snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 18 October 2013, 04:03 PM

Glasses Unhijackable thread

I wanted to start this by quoting Wildabeast, but I can't figure out how to quote from a closed thread. Since it was just to say that yes, the dill pickle tile is shade of green (amazingly close to the actual color of dill pickles), I guess I don't really need the quote, though.

Last night I brought my work computer home because I'd not felt particularly well all week and had decided to take part of a sick day today if I felt the same way when I got up today. Boy, am I glad I did, although not for the reason I thought I'd be.

About three weeks ago, I stopped taking glucosamine for my tendonitis. I did it for a number of reasons, including that I had been taking it very erratically for most of this year, with no consequences, and that none of the medical studies on humans showed it did any good. Now, I don't know whether this is a coincidence or not, but I'm at home today with the worst tendonitis flareup I've had since the initial injury that revealed the extent of the problem. The pain was so bad last night that I took one of the pills I was given to deal with the pain after my surgery last year (that I didn't need, then). I think it's a generic Oxyconten (however that's spelled).

My shoulder still hurts, but the pill let me sleep last night. I took a second pill 4 hours later and am going to try not to take any more (because now my stomach is upset and I'm dizzy). Setting aside the dizziness, my shoulder still hurts enough that the very idea of trying to drive makes me cringe (I drive a manual). I'm hoping I can drive by Monday.

Seaboe
Old 18 October 2013, 05:28 PM

In the last thread, I complained that my Cheeto kitty had stopped sleeping on my bed (or rather, on me) at night. This morning he curled up on my tummy, purring loudly -- 3 minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off.
Old 18 October 2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
In the last thread, I complained that my Cheeto kitty had stopped sleeping on my bed (or rather, on me) at night. This morning he curled up on my tummy, purring loudly -- 3 minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off.
Hurray for 3 minutes of Cheeto Kitty tummy purring!

Old 18 October 2013, 08:45 PM

Chicken

I just ordered a chicken finger dinner from my usual order-out place. Unfortunately, I called it a Chicken Finger Dinger.

Old 18 October 2013, 09:35 PM

good one smittykins!

My absurdity from yesterday comes in two parts: (a little long but it gets good)

We have new neighbors and I had sent over a nice note welcoming them to the area, giving a bit of info on us and that I would love to have sent a batch of cookies or something as a welcoming gift but that you never know if someone is diabetic, gluten free, etc and to call if they needed anything or when they got settled in.

Yesterday I got the call and was asked to come over.

I did so. I sat and we began chatting and all of a sudden their chair vibrated on me. OK. I did not scream or pee myself - I just stated their chair was vibrating.
They got all embarrassed and said it was the throw pillow that was suppose to vibrate when you lean against it but that it had not been working lately, they were very sorry.

Turns out they have a special needs daughter who was sitting with us and you all should know me - of course I tried to keep her involved in our get to know you conversation.

So I told the story of my Dad being afraid of the cat that likes to get into our cupboard drawers. I stood and pantomimed how the story went - he at the sink... drawer slides open and he kicks it closed! Drawer slides open again and he KICKS it closed! Remember, I'm pantomiming this story to the delight of their daughter.

On the second "KICK" - - - my shoe flipped off and flung across the room!

Oh yeah, only I could do something like that. Way to make an impression on new neighbors - fling your shoe across their living room.

That was a pretty good one on the embarrassment level - but still not as bad as when I dropped my skirt at a big wig special convention...
Old 18 October 2013, 09:44 PM

http://www.citizenobserver.com/cov6/....html?id=35282

Got this in my local updates from the police department.

Creepy Joe here reports a house break in at friend A's house he's watching. A comes back and suspects he was sleeping there. Neighbor B reports coming home and finding that someone has given her the Three Bears treatment except instead of finding Goldilocks in her bed, she finds a freaking Scream rape kit in her closet along with gun reported missing from neighbor A. This story really creeped me out.
Old 18 October 2013, 11:33 PM

I've been working at my job for three months, and I hate everything about it. The job, the coworkers, the scheduling, the place in general...on a "good" day it sucks. On a bad day, I hate it so much I want to vomit and cry and kill myself. I don't want to waste another second of my life there.

I thought about listing all the reasons why I hate it, but the details aren't important. The only reasons I haven't quit yet are (1) a meager paycheck is better than none; (2) I can't find anything better that I'm remotely qualified for (I have no marketable job skills), (3) Nearly everything here is part-time, minimum wage (4) If I quit now, I'll have a huge employment gap on my resume because I was unemployed for the first half of the year, and I don't want to bother putting this job on my resume even if I manage not to burn bridges by quitting tomorrow.

I'm just stuck in this unskilled labor/minimum wage hole that I can't pull myself out of, and I hate every minute of it.
Old 21 October 2013, 06:25 AM

The seven little things that annoyed me by being born when I was PROMISED they weren't due yet, turned 2 weeks old today. Eyes have opened. Cute reserves have been tapped. Momma is still unsure, but all are healthy and well.

Old 21 October 2013, 02:28 PM

Glasses

Thanks for doing your part to prevent puppy explosions, LL.

It's Monday and I drove to work this morning. Of course, I feel awful and may end up going home again, but at least I made the drive almost painlessly. Reverse gear gave me a pang or two. I'm hoping my current headache and unhappy tummy are the tail end of narcotics hangover although, since I took the last of the 6 pills I took (over the course of three nights) yesterday at 1:20 am, I fear I may just be sick.

Yesterday, after 1:20 am, the only painkillers I took were aspirin, and more for this headache than for my shoulder. That's feeling much, much better. It was the weekend for bad shoulders among my facebook friends, though. I was one of three sufferers.

Seaboe
Old 21 October 2013, 02:47 PM

I had two entirely different dreams last night in which ceiling fans tore themselves apart. I checked the two fans in my house and everything is okay, but I am stuck wondering if a helicopter is going to come down on my house today or something.
Old 22 October 2013, 04:37 AM

Squirrel

Yesterday I was trying to trap a skunk, and instead I caught a squirrel. Twice.
Old 22 October 2013, 05:00 AM
Barbara

Whalephant

Maybe if you try to trap a squirrel, you'll catch two raccoons.
Old 22 October 2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Yesterday I was trying to trap a skunk, and instead I caught a squirrel. Twice.
Change your names to Boris and Natasha, and next time you'll catch his friend the moose.
Old 22 October 2013, 05:14 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I know how this turns out: I end up trying to trap a rhinoceros to catch an elephant, and then I have to find something bigger than an elephant to trap.
Old 22 October 2013, 05:25 AM

Want a puppy instead?
Old 22 October 2013, 06:49 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Hey buddy, got change of a possum?

Sorry, all I got is two racoons and a beaver.

Dropbear
Old 22 October 2013, 07:10 AM

I don't know why he swallowed that fly.
Old 22 October 2013, 01:25 PM

But I don't know why he swallowed a fly.
Old 22 October 2013, 02:07 PM

Egads. How did I miss that Marrya had already posted that?! Well, great minds think alike.
Old 22 October 2013, 08:22 PM
Barbara

Whalephant

A month ago or thereabouts, a critter got into our chicken pen and killed some of our chickens. He worked it out that it had to have been a raccoon. In addition to now locking the chickens in their hen houses at night, he took to setting out a trap to catch the raccoon. He subsequently - on two separate occasions - trapped a skunk. (Both times we paid someone to take the skunk off our property and release it into the wild.)

During all this, a skunk took to living under the enclosed porch. Realizing he was having no luck catching the raccoon, that the chickens were now in little danger (thanks to their being locked in at night) and that he now had a more pressing problem, he began trying to trap the skunk that was making his favorite resting spot a tad too malodorous to actually enjoy.

Since attempting to trap the skunk, he has now - on two separate occasions - caught a squirrel.

Clearly, then, the answer is for him to try to trap a squirrel.
Closed Thread