snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 07 November 2018, 08:21 PM

Default Jeff Sessions forced out as attorney general

Jeff Sessions has been forced out as attorney general. "At your request, I am submitting my resignation," Sessions wrote to the president Wednesday. President Trump tweeted the news, Wednesday, writing, "We thank Attorney General Jeff Sessions for his service, and wish him well!" Mr. Trump has repeatedly criticized Sessions for recusing himself from the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeff-se...-live-updates/
Old 07 November 2018, 08:43 PM

I have very mixed emotions about this.

On the one hand, he was a vote-suppressing racist as head of the office that is supposed to fight illegal actions like racism and vote suppression.

On the other hand, the Trump Doctrine will mean that Sessions' replacement will be even worse with all of his vices and none of his virtue.
Old 07 November 2018, 09:55 PM

And the countdown to Mueller's firing just jumped ahead by a whole bunch. (Like, tomorrow, maybe?) It seems likely that he could name an interim AG who won't be recused, and who will fire Mueller. Then he will name someone (else) who is confirmable to actually be AG.

I would be surprised if Mueller does not make some very quick moves at this point. I await news of unsealing of indictments. Not sure whether he will immediately turn over all he has to the House, since the new House won't be seated until January. He's a pretty careful and savvy guy, and I bet he already has some contingencies in mind.

Also, I second everything GenYus said. And NFBSK Trump for making me upset that NFBSKing Jeff NFBSKing Sessions got fired as AG. These are pathetic times. (See also, being excited that the House, a body of 435 Representatives, now contains 87 women.)

Last edited by erwins; 07 November 2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08 November 2018, 01:07 AM

United States

I suspect that Mueller has spent the past couple of months preparing for this. It has been a poorly kept secret. Mueller has always appeared to be two steps ahead of the President.

So, I suspect and I hope that Mueller has fireproofed this investigation.

The madness that is the Trump presidency must be contained.
Old 08 November 2018, 01:20 PM

Jeff Sessions was one of the most loyal, early supporters of President Trump, and got treated badly and forced to resign. Won't others realize that serving in this administration is NOT going to go well for you, and they had better have contingency plans (such as being quick to testify for Mueller?) Trump just seems to have no idea that punishing people for being loyal to him doesn't inspire more loyalty.
Old 08 November 2018, 09:58 PM

It's now being reported that Sessions's interim replacement won't recuse himself from the Mueller investigation.
Old 09 November 2018, 01:36 PM

That is not a huge shock, crockoduck hunter. I am sure he is well aware of his own ability to be totally impartial, and knows there is no need to separate himself from Mueller.
Old 09 November 2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Won't others realize that serving in this administration is NOT going to go well for you
I would think they'd have realized it some time ago.
Old 09 November 2018, 02:27 PM

Though there is a lot of discussion that the replacement may be illegal. Surprise, surprise Trump not aware/caring what the rules are.

Reportedly, the rule used to name the new temporary Attorney General, when the Senate is in recess is only intended to be used if the current office holder dies, resigns, or retires during the recess. But it specifically says it can not be used if the current office holder is fired. And since Jeff Sessions started is resignation letter with "At your request...", many pundants indicate that is a fairly clear firing.

Looks like it could be an interesting time. I also wonder why Session's requested to not be let go until today, but was turned down?

Matthew Whitaker’s Appointment as Acting Attorney General Is Illegal

Quote:
It is not entirely clear, however, that Whitaker’s appointment is actually legal. That’s a problem for Trump because any federal criminal defendant could challenge Whitaker’s authority to prosecute him. There are three main arguments that such a defendant would likely raise against the appointment’s legality.

Last edited by iskinner; 09 November 2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09 November 2018, 04:35 PM

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...onsent-decrees
Quote:
Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, in one of his final acts as the nation’s top cop, curtailed the ability of law enforcement officials to use court-enforced agreements to create change within local police departments accused of civil rights violations.
Of course he did. This is why I'm only sorry to see him go because his replacement will be worse.
Old 09 November 2018, 07:27 PM

Glasses

I'm relatively certain that is directly aimed at the city of Seattle, GenYus. There's a big too-doo going on about changes being mandated right now.

Seaboe
Old 09 November 2018, 07:59 PM

I am sure that Republicans will oppose the big government coming in and telling local town police departments what kind of agreements they can get into.
Old 12 November 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I'm relatively certain that is directly aimed at the city of Seattle, GenYus. There's a big too-doo going on about changes being mandated right now.

Seaboe
Either that, or Chicago. Trump and Sessions have been mouthing off AGAINST the deal that the Chicago police are trying to work out with the courts.
Old 13 November 2018, 03:12 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
I am sure that Republicans will oppose the big government coming in and telling local town police departments what kind of agreements they can get into.
Since Sessions is such a fan of the Confederate States, Iím sure Sessions wouldnít dream of disrespecting another stateís rights, since the Confederacy believed so strongly in the issue that they seceded from the Union over it.