snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Old 26 November 2009, 08:18 AM

Theme Icon In memorium of those turkeys who came before

Quote:
The turkey’s defense: Tryptophan, designed to make you fall asleep before the fourth quarter and not wake until Saturday morning cartoons. Or, maybe not. Myth-busting site Snopes.com states, in no-uncertain terms, that this is false. Maybe, just maybe, we eat too much.
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/st...keys-who-came/
Old 26 November 2009, 09:47 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Today, we stuff the bird (they were a little scrawny in 1621) with bread, veggies, oysters, cranberries, Cajun mix, rice, pecans, cornbread, rye, apples, sausage, raisins and anything else found in the pantry.

Our taste for turkey was so extreme that turkey native to Minnesota is extinct. The Rio Grande turkey, found in New Mexico and Texas, was almost wiped out in the 1870s. Poor great-great, really-great grandpa Tom
Has anybody here had a wild turkey before? I imagine it's tastier than domesticated birds the same way that wild goose or duck is tastier than farmed (even if it's scrawnier). I don't personally like the taste of turkey, but imagine a gamier animal might be more my palate.
Old 26 November 2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
Has anybody here had a wild turkey before? I imagine it's tastier than domesticated birds the same way that wild goose or duck is tastier than farmed (even if it's scrawnier). I don't personally like the taste of turkey, but imagine a gamier animal might be more my palate.
Wild turkey is delicious, but I haven't had it in many years.