snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Weird News

Old 02 February 2015, 04:16 PM

Psychic Fourth grader suspended for bringing Sauron's One Ring to school

http://www.snopes.com/info/news/onering.asp

Quote:
Texas boy suspended for saying he could make classmate ‘disappear’ with ‘Lord of the Rings’ sorcery

Tolkien lore led a Texas boy to suspension after he brought his “one ring” to school.

Kermit Elementary School officials called it a threat when the 9-year-old boy, Aiden Steward, in a playful act of make-believe, told a classmate he could make him disappear with a ring forged in fictional Middle Earth’s Mount Doom.
Note that I only heard about this because Ian McKellen posted it to his Facebook page. Looks like Gandalf is on the case.
Old 02 February 2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Note that I only heard about this because Ian McKellen posted it to his Facebook page. Looks like Gandalf is on the case.
Epic Gandalf fight scene at the school!

Also, watdensfbsk?

Quote:
Two of the disciplinary actions this year were in-school suspensions for referring to a classmate as black and bringing his favorite book to school: "The Big Book of Knowledge."
But the teacher learned the popular children’s encyclopedia had a section on pregnancy, depicting a pregnant woman in an illustration, he explained.
Oh noes! a picture of a pregnant woman! We're all going to diiiiiieeeeeee!
Old 02 February 2015, 05:23 PM

But they have to cleanse the imagination ... devil out of him!
Old 02 February 2015, 05:27 PM

If that kid is not careful, HE SHALL NOT PASS all of his classes.
Old 02 February 2015, 05:57 PM

If he gets too many suspensions for bringing powerful weapons of evil to school, he mioght get on the no-fly list, and then he won't be able to...

"Fly, you fools!"

Old 02 February 2015, 06:19 PM

Australia

...but he shouldn't pick on kids morgullible than himself.
Old 02 February 2015, 06:24 PM

No

Quote:
The family moved to the Kermit Independent School District only six months ago...
And I bet they've been regretting it ever since.
Old 02 February 2015, 09:47 PM

Reading

The UL part of the Board now has an entry about this: http://www.snopes.com/info/news/onering.asp

While the entry ends on a whimsical note, I have to quibble about one point:
Quote:
The One Ring enables the ringbearer to become invisible but does not allow the ringbearer to make other people invisible. Also, only those with sufficient willpower, namely elf-lords and extraordinary hobbits, can properly wield the One Ring.
While the one ring could be and was used by Bilbo and Frodo for a few tricks - generally just the invisibility - they could by no means wield the power effectively, and indeed, the decision that Frodo should be the ring-bearer in the Fellowship relied largely on Gandalf's belief that a weak, but determined, hobbit was the most likely to be able to carry the ring through to destruction because his very inability to wield it took much of the temptation away.
Old 02 February 2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsie Plunkette View Post
And I bet they've been regretting it ever since.
I'm sure they are hopping mad.
Old 02 February 2015, 10:15 PM

So long as they don't croak.
Old 02 February 2015, 10:19 PM

Oh, you two! I am green with envy that you got to the puns first.
Old 02 February 2015, 11:16 PM

From the snopes article:

Quote:
Principal Roxanne Greer declined to comment on Aiden's suspension, saying that "all student stuff is confidential."
How, um, casual, of her. Every principal I ever had is probably either rolling over in their grave or rolling their eyes (location dependent) at that little comment.
Old 02 February 2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Oh, you two! I am green with envy that you got to the puns first.
And as we all know, it's not easy being green... with envy...
Old 02 February 2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
How, um, casual, of her. Every principal I ever had is probably either rolling over in their grave or rolling their eyes (location dependent) at that little comment.
Does it not completely convey the meaning? Do you object to its lack of technical jargon? She could have said 'data' or 'information' or other Latin or Greek derived words to sound highfalutin, but she used 'stuff' and communicated effectively.
Old 02 February 2015, 11:50 PM

And unprofessionally.

Go her!

~Psihala
Old 03 February 2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Oh noes! a picture of a pregnant woman! We're all going to diiiiiieeeeeee!
I was wondering if the book might possibly be more graphic than the father described, so I checked it on Amazon. It does have a chapter on reproduction and anatomy, which one reviewer said was explicit. I don't know anything about the school, but I can see a reasonable argument being made that it might be something that is more appropriate in the classroom or home than on the playground.

At any rate, there is a popular review posted that says it ought to have a warning about bringing it to Kermit, Texas.
Old 03 February 2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Pink Pill View Post
I was wondering if the book might possibly be more graphic than the father described, so I checked it on Amazon. It does have a chapter on reproduction and anatomy, which one reviewer said was explicit. I don't know anything about the school, but I can see a reasonable argument being made that it might be something that is more appropriate in the classroom or home than on the playground.

At any rate, there is a popular review posted that says it ought to have a warning about bringing it to Kermit, Texas.
There's explicit, and then there's realistic.

To me explicit is nsfbsk, hardcore Pr0n that should only be showed to people able to give informed consent.
Realistic is stuff you find in manuals: this is where babies come out of...and it's not a stork or a cabbage patch.

Old 03 February 2015, 02:07 PM

Realistic or not there is a time and a place for everything. If the child brought that book to school with the intention of sharing it with his little school chums I can understand the school reacting in some fashion, if only to stave off the almost inevitable calls from "concerned" parents. At any rate each thing the child has done seems minor in and of itself but if there is a pattern of behavior at work that is becoming apparent to the teachers and/or administrators (and especially if there are other incidents that the parents have not chosen to share with the rest of the world) it might not be a bad idea for the parents to take things a little more seriously rather than rushing to the media.
Old 03 February 2015, 02:31 PM

I agree, Sue. It appears that the entire tale comes only from the father, and he only has information based on what the kid is telling him. There is a lot of room there for self-interested filtering. I would not want to draw conclusions without getting more info.

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 03 February 2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03 February 2015, 02:35 PM

But pointing out a book as "forbidden at school" does nothing more than make the book more desirable. The whole "forbidden fruit" thing

The child brought the book to school to show to his teacher something else. The teacher found out that in another section of the book there's a "naughty image"

If the kid had brought a newspaper to show his friends his picture on first page because he won a prize, should he be suspended if in the personal section there are racy images of prostitutes or a bare chested demoiselle on page 3?