snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 04 July 2018, 05:49 AM

I don't know the answers to all of the permutations of the hidden/mistaken treasure hypotheticals. With thrift stores, it might be that they generally assume the risk of something turning out to be more valuable than they think.

I'm fairly certain that is how it would work when someone sells a painting that itself turns out to be a Picasso (or whatever). If you sell a painting without having had it appraised, you assume the risk that it is more valuable than it appears to you. There is an exception that sometimes applies: If the buyer has the expertise to recognise that it's a valuable painting and they snatch it up, then the sale might be voidable based on the unilateral mistake of the seller, and the buyer taking advantage of it.

Buying a painting from an individual, where there's a second painting underneath -- it's possible that mutual mistake would apply, and the sale would be voidable, but it may depend on the exact circumstances.
Old 05 July 2018, 03:05 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Is that to make travel safer or to "encourage" more people to take the bus? And how do you know it is deliberate?
Let's start out by saying that the motives foranything done by the Seattle City Council are muddled. Their actions and reasons rarely seem to make sense when evaluated together.

That said, they have been very up front about the fact that slowing drivers down is a major reason behind putting arterials on what they call "road diets". They say this is to make it safer for bicyclists (who, btw, are not licensed or registered and do not contribute to the costs of any of this roadwork).

Yes, they want more people to ride transit. The way they're encouraging this is to put bus stops farther apart, cancel bus routes going directly downtown from outside the core, and eliminate parking at the bus transfer stations.

How do I know this is deliberate? Because when they change the bus stop to prevent the bus from pulling over, they have to open the project to public comment, explain what they are doing and why. Note: they will not actually change anything if the public comments show deep disapproval of the plan. What the public wants or thinks isn't relevant.

Seaboe
Old 05 July 2018, 04:17 PM

The last time I heard anything about the Seattle City Council changing anything about public transportation in response to public opinion, it was renaming the South Lake Union Trolley.
Old 06 July 2018, 01:14 PM

Sounds like traffic calming.

-- yup, that page specifically references Seattle.

Here's a couple more:

https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike...f/swless11.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_calming

Whether Seattle's applying it in a useful fashion I don't know; but it's not something weird that they came up with on their own.
Old 06 July 2018, 02:23 PM

Glasses

Oh, I never thought they did (they're great followers). The problem is that, in some places, the "road diets" end up killing the small businesses that depend on on-street parking, because eliminating parking in favor of bike lanes is one of the things they do. In other places, the diets drive cars off the arterials onto residential streets.

My major objection to all of this is, in fact, isn't the changes to the streets per se. It's that they are unwilling to listen to the residents of the neighborhoods that are being affected. The public comment period is a joke, because no matter how many comments they get against the project, it will go through as planned (I'm thinking specifically about 35th Ave. NE).

Seaboe
Old 06 July 2018, 02:27 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Note: they will not actually change anything if the public comments show deep disapproval of the plan. What the public wants or thinks isn't relevant.

Seaboe

Hey! Welcome to Montgomery County MD! When did you move?

I'm sure our respective governments are not alone in that attitude.
Old 06 July 2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Oh, I never thought they did (they're great followers). The problem is that, in some places, the "road diets" end up killing the small businesses that depend on on-street parking, because eliminating parking in favor of bike lanes is one of the things they do. In other places, the diets drive cars off the arterials onto residential streets.
Ah. Sounds like the way they're trying to do it is having the reverse of the effects that it's supposed to.

Yes, to get it to work right you'd have to suit it to the particular neighborhood; and while the bike lanes might make it easier for certain people to get to the shops, it's not reasonable to expect all their customers to start using bikes, so something else needs to be done to provide parking -- while heavy traffic driving fast can also discourage people from stopping at the stores, because it's hard to get in and out of the traffic lane, just making it hard to park at all in a commercial area seems likely to drive* people to the malls instead.

*intended
Old 06 July 2018, 07:50 PM

Glasses

The road diets appear to work best on 4 lane arterials that are converted to 3 lanes (each direction plus a turn lane) and bike lanes. Most of the 4 lane arterials didn't have parking to begin with, so no parking is lost. Getting turning cars out of the traffic lanes helps the traffic flow.

Seaboe
Old 11 July 2018, 04:29 PM

United States

If you really mean it when you say you hate what Trump is doing then don't keep posting crap about voting for any party but the Republicans. That's not going to get rid of a Republican majority and it sure isn't going to get rid of Trump down the road! Honestly, you didn't learn your lesson?
Old 12 July 2018, 12:04 PM

Teacher

TYSHTTYHousemates: We live at number 134. If you're going to bring the bins in the morning after bin night then don't bring in any bins with '136' written on them, it'll annoy our neighbour.
Old 12 July 2018, 02:16 PM

Glasses

Don't try to run across the freeway during morning rush hour.

Seaboe
Old 12 July 2018, 04:14 PM

Fright

Several years ago, two men crossed right in front of me on the Beltway. If the traffic had been going faster, they would not have made it. I still don't know where they came from--I did not see a vehicle parked nearby, nor does that part of the Beltway abut any neighborhoods.
Old 12 July 2018, 06:36 PM

Glasses

I suspect the victim was homeless. Seattle has a lot of homeless tent camps along the freeways. I feel incredibly sorry for the dump truck driver, who never had a chance to avoid this.

Seaboe
Old 13 July 2018, 01:37 PM

It's not racist to say that the attacker being sought by the police is black. It's racist because you added the words "of course" to your comment .
Old 13 July 2018, 04:46 PM

It's the middle of July. Of course you couldn't find any decent looking apples for sale: they're either leftovers from last year's crop or imported from New Zealand or Argentina.

Meanwhile, cherries are practically being given away in most grocery stores, as are apricots, peaches, and blueberries. Think seasonal when shopping for fruit.
Old 13 July 2018, 06:13 PM

Icon101

Any "summertime recipe" that starts out with preheat oven to.... is not a summertime recipe unless you live in the South Pole!
Old 14 July 2018, 12:27 AM

You work in a place where showers are not available. You chose to go running at lunch when it was 97 outside. At then end of the day, you know you will be sitting in a car next to at least one other person for close to an hour. This is not appropriate, and extremely inconsiderate, and it is not the first time. I'm happy that you are leaving in a couple of weeks for another job, and that I will be gone for most of that time.
Old 14 July 2018, 12:57 AM

Eww, that's disgusting!
Old 14 July 2018, 05:37 PM

erwins- I hope he/she kept their shoes on
Old 14 July 2018, 06:07 PM

Yeah, it isn't a foot odor problem.