snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 08 January 2016, 07:25 PM

Default Help keep my parrot off of the top of the door

I'm hoping some wise Snopesters will come up with some useful ideas for me.

We have a sweet, loving red-factor sun conure who has developed the dangerous habit of sitting on the top of open doors. (He can fly.) He's already had his claws trapped once when I didn't notice him, and he ran the risk of losing one. He's since healed, though the scraped skin off of one claw hasn't grown back, but he hasn't learned his lesson.

I've tried putting up deterrants such as tin foil and gift basket wrapping, which I was hoping would feel bad. They have stopped him for a short while (he'd see something unfamilar and fly away), until he acclimated. He eventually ripped off the tin foil and just ignored the basket wrapping.

I've also tried shaking the door when I catch him on it, but he just goes back to it later.

Our last parrot got killed by a door and I fear this one will have the same fate unless we can come up with something good.

I thought of putting something that sticks up (like fake grass) and removing it to close the door, but that's a pain, and DSes are too short to reach.

Any ideas for something that will feel unpleasant, will discourage acclimation, and still allow the door to close when needed?
Old 08 January 2016, 07:35 PM

Don't know about anything you could put on the door, but is there anything you could mount on the walls as alternate perches that might attract him away from the door?
Old 12 January 2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Don't know about anything you could put on the door, but is there anything you could mount on the walls as alternate perches that might attract him away from the door?
That's a good idea! He originally started off by climbing on shelves near the door (and chewing them up), so a perch could work, as long as we can wall-mount it. I think he just likes being high up, safe from predators, and superior to all other life forms. And because he would be allowed to be on the perch, I don't have to come up with some new thing to frighten him away.
Old 12 January 2016, 06:24 PM

I was thinking that a thick brush like weatherstripping might shoo him away.

Like this.

OY
Old 12 January 2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
I was thinking that a thick brush like weatherstripping might shoo him away.

Like this.

OY
Or an upside-down door sweep?

You may have to mount it outside the door so the door can still close. If the bird is large enough, the door sweep might be in the way of his perching.

Or even may be a wide broom head, upside down, mounted on hooks to be able to remove it.

OY
Old 12 January 2016, 06:28 PM

I think weatherstripping or a door sweep could work too. Thanks, guys, you've given me some alternatives rather than obsessively checking the door each time I close it.