snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 04 January 2019, 10:26 PM

Default Hundreds of TSA screeners, working without pay, calling out sick at major airports

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/polit...ing/index.html

Quote:
Hundreds of Transportation Security Administration officers, who are required to work without paychecks through the partial government shutdown, have called out from work this week from at least four major airports, according to two senior agency officials and three TSA employee union officials.
I can't really blame them. I wouldn't want to go to work if I wasn't getting paid, either.
Old 05 January 2019, 12:09 AM

Yeah, I am pretty sure I would get sick of it after going in for two weeks without pay. Darn those Democrats, having control of the House, Senate and Presidency 10 years ago and not fixing this!
Old 05 January 2019, 01:16 AM

Welp, just booked another trip to Mexico next month. For their sake and mine I hope this gets sorted out soon.
Old 05 January 2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/polit...ing/index.html

I can't really blame them. I wouldn't want to go to work if I wasn't getting paid, either.
But... but... Dear Leader insisted Government workers were on his side! They want not to be paid until The Wall™ is funded!

I'm so confused!

~Psihala
Old 05 January 2019, 03:02 AM

He seems to have insisted both that people going without paychecks back him, and that they're mostly Democrats.

What's a little contradiction between, ah, selves?
Old 05 January 2019, 04:39 AM

The truth as he sees it is whatever is needed to fit his narrative at this precise moment. Regardless of what was needed in a previous moment. Even if that previous moment was two minutes ago.
Old 11 January 2019, 02:53 PM

Baseball

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...-border-agents

Not quite the same as the OP title, but I did not think this deserved its own thread...

In order to assist Canadian citizens and businesses move people and goods across the border, several provincial governments are contemplating picking up the tab for US border agents to work specific crossings.

Needless to say, it is drawing fire here in Canada because Canadian and Provincial tax dollars would be paying for US public servants, but the counter point is that Canadian businesses are being harmed by the US shutdown, and this is a response that Provincial governments can take to ease the situation.

I heard it on the radio, and the NS article was the first one I found.

I hope the shutdown ends soon. I fly through the US with my daughters next week (twice) and don't want any disruptions.
Old 11 January 2019, 03:09 PM

Australia

A friend of mine works for GeoScience Australia developing data from Sentinel-2 satellites to monitor water levels across Australia but the data pipeline has been broken for weeks because ..... you guessed it! .... one of the datasets was being supplied by the US Department of Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration which is currently closed down. They're working on putting together an alternate dataset and "lessen [their] reliance on US government data."

The shutdown is screwing up people's lives all over the world.
Old 12 January 2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
In order to assist Canadian citizens and businesses move people and goods across the border, several provincial governments are contemplating picking up the tab for US border agents to work specific crossings.

Needless to say, it is drawing fire here in Canada because Canadian and Provincial tax dollars would be paying for US public servants, but the counter point is that Canadian businesses are being harmed by the US shutdown, and this is a response that Provincial governments can take to ease the situation.
I wonder if they could work out something where the provincial governments advanced the money to keep the border agents working, and then get paid back once the shutdown ends? Seems like it would be a win for everyone - the agents keep getting paid instead of having to wait for back pay, and things keep moving. But I'm not sure who you'd make the deal with...