snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 10 December 2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I wouldn't call that co-opting and I doubt it was a matter of being clueless so much as not caring.
In terms of Mike Myers and the writers, I would agree. If I recall correctly, I think that some studio execs were somewhat surprised/taken aback to realize that "shag" was a much ruder term than they assumed.
Old 10 December 2018, 08:30 PM

Yes, it's a very rude word.
Old 10 December 2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
For a land supposedly made up of bad-ass cowboys and cowgirls, you US-Americans are sure touchy when it comes to swearing.

Angela Merkel said 'shitstorm,' but it's not as bad as you think
This is a bit like saying that we have too many rainbow parties and satanic ritual murders. The video just shows the crowd laughing.
Old 11 December 2018, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
In terms of Mike Myers and the writers, I would agree. If I recall correctly, I think that some studio execs were somewhat surprised/taken aback to realize that "shag" was a much ruder term than they assumed.
And here I hadn't realized what perverts my grandparents were, with their shag carpeting. My childhood is retroactively traumatic.
Old 11 December 2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Well, screwed that up. What I get for trying to post a link while using my phone, I guess.

Anyway: shag is a totally rude word.
Old 11 December 2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Out of curiosity, is there a corresponding rude German equivalent ("scheissesturm" or similar).
For the phenomenon of "receiving harsh critic by a lot of users in online media" there is no German word - we borrowed the word "shitstorm" for that.

"Scheisse" itself is a mildly rude word in German - one that most parents tell their kids not to use, but use themselves frequently when stubbing their toe or dropping the doorkey when taking in the shopping. It is perfectly acceptable in grown-up tv (like a evening crime show) and would probably raise only few eyebrows in childrens tv direct at over 12-yo.

But of course, here like over in the US, the opinions on what is or isn't acceptable in public vary widely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This is a bit like saying that we have too many rainbow parties and satanic ritual murders. The video just shows the crowd laughing.
Well,, you do have to many satanic ritual murders. Every country does.

I repeat my apologies for painting US American with a very broad brush!

The video, though, shows Merkel speaking in Nuremberg in front of a mainly German audience.