snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 15 August 2015, 04:14 PM

I'm going to go with a "no sympathy" vote. For me if there is a certain cut of meat that must be prepared in a very specific way in order for you to enjoy it (or even just plain eat it) then ordering it in a busy restaurant may be a mistake. Have the spaghetti instead.
Old 15 August 2015, 04:40 PM

Agreed. I have an aunt who used to be very, very particular about her scrambled eggs. She would always be specific in her ordering and send them back, sometimes multiple times. I don't understand why she didn't just order something up.

I think being that fussy about how something must be prepared is thoughtless and selfish.
Old 16 August 2015, 02:24 AM

I would love to get grocery/department store/pet store brand permethrin based flea treatments for cats banned. Even with the "safe" dose, we see a bunch of toxicity. I had two emergencies last night due to flea collars on cats. And even in the ones that don't get toxic, they still seem to have fleas anyway.
Old 16 August 2015, 08:52 AM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
My congratulations to you Laine. I've been trying to figure out how to hijack this string of threads for years and have thus far been thwarted in my attempts by a Hollywood and other mass media conspiracy aimed at not making any films or literature entitled Unhijackable. They made a movie called Unstoppable, I figured Unhijackable was due!
Well, there is a 2006 album called Our Planes Are Unhijackable! by Italian heavy metal band Airlines of Terror so while Hollywood hasn't done it someone has.

Brian
Old 16 August 2015, 11:49 AM

All at the same seating:

My parents both ordered their Filet mignon medium rare. My dad's had lots of juice, my mother's not, indicating that the two cuts were not cooked the same.

My husband asked for pink in the middle, which confused the waiter. The cooked filet did not have any pink left, which didn't bother my husband, but I think it would have been tastier if it did.

I didn't have a cut of meat - I'm not that fond of steak, and the texture can be strange to me.
Old 16 August 2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Agreed. I have an aunt who used to be very, very particular about her scrambled eggs. She would always be specific in her ordering and send them back, sometimes multiple times.
It doesn't sound as though dfresh's friend was particularly fussy though - more that he didn't actually like rare meat but (for whatever reason) had decided that he needed to order as though he liked it very rare indeed. One possible reason is that he didn't know what he was talking about and was trying to sound tough but couldn't handle it, in which case I have no sympathy.

But another possible reason in this case is that perhaps he was ordering in the way he'd learned to get the meat the way he liked it, and this is the first time he'd encountered a chef who took him quite so literally. In that case I do have some sympathy.

In the UK at least, if you were used to the concept of rare meat you used to have to order one or two grades rarer than you wanted just so it wasn't "burnt", because rare meat wasn't really in the national consciousness. It's a bit better these days but still, often you'll get completely different results even in the same place depending on what's going on in the kitchen. If you're paying a bit more and going to a nice place, you'll probably get more consistency, but it's also probably going to come out a grade rarer than you'd get in your local pub with the same instructions.

(eta) Bah! I was cooking breakfast while writing this, and forgot I'd just put the scrambled egg on, and in the time it took to write, the egg's gone all dry and ruined! I distinctly asked myself to leave it nice and moist! I have some lovely Irish soda bread which would have been great with moist eggs, and now it's all wrong!

Last edited by Richard W; 16 August 2015 at 01:11 PM.
Old 16 August 2015, 02:19 PM

There is a difference between asking for steak to be cooked as you prefer it -- after all if the restaurant wasn't interested in honouring these requests they shouldn't offer a choice -- and if it's a restaurant where steak is a speciality than you shouldn't have to worry overmuch about getting steak as you like it. However in a more standard, we have everything you can imagine, kind of restaurant if your meal will be ruined if your meat isn't done to an exacting specification - to the point (and I have seen this) where you will sit and pout throughout the meal, thereby ruining everyone else's evening too - perhaps you need to either not order something that must be cooked to an exacting specification or ask to go back into the kitchen and cook it yourself!
Old 16 August 2015, 04:32 PM

I know I haven't posted here in forever. And as some may know my mom has terminal cancer.

She's been fighting the good fight for nearly a year. She will more likely make it to the year mark her doctor gave her which is great news. Yay mom.

She's been getting chemo that has been working for her, however they had to stop that because her blood counts kept bottoming out and staying there.

She went on Friday to see if they will do radiation. It's a process, her regular oncologist has to recommend it, then she has to see I guess a radiology oncologist, who looks over her scans to see if her cancer can be treated with radiation, and then they have to shoot dye up her groin that goes straight to the tumors and maps them all out so they can see where to administer the radiation.

She was approved for it, they'll map out her tumors on the 3rd of Sept. I'm not sure when treatment starts.

The new oncologist ( I swear, she is collecting oncologist ) is afraid that she will become bedridden. Radiation will zap whatever energy she has left and she really doesn't have any. Whenever I call she is in bed and sounds like I woke her up, she has to force herself out of bed each day and she is depressed because my mom has never been one to just sit around, she was always gone and doing something, she can't even wash a dish now and that also saddens her because she is a clean freak.

Anyways so they're worried she'll be bedridden and once that happens that isn't good, she might not ever get back up again.

But that isn't all. I also learned that her cancer is again spreading itself around her body. She now has a tumor on one of her ovaries and they believe she also has them on/in her stomach. She cannot have surgery to remove any of those, the type of cancer she has spreads around like wildfire and it's considered too dangerous for surgery. In fact if they knew what the tumor was a year ago on her colon, they would have left it, it's was just a work of something that they did the surgery and only found out what it was afterwards, we might not have had this past year with her.

All of that leads me to this:

I've come to the conclusion that my mom will not survive this. Her cancer is too dangerous and while she is putting up the good fight, in the end it will kill her. It just keeps spreading, no matter what they do, it just keeps spreading around like wildfire. And while I've tried my best to stay positive throughout all of this and find things that make it seem Ok, it's getting harder and harder.

I'll continue to stay upbeat for my mom and myself and hope against all hope that she makes it. I don't know how much time she has left but I hope it's a very long time, but I don't want her time to be like it is now because she has no quality of life, she just stays in bed all the time and that I know is killing her too.

But I mean you know if they didn't think she had a chance,they wouldn't be doing all this stuff, even if they say it's the worst cancer a person can get. Her regular oncologist is this no nonsense woman, man she is tough but honest and caring and I don't think she would put my mom through treatments that wouldn't help her, so if she thinks radiation can work then maybe it will and then she can get chemo for the other spots after the radiation.

I mean I just can't give up all hope. I have to still have some. SO I will probably continue to look for any little thing that will give that too me.

E*E
Old 16 August 2015, 05:40 PM

I'm so sorry, E*E. I wish there was something I could do. Hugs and vibes headed your way.
Old 16 August 2015, 05:58 PM

Enchanting_eyes, I am very sorry.

Can you have a conversation with your mother about what she wants to do now? She may indeed want to have the radiation therapy; or she may not want to. It might be helpful for her to talk about it and to be reminded that it's her decision, she doesn't need to automatically do either one.

I don't of course know whether you're the right person for her to have the conversation with.
Old 16 August 2015, 06:42 PM

Thank you both. It's just something that I need to come to terms with. If she makes, great that would be totally awesome but I need to be prepared in case she doesn't. I still have hope though, we all do.

Last we spoke on it, she wants to try it. She said she would do one treatment and if she can't handle it then she will stop and we'll go from there. I think she will probably stick it out for how may treatments she'll need.
I do know they will do the right side first since then in a few weeks they'll do the other side.

She's been off chemo for awhile because of her counts, though she goes in for Avastin to keep the cancer from growing. But now they've stopped that because they need to see the cancer when they map it out in a few weeks.

I think her energy levels are two fold, of course a lot of it is the treatments she has been getting but also she is depressed, I mean I honestly can't see how she wouldn't be. She was once this very lively woman who did all sorts of things and now she spends her time in bed way too tired to do anything. Every so often she will have a good week where she got out and went places and did things and that will lift her spirits and then she'll get tired and be in bed and that brings her right back down again.

I wish I could do something, anything. I just don't know anything to do. As I said, I try to find anything positive and go with that and sometimes that works.
Old 16 August 2015, 09:08 PM

Offering a treatment doesn't mean that they think it can cure her, or even give her a lot more time. It means it's an available treatment that has a chance of slowing the cancer, or giving her some amount of additional time, even if it's only a little bit.

It's a very personal decision for someone to decide how much to fight, and how hard. My stepfather has an extremely aggressive form of cancer (small cell carcinoma) that people on average die from within 3 months of diagnosis. He's going on a year from diagnosis, but it has spread to his liver and brain. He still wants every treatment, because he isn't ready to go. But it won't be much longer.

I'm very sorry this is happening to your mom. If you think it would be helpful, you might want to help her think through what the doctors say a treatment is expected to give her vs what it will take from her. It could be helpful to talk with her about what questions to ask the doctors about the treatments. It's a terrible thing to be going through for both of you.
Old 16 August 2015, 11:50 PM

(((((((E*E)))))))
Keeping you and your mom in my thoughts.
Old 17 August 2015, 02:11 AM

E*E, I am so sorry to hear about your mom's cancer. As others have said, the treatments being offered are options she can consider. My mom's oncologist offered her chemo and talked about curing her ovarian cancer. When she asked what 'cure' meant, he admitted it meant surviving five years after diagnosis. As long as she was willing to try, he had something to suggest. She was the one who had to finally say she didn't want anymore.
Each case is different, and each person's process through treatment is different.
You and your mother will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 20 August 2015, 06:54 PM

At my sister's church Sunday morning they played Amazing Grace to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun." The songs fit but it caused a bit of consternation amongst the congregation. One old guy with dementia said to his wife "They're playing that song about the whorehouse!"
Old 20 August 2015, 07:00 PM

Next time, tell them to sing it to the tune of Gilligan's Island.
Old 20 August 2015, 11:01 PM

My pastor told me about that one(I didn't hear about "House Of The Rising Sun" until later).
Old 20 August 2015, 11:28 PM

The Mickey Mouse Club theme works, too. I learned that from Garrison Keillor.
Old 20 August 2015, 11:38 PM

Icon106

If you want to at least keep it to a religious theme, try Amazing Grace set to the tune of O Little Town of Bethlehem or It Came Upon A Midnight Clear.
Old 21 August 2015, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogers View Post
At my sister's church Sunday morning they played Amazing Grace to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun." The songs fit but it caused a bit of consternation amongst the congregation. One old guy with dementia said to his wife "They're playing that song about the whorehouse!"
I saw the Blind Boys of Alabama sing this version on television - it was amazing. Apparently they've released a recorded version as well.
Closed Thread