snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 18 April 2016, 03:21 PM

Default When things go right!

So my wifs estranged father passed away in March. He lived in portugal -- and although she attempted to rebuild their failed relationship 5 years ago -- they really haven't seen each other for 20 years (when my wife came to Canada).

While she was in Portugal settling the estate she found that he had a dog that he had abandoned in one of his properties about 2 months before he passed -- a 3 year old pit bull. The neighbors were feeding him over the fence - and the dog was apparently growling and protective of his property.

So what to do with this dog? It could not be imported back to Canada (Pit bus are banned even if we had the facilities for a dog) and they only had a week in Portugal as it was..

They contacted the local SPCA and were told that as long as they dog had a home (it did) and owners (apparently us) they would do nothing... now if he "escaped" then they could deal with him...... but that was out of the question ..

She attended the property with her brother -- and - 6th sense? the dog was actually accepting of them and very friendly... they paid the neighbors for the food they had already provided, as well as purchased more food so they could continue to care.
Then she started looking for a rescue center for him.. and we found one! Zarco (the dog) is now in a kill free shelter being trained and acclimatized to people and contact with other animals.

Below is the write up (in its original portuguese) as well as a rough translation --

He seems like such a happy boy now -- and i am so glad he has a future...
We are going back to Lisbin in July and intend to make a donation to the shelter in thanks ... i love it when things go right!

Quote:
Há histórias que podiam começar pelo fim “e viveram felizes para sempre” mas por vezes para este fim existir deparamo-nos com o final de uma outra história, um final triste que doí, que nos aperta o coração e que não nos permite ficar indiferentes.
Conhecemos recentemente o Zarco e a sua história… cão jovem, de uma beleza irrepetível, de uma doçura extrema, de olhar triste… na alma a mágoa de ter perdido o dono, no coração a saudade da sua partida. O Zarco sobrevivia sozinho na sua casa, mergulhado na solidão, alimentado pelos vizinhos, a pedido dos filhos do dono, desejando que o pesadelo acabasse e que alguém o voltasse a confortar.
Se o Zarco falasse teria muito para nos contar, mas o seu olhar falava por ele e a sua tristeza também… A História do Zarco foi divulgada numa página de ajuda a Pit Bulls e tocou muitos corações, como podia um cão destes viver assim? Abandonado na sua própria casa, à espera de alguém que não ia regressar?
O coração da UPPA disparou, temos muito carinho por todos os cães, mas uma especial preocupação por aqueles cuja raça gera preconceito, ganância ou maldade todos os cães merecem ser amados por aquilo que são e não pela raça que têm, todos os cães merecem ser tratados com respeito e dignidade independente da raça que têm. Sim o Zarco é um Pit Bull, maravilhoso como todos os outros que ao longo da vida UPPAliana tivemos o privilégio de conhecer e de constatar o quanto é injusto os mitos que se criam à volta destes seres especiais que cujo coração é proporcional à sua força, cuja capacidade de perdão é muito superior à dos humanos.
No dia em que conhecemos o Zarco sentimos o peso da sua tristeza mas também o tamanho da sua bondade, foi abraçado, beijado, apertado e como ele gostou! !!Rapidamente verificamos que, tal como todos os outros cães, o Zarco apenas precisa de AMOR para ser feliz!

Num abraço apertado dissemos ao Zarco que nunca mais iria estar sozinho, que dali só sairia para um lar onde pudesse ser amado tal como nós o amamos e o Zarco sorriu! Mas o seu sorriso não durou para sempre…o querido Zarco é um cão muito carente que precisa de calor humano, que precisa de abraços e companhia constante… muitas vezes o sorriso dá lugar novamente à tristeza e o Zarco chora… e o nosso coração dói e a nossa alma mirra… só queremos que um bom coração apareça para lhe dar a vida que merece, só queremos dar-lhe uma família e dizer com segurança “e viveram felizes para sempre”!

Quote:
There are stories that I could start at the end "and they lived happily ever after" but sometimes there is to this end we are faced with the end of another story, a sad ending that it hurts, we squeeze the heart and that does not allow us to be indifferent .
We have recently seen the zarco and its history... The young dog, a beauty unrepeatable, an extreme sweetness, looking sad... In the soul the grief of having lost the owner, in the heart, the longing of your departure. The Zarco survived alone in your house, dipped in solitude, fed by the neighbors, at the request of the children of the owner, wishing that the nightmare was over and that someone returned him to comfort her.
If the zarco talk would have a lot to tell us, but the look in his eyes spoke for him and his sadness too... The story of the zarco was disclosed in a help page the pit bulls and touched many hearts, how could a dog like this to live like this? Abandoned in his own home, waiting for someone who wasn't gonna come back?
The heart of the aquipass fired, we have so much love for all dogs, but a particular concern for those whose race generates prejudice, greed or evil all dogs deserve to be loved for what they are and not for their race, all of which have the dogs deserve to be Treated with respect and dignity regardless of race. Yes the zarco is a pit bull, as wonderful as all the others that throughout life uppaliana we had the privilege to meet and see how it is unfair the myths that are created around these special beings that whose heart is proportional to its strength, Whose capacity for forgiveness is much higher than that of humans.
The day I met the zarco feel the weight of your sorrow but also the size of his goodness, was hugged, kissed, tight and how he likes it! !! Soon we can see that, like all the other dogs, the zarco only need love to be happy!
In a tight hug we told zarco that would never be alone, that there would be only for a home where I could be loved as we love him and the zarco smiled! But your smile didn't last forever... The dear zarco is a very needy dog who needs warmth, that needs hugs and constant companion... Many times the smile gives way again to the sadness and the zarco cries... And it hurts our heart and our soul myrrh... We just want a good heart shows up to give her the life she deserves, we just want to give you a family and safely say "and they lived happily ever after"!
If you want to be the family of the zarco contact aquipass!
Raça:Pit Bull
Castrated
Young
Old 18 April 2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
She attended the property with her brother -- and - 6th sense? the dog was actually accepting of them and very friendly...

i love it when things go right!
I suspect somehow dogs can identify blood relatives of their owners. I know my SIL's dogs behave better (and towards) my husband than other people the dogs see more often.

And I'm happy to see a happy ending for the sweet dog who did nothing wrong but was born a pit bull.
Old 18 April 2016, 06:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I suspect somehow dogs can identify blood relatives of their owners.
My parents' dog Jenny knew my brother was family the first time she met him.

Seaboe
Old 18 April 2016, 06:34 PM

Zarco is adorable. I especially like that last photo.
Old 18 April 2016, 08:25 PM

I particularly like the shift between the first and last photos.

Photo #1: I am a Sad Dog. Things are Not Right.

Photo #3: WOW! Things are a whole lot better! Now there are even belly rubs!
Old 18 April 2016, 09:05 PM

Clearly that is one vicious demented pibble!
Old 18 April 2016, 10:00 PM

That last photo is 100% big goofy Pibble. (Side rant: I keep hoping Ontario will come to its senses and lift that stupid ban.)
Old 21 April 2016, 01:00 AM

he is progressing very well -- he really did just need a little bit of love - he is still bad with other male dogs -- but he loves the ladies
Old 21 April 2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I suspect somehow dogs can identify blood relatives of their owners.
Dogs have a very sophisticated sense of smell. It is an important ability for many types of animals with a good sense of smell to be able to recognize kinship. For humans, we get some very vague, almost subconscious signals from one another via scent. But for dogs that sort of thing is clear as day. And through domestication dogs have learned to redirect their canine social behaviors to become attuned to human social cues, so it makes sense that they could learn to distinguish human kin relationships much like they would with other dogs.

Humans would go by facial similarity to detect kinship, which sometimes works OK, but can have a lot of false positive and false negatives. But dogs are less visual. Olfactory signatures have a ton of information and seems to be more reliable for this sort of thing, to a sufficiently advanced nose.

Last edited by Errata; 21 April 2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 21 April 2016, 03:45 AM

Humans are also capable of olfactory kin recognition. Just saying - we don't suck at smelling!
Old 21 April 2016, 04:51 AM

Compared to dogs we do. Certainly I wouldn't be able to consciously discern whether a particular dog was related to mine or not by smelling them. I mentioned that humans get this kind of information, but it's very subtle for us. Most mammals can to some extent, but humans tend to be pretty visual creatures.
Old 21 April 2016, 06:21 AM

Dog

That is a very popular opinion. However, since humans are pretty good at olfactory kin recognition according to the research, I wouldn't accept the claim without evidence from specific comparisons.