snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 06 November 2018, 09:30 PM

Voted around 2:30 this afternoon. No real wait, no line to get my ballot and only three people moving through fairly fast ahead of me to get it read and into the lockbox; but while this area usually gets good turnout for the population level (which is low by most standards), I think that was the most people I'd ever seen in there at 2:30 PM (I'd expect that many during lunch, or first thing, or right after work lets out for most people.)

Whether that's (from my point of view) a good sign, given the area's usual inclinations, remains to be seen, of course. I'm really hoping we can flip our House seat.
Old 06 November 2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Here they require postage if you mail them, but there are also lots of drop boxes around if you don't want to pay for postage.

Also ours have to be received by 8 pm on election day -- not postmarked by then. So it's too late to mail a ballot in. A few days before election day, people are advised to only use drop boxes to assure that the ballot will be counted.
Ours you can drop off at any polling place, among other locations. They only have to be postmarked by election day, which can result in a delay of some days before results can be finalized and very close races called.
Old 06 November 2018, 10:21 PM

In Oregon, the deadline to mail a ballot was Friday.
Old 06 November 2018, 11:11 PM

My husband and I are both registered as permanent vote-by-mail, but he didn't get his ballot this time. I filled mine out last night (there were a few minor offices I hadn't decided on, but we went through the voter info a few weeks ago and decided on most things then) and he dropped mine off this morning when he went to fill in his provisional.

There weren't a lot of Democratic vs Republican candidate races for me to vote on due to California's top-two primary system. I cast my lot with the incumbents for the most part; I'm hoping for a lot of fresh new liberal faces in office, but also that they unseat conservatives, not, say, Dianne Feinstein. Someone's going to have to know how to get stuff done. My husband may have canceled out some of those votes; he was undecided on a few when we talked. None of the ballot propositions have me as worked up as at least one usually does, but I read up on and voted on each one. I'm actually more interested in several of the races I didn't get to vote in, though I did donate to a lot of candidates this year.
Old 07 November 2018, 01:08 AM

Looks like Sherrod Brown will win reelection, so Ohio still has one Senator that won't embarrass us. I hope Cordray comes out ahead, especially with redistricting coming up. I'm in a gerrymandered district and it burns me to think that barring a stroke of luck OH-12 is probably stuck in GOP-apocalypse for another 2 years.

And Comstock's out. I'm laughing at all the money the Republicans sank into that race only to be shown the door.
Old 07 November 2018, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
My BFF is meeting a friend who can't be bothered to vote ("because it won't make any difference") with ballot & voter's pamphlet in hand, and has volunteered to drop off the completed ballot, all to make it as painless as possible.
I do agree that voting is important, but it's not quite honest to say that voting is easy, if you actually care to vote non-randomly, at least not in my state. I voted by mail a few weeks ago when California sent out them out, but it took me about 3 hours to fill out, including all the time it took to research minor races like judges and local commissioners, the 12 state ballot initiatives, plus some confusing local initiatives. The initiatives are often designed to be intentionally deceptive. Because of the way primaries work in California, sometimes it's two Democrats against each other. If it's as simple as a Democrat vs. a Republican, I don't need to research that race, but there's a lot going on.

How do people who don't vote by mail keep track of everything on election day? Do you bring in your filled out sample ballot and transcribe it to the actual ballot?
Old 07 November 2018, 01:58 AM

Hmm, I see that Alabama has overwhelmingly come out in favor of displaying the 10 Commandments in state buildings. And that access to abortion is not a right.
Old 07 November 2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post

How do people who don't vote by mail keep track of everything on election day? Do you bring in your filled out sample ballot and transcribe it to the actual ballot?
Take an issue like this:
Quote:
SC Amendment 1 question: Appoint Education Superintendent

If approved, voters would allow for the state education superintendent to be appointed, rather than elected. To be clear, a "yes" vote means allow for them to be appointed, a "no" means keep things the way they are. If approved, this does not go into effect until 2022.
Maybe democracy's jumped the shark at this point. I abstained from this one since this seems like the sort of things elected officials get elected to decide in the first place, and I have no idea what would be better or worse. Are elected state education superintendents better than appointed ones? How the hell would I know?

There were some local elections I had no idea about either, so I abstained from those as well. But the ones I had opinions on I just remembered who I was voting for. I abstained from enough that it wasn't that many.
Old 07 November 2018, 02:29 AM

I brought a piece of paper, with my selections on it, to vote today.
Old 07 November 2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
That's how I've done it, yes. I will also admit, since I'm a lot more partisan than I used to be (although I blame that on the fact that the idea of a 'moderate Republican' is pretty much now a contradiction in terms), I often rely on voter guides from sources I trust for issues I'm unsure about. (There's a group called "San Diego Democrats for Equality" which focuses heavily on LGBT issues, and I will generally follow their recommendations unless someone can give me a compelling reason not to.)

I was glad to find support for my contention that my increased partisanship is not my fault:

Political Scientists Trace American Democracy’s Severe Polarization To ****ing Idiots On Other Side Of Aisle
Old 07 November 2018, 03:54 AM

Before I voted by mail, I usually filled out the sample ballot and brought it with me.

CNN is cautiously optimistic about the Dems taking the House. Fingers crossed.

ETA: and they've called it!

Last edited by Esprise Me; 07 November 2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07 November 2018, 04:32 AM

Most of the flips are by Democratic women. Good, very good. Some of the pickups are even in Kansas and Oklahoma, which is eyecatching. And Pete Sessions went down so even if Beto O'Rourke didn't win, his coattails likely helped in defeating Sessions. And Gianforte went down in flames.

The hypersensitive 538 ticker almost gave me seizures earlier when it went rapidly to a +90% chance of a Dem flip then cratered to 39% almost simultaneous with the tightening race in Florida. Part of my brain was thinking that the ticker was overreacting, but the 2016 Pavlovian response to Florida! + Rustbelt Dem firewall breaking was enough to override that one logical part of my brain shouting in the wilderness that the algorithm was very probably nuts.

On a negative note, it looks like Ohio is stuck with DeWine. But at least several other states flipped to Dem control. I dearly hope Scott Walker gets taken down in Wisconsin. It looks like Evers is ahead by just a hair ATM.
Old 07 November 2018, 05:19 AM

I'm optimistic about the house races at the moment.

It looks quite likely that Michigan is going to legalize marijuana, which is IMO a good thing.
Old 07 November 2018, 05:58 AM

Kate Brown narrowly beat Knute Buehler for governor. That was a fairly close race for Oregon.

And thankfully Peter DeFazio beat Art Robinson again. I wonder if Art will ever get tired of losing: this is his fourth failure in a row and it's never been close. But he's a wacky Tea Party conspiracy nut who's relationship with reality is suspect.
Old 07 November 2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Hmm, I see that Alabama has overwhelmingly come out in favor of displaying the 10 Commandments in state buildings. And that access to abortion is not a right.
Surprising, huh?

Also, while I know the “NPC” meme has taken off like wildfire on the right (ironically), I do have to admit that it applies to both sides. The only difference is that I actually see the issues the Left rails on about, while the arguments from the Right just leave me confused. (Take, for example, Paul Joseph Watson’s video on “Soy Face”. In it, he seems to say that the “Soy Boy” meme is simultaneously meaningless and meaningful. Thankfully, all the actual thing-knowers just refused to acknowledge that part of the video).
Old 07 November 2018, 07:45 AM

Default White House, minimizing House loss, proclaims victory in midterms

The White House declared victory in the midterm elections Tuesday, citing Republican victories in contested Senate races, even as NBC News projected that Democrats would capture control of the House from the GOP for the first time in eight years.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...dterms-n933101
Old 07 November 2018, 08:03 AM

I was wondering how long it would take for the first calls for bipartisanship coming from the right after the Democrats won the House. Seems it didn't take long (from Psihala's link) :

Quote:
"The president will fight for exactly what he lays out, regardless of who is in control in the House," Sanders said. "The president will be able to work with Democrats and Republicans to make sure we're getting things done. Because that's what he came to Washington to do."
Old 07 November 2018, 08:31 AM

The chances of Trump working with a Dem-controlled House is some positive way are somewhere between 0 and Hell freezing over.

The very first challenge to his Administration is going to result in the same old and tired ranting Tweetstorms and whining we've been enduring since he took office.

I don't know what will happen in 2020, but its still going to seem an eternity away.

For me, the biggest take-away are the reports of higher-than-usual mid-term voter turnout numbers. Whatever the result, at least it seems to have woken up what I feel is an apathetic American voting public to the fact that voting participation matters.

~Psihala

Last edited by Psihala; 07 November 2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07 November 2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
The chances of Trump working with a Dem-controlled House is some positive way are somewhere between 0 and Hell freezing over.
Now he has someone to blame if people ask about the huge, glorious wall he has spent the last two years building (at Mexico's expense), or if the anticipated next recession occurs.
Old 07 November 2018, 02:04 PM

That's nothing new, he and his supporters have been blaming the Democrats for all his failures since day 1.