snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 18 January 2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
There's a related mindset which says "If a proposed social change isn't going to 100% fix a problem then it's a waste of time," especially in relation to things like drug control, gun control, poverty alleviation, unemployment, etc etc.. The current means of dealing with the issue definitely won't 100% fix the problem and the proposed programs may at least alleviate the symptoms or at least help move vulnerable people away from potential harm but nope, if it's not a guaranteed fix then it's no good.

There seems to be a bunch of them in Australia as well, sadly enough.
Yes, and it is often said in such cases, "We're getting more like America every day".
Old 18 January 2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
The stairway/landing is not an appropriate place to have an impromptu meeting/conversation.
Even worse, neither is the office canteen a suitable place for an office meeting or employee review. Nothing worse than trying to enjoy a snack and someone's getting a verbal warning off to the side.

In our new building, this practice was specifically banned. They have to go to proper rooms now.
Old 19 January 2018, 01:46 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
The stairway/landing is not an appropriate place to have an impromptu meeting/conversation.
I'm trying to figure out if that's more irritating than when two pickup trucks block a road, because the drivers are parked side by side, carrying on a conversation. My family calls it the Redneck phone call. Before anyone suggests blaring the horn, it takes less time to turn around and find another road, than it does to blar on the horn until they decide to do something.
Old 19 January 2018, 01:58 AM

Generally around here, if drivers are doing that, they'll move out of the way when they realize there's other traffic -- maybe not instantly, but a lot faster than it would be to back up, turn around, and find another route.

I wouldn't advise blaring the horn; but tapping it gently might be worth a try. (Blaring it's probably only going to get them to dig in their heels.)
Old 19 January 2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Even worse, neither is the office canteen a suitable place for an office meeting or employee review. Nothing worse than trying to enjoy a snack and someone's getting a verbal warning off to the side.

In our new building, this practice was specifically banned. They have to go to proper rooms now.
If I ever saw that happening I'm pretty sure I would sit down next to them and offer to share my snack.
Old 19 January 2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Yes, and it is often said in such cases, "We're getting more like America every day".
Is that a challenge? Cause we are America, and can out-stupid you ANY day of the week. Wanna see us start a nuclear war? Go on, think you are getting more like us? HAH, say goodbye to Pyongyang!
Old 19 January 2018, 11:43 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Is that a challenge? Cause we are America, and can out-stupid you ANY day of the week. Wanna see us start a nuclear war? Go on, think you are getting more like us? HAH, say goodbye to Pyongyang!
I'd like to see any country start a war that was stupider than Australia's Great Emu War.
Old 19 January 2018, 12:38 PM

Pig

Quote:
I'd like to see any country start a war that was stupider than Australia's Great Emu War.
How about the Pig War?
Old 19 January 2018, 01:04 PM

Canada

Quote:
This energy blast was seen and heard in 4 US states and Canada.
Quoting from a quote in this article https://www.snopes.com/did-energy-we...rike-michigan/. I know snopes, and the Snopes team didn't write this.

So it was heard in only 4 US states, but in ALL of Canada, despite Canada having more land surface than the US?

I must have been sleeping, I didn't hear it. Have any Canadian snopesters hear it?

Old 19 January 2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
There is a very small risk associated with being vaccinated; and a significantly larger risk associated with not doing so.
Just to be a nit-picker, TO THE INDIVIDUAL, there is a significantly smaller risk associated with not getting vaccinated. First of all, with most people being vaccinated, your chances of coming in contact with one of the "less-than-dred" diseases is small; then, the chances of said disease SIGNIFICANTLY affecting you is incredibly small. The effect on society as a whole, on the other hand, is greater for you not getting vaccinated than if you do.

I'm thinking here of measles / mumps / chicken pox (polio is another story). I realize that there were individuals that died of these diseases, but the chances of death were small even in the days of limited medical treatment; in today's America, treatment for the symptoms is much more readily available. TO THE INDIVIDUAL, it's now worth the risk to get measles - fever and itching for a week; if things go really bad, hospital; compare that to allergic reaction to the vaccine (death?) and (in their minds) that vaccines could cause autism (a lifetime of mental disability) - MY LIFE is better without vaccination.

Please please please please - I do not believe these things. All of my kids are fully vaccinated - I understand herd immunity. I'm trying to "rationalize" their thinking process. My whole point here is that TO THESE INDIVIDUALS, their risk-benefit analysis says don't vaccinate; the risks to the individual are higher. TO SOCIETY AS A WHOLE, the risks of individuals opting out of vaccination is higher than the negative effects of vaccination. You, me, and any reasonably sane individual knows that vaccination is a good thing and that the PERCEIVED risks are minimal.
Old 19 January 2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
JSome people have reported negative reactions to bandaids for crying out loud.
My wife for one, she sometimes gets a mild rash from almost any medical adhesive. The "only sticks to itself" stretchy wrap is the best thing for her.

Quote:
There's a related mindset which says "If a proposed social change isn't going to 100% fix a problem then it's a waste of time," especially in relation to things like drug control, gun control, poverty alleviation, unemployment, etc etc.. The current means of dealing with the issue definitely won't 100% fix the problem and the proposed programs may at least alleviate the symptoms or at least help move vulnerable people away from potential harm but nope, if it's not a guaranteed fix then it's no good.
If your Australians are like the Americans to say this, it is because they don't want to do anything, but don't want to make it appear (to themselves or others) that they don't care at all.

Probably the same people who practice tone policing.
Old 20 January 2018, 01:39 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Not surprisingly, the Emus won. Between the Emus and the fact you guys have birds who purposefully set fires, I continue to be like, "WTF, Britain?!" Why would you settle this place? Were you like, "We can't let one group of natives go unoppressed. How would we be able to hold our heads high and call ourselves Imperialists if we did?"

In fairness, Britain wasn't sending their best and brightness. Britain was sending their murderers, their rapists...
Old 20 January 2018, 01:53 AM

Actually, quite a few of the criminals sent to colonize Australia were convicted only of minor crimes.
Old 20 January 2018, 01:56 AM

Mouse

I know. I was trying to do a riff on Donald Trump. If I failed, I apologize. I still stand by my "WTF, Britain?!"
Old 20 January 2018, 12:05 PM

Australia

Here in Australia we celebrate our national day on January 26 which the day the First Fleet landed in Botany Bay in 1788 and established the first white settlement in Australia. The indigenous population naturally have a different view on the significance of that date and often call it "Invasion Day" or "Survival Day" and in recent years there's been a push to move Australia Day to a different date.

Of course there's been the usual arguments about "PC gone mad" and the mass media has been stirring up the controversy every year as we get towards the end of January. I was reading over a discussion on Facebook and some guy said "Aboriginals should stop living in the past and just get over it. I don't see the Japanese or the Irish or the Scots or the Jews carrying on about their past atrocities."

TYSHTTP: those people are still very very much aware of the atrocities that were perpetuated on them in the past and a great many of them are not ready to "just get over it". If you personally haven't witnessed that then you must have been living under a very very large rock for your entire life.

The Jews still haven't forgiven Rome for Masada and the Roman empire doesn't even exist any more!

Edit: I actually clicked through and check the poster's FB account, he seemed to be genuine and not a troll account
Old 20 January 2018, 04:09 PM

Yeah, we've got similar issues in the States, with people saying that Native Americans should just get over the things that some of them can still remember the federal government doing to them.
Old 20 January 2018, 05:55 PM

And the things that the federal government, among others, is still doing to them.

ETA: And, yeah. Lots of people continue "carrying on about their past atrocities." Not to mention that "carrying on" is highly dismissive language.

Last edited by thorny locust; 20 January 2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 22 January 2018, 12:14 PM

Icon101

Stay off the ice! https://wtop.com/prince-georges-coun...escuing-3-men/

I also saw some dumb parent let his kid walk out on ice to pick up a stick; this was at a park lake. Thankfully the kid got back to land safely, but honest to god, how dumb do you have to be to let your kid walk on ice in the first place?

Especially now since the weather's gotten mild.
Old 22 January 2018, 12:21 PM

A sign saying "Exit closed 1-24-18 from 3 to 7" needs a BIT more information, such as AM or PM. If it is closed 3 to 7 AM, not a big deal since not a lot of people are driving there then, and most of them are heading north, so getting ON at that location. 3 to 7 PM means you are shutting a major ramp during rush hour when a huge number of people get off at that exit, and so a LOT of us are going to need to change our plans. I would just guess you meant AM, but then I have seen you shut down major exits at rush hour for no good reason before..
Old 22 January 2018, 12:40 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
My wife for one, she sometimes gets a mild rash from almost any medical adhesive. The "only sticks to itself" stretchy wrap is the best thing for her.
Me too.

TYSHTTP: If your son had been issued a restraining order concerning his ex-girlfriend calling her at work to beg her to take him back is a really bad idea.