bear a sword and how to bear the cross"
Compared to the English version

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
Old 02 February 2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
"Sons" in the previous wording was plural, not possessive. So it would be "in all they children," which adds a syllable.
Understood. Doesn't have to stay plural though.

OY
Old 02 February 2018, 03:25 PM

". . all thy child"?
Old 02 February 2018, 07:08 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post

In essence: The words "in all thy sons command" have been changed to "in all of us command"

The terms "gender neutral" is thrown around. But if you follow this history, "in all of us command" is closer to the original. snip

Very interesting times.
Wonderful. I still have trouble with the changes they made in it after I learned it back in 1966. And what's wrong with the original "thou dost in us command". Dang kids, get off my lawn
Old 02 February 2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I finally did some reading about the anthem, because I would swear that as a child, singing it at school, there was no "God keep our land". Turns out, I am not misremembering. It wasn't officially the anthem until 1980 and the original "O Canada, glorious and free" was officially changed to "God keep our land, glorious and free". I also remember "and stand on guard, O Canada" being changed to "from far and wide, O Caanda".

My parents (and I when I was young) belong to a group that sings The Maple Leaf Forever at the start of their meetings. Needless to say it's a very white, WASP-y group. "...Wolfe, the dauntless hero came and planted firm Britannia's flag..."
I wonder if there was the same outrage the last time they changed some of the words.
Old 02 February 2018, 08:01 PM

I'm not quite sure here: is this one I blame on Obama, or thank Trump for? Or is it one of those tricky Clinton ones?
Old 02 February 2018, 08:23 PM

It would be something you'd blame on Obama and/or Clinton. Anything that suggests that men are not the only gender worth singing, writing, designing, or acting for is clearly part of the radical feminist agenda*.

ETA: Probably Hillary Clinton as she's the HBIC when it comes to special snowflake status.

FETA: * That's a bad thing.
Old 02 February 2018, 08:26 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I wonder if there was the same outrage the last time they changed some of the words.
I can't remember. It just seemed to me that one day they started singing new lyrics
Old 02 February 2018, 08:45 PM

Canada

I don't know why them Canadians keep changing stuff. Can't they just stick to the way things used to be in the olden days?
Old 04 February 2018, 12:13 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
I don't know why them Canadians keep changing stuff. Can't they just stick to the way things used to be in the olden days?
In 2013 I ran into a guy who ranted at me that we changed the flag from that one (we changed in 1965). He complained that too many Canadians died under that flag in battle. When I brought up the hundreds that have died since '65 under our current flag, I was essentially told that they don't count.

Just an anecdote, nothing to add.
Old 04 February 2018, 12:29 AM

Canada

I was almost expecting the answer to be that they should have died under the other.
Old 04 February 2018, 01:17 AM

Dang it, you Canadians should keep the same flag the Pilgrims used.