snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 12 May 2007, 10:06 AM

Icon86 Study: Outdoor smoke gets in your lungs

People may inhale high levels of secondhand smoke even on outside patios and sidewalk cafes, a new study shows.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ke-study_N.htm
Old 13 May 2007, 12:51 AM
We'veBeenHad

I seem to be exposed to a lot more smoke outdoors now than I was before the indoor smoking bans took effect. Used to be I could just avoid places that allowed smoking; now people are all huddled outside doing it. Since I'm very sensitive to smoke I've noticed it, and it's a marked difference. I've heard similar things from people in California, which has extensive bans.

Of course there are conflicting studies about dosages and dangers that say it is or isn't dangerous, inside or out. I guess the stage is being set for more full bans instead of just indoor bans.
Old 13 May 2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
People may inhale high levels of secondhand smoke even on outside patios and sidewalk cafes, a new study shows.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...ke-study_N.htm
If you can smell smoke then you are inhaling smoke, it's as simple as that. Here in Ireland, where we have had a total ban on indoor smoking for some years, we now have the irony of going inside a pub or resaurant to get fresh air.
Old 13 May 2007, 07:54 PM

Icon106

They ... asked me how I knew ...
Old 14 May 2007, 03:23 AM

When i am walking around outside in Downtown toronto, the only thing i can smell is exhaust from the cars.

Seems to me that there are a lot more of them, then smokers.
Old 14 May 2007, 09:33 PM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Done_Living View Post
When i am walking around outside in Downtown toronto, the only thing i can smell is exhaust from the cars.

Seems to me that there are a lot more of them, then smokers.
At least car exhaust smells better than cigarette smoke. No really, there's about nothing that smells worse than cigarettes to me. I almost always smell the smoke before I spot the smoker. Especially if they're a fair distance away. Open areas really are only a bit better than indoors.

The study didn't tell me anything I didn't know. In college our dorm was pretty modern and had a good air system, but we'd still smell smoke from jerks smoking right outside the doors (windows closed and on the second floor).
Old 15 May 2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Temple View Post
They ... asked me how I knew ...
Thanks. Now I've got an earworm. More acurately, I have a bad karoke version earworm, as it's the most recent hearing.
Old 15 May 2007, 05:18 AM

Even "naturally" occurring smoke is bad for you. A lot of people in Florida (myself included, unfortunately) are complaining of allergies/respiratory problems due to the wildfires.
Old 15 May 2007, 06:57 AM

Count me as another who isn't surprised.

I used to have asthma. I say "used to" because I haven't had an attack in years, but in the back of my mind I'm always worried the next overly intense workout, viral infection, or exposure to cigarette smoke could set me off again. Those three things were my triggers, and while I had some control over the first, and the second came with plenty of warning (breathing difficulties were the last of my symptoms to appear), the third kept me anxious. I could find myself next to a smoker almost any time, any place--and there might not be much I could do about it. Smoking has been banned in restaurants and many other indoor venues in California, where I grew up, for years. Unfortunately, nobody took me seriously when I said that being outside with smokers was just as bad.

Interesting and probably irrelevant tangent: I discovered when I was in college that what triggered my asthma wasn't tobacco smoke itself, but probably an additive in cigarettes. By that point I no longer had attacks, and was no longer using my inhaler. But I could feel my throat tightening when someone lit up, and would try to put some distance between us. I already knew that marijuana smoke didn't bother me, even firsthand. One night I was sharing a couple pipes with a group of people, and unwittingly took a puff of someone's tobacco pipe. It had a bit of a rank flavor to it, but it didn't send me into a hacking fit. Further observation confirmed that pipes, cigars, and American Spirits could be "safely" smoked in my presence. Still, I was pretty happy when Boston banned smoking in bars a few years ago. I much prefer not to be around the stuff at all.

Last edited by Esprise Me; 15 May 2007 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Hit "post" instead of "preview" and missed a few.
Old 15 May 2007, 07:10 AM

My humble suggestion: let's let businesses once again decide wether or not they want to allow smokers. Then the smokers will be at those businesses, ban smoking on public sidewalks, and you can go to a business that doesn't smoke. That, of course, would be too easy.
Old 26 May 2007, 02:14 AM
Zakor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgardDragon View Post
My humble suggestion: let's let businesses once again decide wether or not they want to allow smokers. Then the smokers will be at those businesses, ban smoking on public sidewalks, and you can go to a business that doesn't smoke. That, of course, would be too easy.
True, how dare they regulate public places.