snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 30 June 2015, 02:44 PM

Glasses

I'm all for air conditioning where it's appropriate (such as those places where it doesn't cool down at night or where the humidity makes even a little heat intolerable). What I get tired of is the amazement that my house stays so cool (this is NOT directed at my weekend visitors; their house is hard to keep cool) from people who leave their windows open all day and don't turn fans on at night.

Right now we're in one of the periods erwins mentioned, when it's not cooling down at night (I think the low on Sunday was 69 or something). If I do everything just right, I can get the house down to about 5 or 6 degrees above the low temperature. On Monday morning, for example, the house temperature was 74 when I got up at 5:30 am, and I thought I'd done a grand job getting it that low.

Luckily, this sort of thing rarely goes on for more than a few days (I got the house down to 67 as of this morning).

Unhijackably, I'm teaching Ferdinand to ride in a wagon, so we can walk farther than he's capable of (I'd like to walk at least two miles in the evening; a mile and a half is about his limit). He's getting the idea (lots of treats for staying in the wagon helps), and has even figured out the proper body position for going up and down curbs without falling out, but for some reason he's decided that standing is the preferred riding stance. One woman said last night that he looked like he was riding in a chariot.

He can climb out when he wants (we don't go that fast). If I want him to get out (usually when we're going downhill), I just stop giving him treats (they're the little training kind; he gets about 2 treats per very long block) and he'll eventually jump out. I need to get pictures, but if I stop to take them, he'll just climb out.

Seaboe
Old 30 June 2015, 03:04 PM

My townhouse in Seattle didn't have AC and it stayed pleasantly cool even when I didn't remember to shut the windows during the day. It didn't get a lot of direct sun, and the summers I was there were cooler than I think recent Seattle summers have been.
Old 03 July 2015, 02:46 PM

My little cockatiel, Jack, is sick. I just now noticed while cleaning his cage that he seems listless and has a bare spot on his head. He is pretty old, but I was hoping to have him for a few more years. I have turned a heater on his cage to help him stay warm. My experience with taking a sick bird to the vet seemed to be that the stress was the final straw, so I am reluctant to do that. I feel so helpless.
Old 03 July 2015, 07:31 PM

wanderwoman, can you call and consult with the vet. over the phone?
Old 03 July 2015, 09:34 PM

I put a heater next to his cage and fed him some scrambled eggs. I've been watching him, and he seems to be better. He was sitting on his perch with his eyes closed, and now he is eating and drinking and moving around (and making kissy motions with his beak when I talk to him. He is so sweet!) I'm going to keep an eye on him, but I think he may be okay. I hope!
Old 05 July 2015, 12:31 PM

Whalephant

Right now the coldest part of the lobby is the women's restroom. Apparently I am "impractical" and "giving guests the wrong first impression " by suggesting that I be allowed to drag a computer and printer into the women's room during my shift and work out of there . They'll be sorry when I keel over from overheating.
Old 05 July 2015, 12:43 PM

Kitap, that reminds me of when I was working at a sandwich shop as a teenager and the A/C went out on the proverbial hottest day of the year (I recall the official temp as 98 deg F, but our particular location was likely substantially hotter). We had almost no business and the area around the grill - my station - was over 130 deg. So I volunteered to clean the walk-in cooler, since business was so slow anyway. I took out all the tubs of ingredients and scrubbed every surface, all the racks, etc. 3 hours in 40 deg temps, with short breaks to warm up as needed. Ahhhhh!
Old 05 July 2015, 10:39 PM

Driver

I rescued a box turtle today in the drive through lane of a fast food place. I got my sorta-food and was leaving when I saw the little guy. I pulled over and went as quickly as I could -- I'd left my cape with the big S on it at home, so I was at a limited speed. I caught up to him and placed him back in the big grassy area leading down to the river. I'm sure all the people in the cars behind me were wondering what I was up to! I'd left my car running, door left open and ran (ok, walked as fast as I could) while holding something I grabbed out of the drive through lane -- obviously a mad woman!

The turtle didn't answer me when I asked him if his name was "Mack".
Old 06 July 2015, 01:07 AM

Good work, SuperMorning!
Old 06 July 2015, 01:45 AM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
The turtle didn't answer me when I asked him if his name was "Mack".
If he had said yes, would you have left him in the drive-through?
Old 06 July 2015, 01:55 AM

It took me way too long to figure out why some people complained about higher power bills in the summer (my summer bills are less than half of what my winter bills are).

I've never had A/C, but if I was still living in my last apartment (high up, all windows in a corner unit) I'd buy a portable one. Some nights it was unbearable, and I'd end up sleeping in the bathtub. The worst was that the apartment gym had no A/C and with south facing windows and machines running, it sometimes got close to 40c in that room even with a floor fan.

Our new place is nice. All the windows face our patio and are shaded by a big tree. The master bedroom has a deep covered balcony off of it, so it gets no direct sunlight. It's been bliss.
Old 06 July 2015, 02:08 AM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
If he had said yes, would you have left him in the drive-through?
No, I'd have asked him if he needed a ride back to Georgia.

Then I'd see my doctor about upping certain medications.....

Old 06 July 2015, 02:16 PM

I've been working for my current employer for nine months now, and only today did I discover that our building has an outside courtyard. And not just any courtyard, but one with a view:

One of my friends pointed out that if I was a smoker I would have discovered it on my first day.
Old 06 July 2015, 03:08 PM

Glasses

I believe Ferdinand has decided I am his own personal salt lick (although I try to discourage him from licking me). He's not sitting on my lap much (it's too hot for that), but he sits as near as he can and licks. He's a right little furnace, too, so I'm trying to encourage him to lie on the floor in the path of the fan instead.

Seaboe
Old 06 July 2015, 09:23 PM

Hello Kitty

Looking through diatomaceous earth reviews on Amazon is like looking into the jaws of woo science. I just wanted to know if this particular product is safe for my cats, but now I have learned that it will apparently make me stop craving sweets, make my hair and fingernails grow stronger, cause weight loss, and turn me into a goddamn unicorn!
Old 07 July 2015, 12:59 AM

If it turns you into a unicorn, I don't know whether this will be safe for your cats, but it will certainly be confusing for them.

-- can a unicorn open cat food cans?

ETA: are either of these any help?

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9923703
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html -- says some formulations can be used on cats, but doesn't specify which ones.

I think I'd ask the vet.

Last edited by thorny locust; 07 July 2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07 July 2015, 03:26 AM

Hello Kitty

It should be fine as long as it's food grade. I ordered a bag of food-grade DE and will mostly be using it around my cats rather than on them.

That said, I do look forward to developing magical unicorn powers.
Old 07 July 2015, 03:44 AM

I'm in a "I want to run away and join the circus" mood, and half tempted to see if I just run off to Southern California and make up one of my on-the-spot parodies for either Joss Whedon or Seth MacFarlane, would maybe one of 'em hire me for his writing staff.
Old 11 July 2015, 08:11 PM

Veruca, so glad your kitties are safe! Is there anything we can do to help- clothing, stuff, etc.?

I love my central air conditioning. I never had it until I was 28 year old, but now that I've experienced how glorious is can be during summer to have it, I will never live without it again. Just being able to breathe freely is a God send.
Old 13 July 2015, 02:53 PM

Glasses

I apparently drove my invisible truck to work again this morning. Certainly the woman changing lanes and the man turning left across my path didn't see it. I wish I could tell when I'm driving the invisible truck, but to my eyes it looks exactly like the visible one, which makes it hard.

Ferdinand and I walked four miles yesterday (actually, I walked farther than he did as I carried him in a few places either because of impatience or hot asphalt). He was so tuckered out by the experience that he was ready to go to bed as soon as he'd eaten his dinner last night (around 6). And he was still dragging this morning--although that could be his usual "I don't want you to get the idea I love to take my walks" attitude.

Seaboe
Closed Thread