snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 13 October 2013, 03:14 AM

Ambulance Sixth-grader dies from asthma complications, no school nurse on duty

The father of sixth-grader Laporshia Massey says that she died from asthma complications that went untreated while she was at Bryant Elementary School in Philadelphia.

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/10/11/S...6111381495906/
Old 13 October 2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Jerry Jordan, president of the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers, believes the shortage of nurses is dangerous.
There are few schools here that have nurses, certainly no school my children ever attended. The solution here was not that a nurse be present it was that some adult in a position of authority accept some freaking responsibility and call an ambulance for that child or, at the very least, impress upon the parent in that phone call that the child was seriously ill.
Old 13 October 2013, 04:15 PM

What ever happen to the days when critical as need medications such as those for some asthma were allowed to be carried by the children but out of sight except when being used. The nurse and school were notified with a copy of the prescription that was keep on hand and teachers notified.
Old 13 October 2013, 04:36 PM

In a number of states, including Ohio, schools are required to allow students to carry rescue inhalers upon completion of appropriate paperwork. However, school districts do not necessarily encourage the practice, and that may be putting it mildly. In the large suburban school district DD attended, parents were instructed to bring inhalers to the office; they had to learn about the law independently and specifically request the appropriate form.

DD's inhaler was in the office for two years before I learned about and insisted on her right to carry it. The first year, she was in a school that had no gym and was bused to another school several days a week for PE -- without her inhaler, which stayed in the office at her home school. ETA: I didn't know the inhaler didn't make the trip until the end of the year. The second year, I brought in a new inhaler to switch out with an old one; the woman in charge of the meds cabinet in the office was at lunch and the other employee did not know where the key was kept. She found it, but it took several minutes, which is too long for an asthmatic kid in distress to wait to use an inhaler.

A co-worker's kid's school resisted letting the kid carry the inhaler until my co-worker read the relevant law to them and threatened to escalate the issue if necessary.

ETA: And not having school nurses is pretty standard around here, too, but that's not necessarily an issue for kids with asthma. The first thing a kid having an asthma attack needs is her rescue inhaler, and if that doesn't work she needs to go to the ER. Kid need to be allowed to carry their own inhalers as soon as they are old enough to do so (and should be taught and encouraged to take that responsibility as early as possible), and school employees need to understand the urgency of calling 911 if an inhaler doesn't work.
Old 13 October 2013, 04:54 PM

Communication seems to have been the issue in this case, more than the lack of a nurse, IMO.

I had to complete a form each year --whether the inhaler was with her or in the office -- stating how I wanted the school to handle asthma attacks. To the question of what they should do if her inhaler didn't relieve the symptoms, I answered "Call 911 immediately." Calling me first would have been a waste of time.
Old 13 October 2013, 05:27 PM

Icon07 Some Schools Don't Let Kids Carry Asthma Inhalers

Although all 50 states have laws that allow children with asthma to carry inhalers at school and 48 states have laws that let youngsters carry epinephrine pens for serious allergies, experts say that some kids are still being denied access to these lifesaving medications during the school day.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...sthma-inhalers
Old 13 October 2013, 11:05 PM

The Washington Post is reporting that Laporshia spoke directly to a family member.

Quote:
Laporshia called a family member, telling her repeatedly, “I can’t breathe. I can’t breathe.” A staff person drove the sixth grader home.
Unless this was her first asthma attack, I don't understand why the family member didn't take that seriously. It sounds like the staff did, if they drove her home personally. But even then, the father himself didn't call 911, but tried to drive her to the hospital himself.

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 13 October 2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 13 October 2013, 11:35 PM

Even when I was in primary school, some people had asthma and carried inhalers with them, and used them when they needed to. I can understand that an inhaler might not always be enough, but how come thirty years later they don't have inhalers at all? Surely it's a pretty straightforward thing?
Old 13 October 2013, 11:43 PM

Some of it is ignorance, on the part of parents and school officials. I don't understand why anyone who knows the law would resist it. They may underestimate how dangerous asthma can be -- even some people with asthma, or whose loved ones have asthma, do that. Pop culture depictions of asthma don't help -- the geeky kid uses his inhaler when he gets scared, then tosses it away when he finds his courage (because courage cures asthma? because it was all in his head?). And they may overestimate the risks of allowing kids to carry inhalers.
Old 13 October 2013, 11:48 PM

It is sounds to me like she hadn't had an attack before, and no one knew what was happening, and that the speculation is that a nurse would have recognized the seriousness of the illness. Though I admit I'm reading between the lines. The article is pretty vague.
Old 20 September 2015, 05:49 AM

Default Family of 12-year-old girl who died from asthma sues school district

The lawsuit, which names Laporshia's teacher and the principal of Bryant Elementary in the lawsuit, reveals new details about the circumstances leading up to the child's death.

"The absence of a nurse from the school on that was the result of policy decision by defendants[sic], and was not a transient or unexpected condition," the lawsuit states.

The suit states that the school had a policy forbidding children from taking medication without a school nurse present.

http://www.metro.us/local/family-of-...faOOMPVxehV3s/

This is a very late update, but I saw this thread listed at the bottom of another and remembered it. According to the suit the child was a known asthmatic,* but she was denied medication because of policy. It's hard to fathom.

*http://pennrecord.com/stories/510554...meds-at-school