snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 26 October 2018, 03:18 PM

…It certainly looks that way.

Also, what are the contents of that book? Do we have alternate French names?
Old 29 October 2018, 05:56 PM

So, new episode.

I feel this is the first big scare of the season, because holy shit those are spiders.

I did like how Chris Noth got everything but the stupid hair and hoarse voice of that guy his character hated. Hopefully he’ll return to deal with the fallout he seemed to escape...
Old 31 October 2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
So, new episode.

I feel this is the first big scare of the season, because holy shit those are spiders....
Oh come on now, we get spiders about that big in Queensland. Well almost that big. We certainly did when I lived in Springwood.

Quote:
I did like how Chris Noth got everything but the stupid hair and hoarse voice of that guy his character hated. Hopefully he’ll return to deal with the fallout he seemed to escape...
They were talking about that on Whovians and speculating whether he would be back. They were suggesting next time you see him he will be running for President or something like that. I hope we do see him again.
Old 31 October 2018, 04:23 PM

They weren’t Charlotte, Joy, Aranea or Nellie, so they were scary.

(Also, spiders are not known for being the parasites from Cloverfield)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
They were talking about that on Whovians and speculating whether he would be back. They were suggesting next time you see him he will be running for President or something like that. I hope we do see him again.
The dialogue that introduced him said that he was running for President.

I also saw a YouTube video that complained that Chibnall was being racist by casting white people as the villains. Apparently this wasn’t because having a black Trump-alike would just be bizarre and Montgomery had racist policies. Chibnall just hates white people. (On the other hand, Broadchurch was not known for having black cast members).
Old 02 November 2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:

The dialogue that introduced him said that he was running for President.
You are correct*. They were speculating he may appear again but only on a TV screen when he was running for president.

My memory is bad remember.
Old 06 November 2018, 02:34 AM

New episode and it’s now Tuesday here.

I liked the episode muchly, and am now hoping we see more of this Gifftan society, where guys birth guys and girls birth girls...and people are named Avocado Pear.
Old 08 November 2018, 01:40 AM

And the Doctor has lost the Tardis again.
Old 08 November 2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
And the Doctor has lost the Tardis again.
yes I noticed that, she seems very careless. .
Old 10 November 2018, 03:14 AM

Has anyone checked out that new book yet?

I’m reading it and it’s…weird. First off, the Doctor getting caught up in an affair regarding sentient plants is probably the strangest adventure yet for a show that constantly features creatures that move when you don’t look at them, genocidal pepperpots, a hero who has only just started being a woman, a villain who also became a woman before dying, a minor antagonist who was a man only once in her lives and a timeline that changes so much it puts Ćon Flux to shame.

Second, the companions are forced to recall that she’s not the first Doctor and they’re not the first companions. They helpfully exposit this to an audience who has probably not gone a year without knowing the show.
Old 11 November 2018, 03:05 AM

Finally finished the book (The Secret In Vault 13), and the rest of the strangeness is really stuff that was par for the course during the Moffatt era. Even the really cool bit where Yaz gets hooked up to the TARDIS.

I am however a little miffed by the way it seems to treat itself as a story arc from the show, thus jumping straight from the Doctor doing a thing on a far-off planet to some guy in London running into another relevant thing, without a bridge having Team TARDIS getting back.
Old 12 November 2018, 04:44 PM

New week, new episode. I think this might be the best one so far this series.

In fact, two things were going through my mind here:

1) They took a plot that Moffatt botched and made it really deliver,
and
2) Will that bowlestrek guy deliver the same confusing rant on “diversity casting” and “NPCs” that he’s done for almost all episodes this series? (Seriously, he claimed “Rosa” was racist because there were no sympathetic white Americans in the cast. That’s right: an hour-long show about Rosa Parks and the depiction of white people in 1955 Alabama is racist. Then again, he also bought into that “NPCs ruined Star Wars” nonsense).
Old 12 November 2018, 05:53 PM

Hockey puck, we were out of town and I forgot to record it.
Old 14 November 2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
h
Will that bowlestrek guy deliver the same confusing rant on “diversity casting” and “NPCs” that he’s done for almost all episodes this series? (Seriously, he claimed “Rosa” was racist because there were no sympathetic white Americans in the cast. That’s right: an hour-long show about Rosa Parks and the depiction of white people in 1955 Alabama is racist. Then again, he also bought into that “NPCs ruined Star Wars” nonsense).
Why do you watch this crap? Why waste your own precious time on the kind of pathetic garbage person who describes minorities as NPCs?

Anybody who thinks of other people as incapable of basic human thought shouldn't be given basic human acknowledgement.

Don't reinforce them by giving them the views they desperately want. They will fizzle out into obscurity where they belong if people stop clicking on their videos out of horrified fascination.

ETA: oh and, on a more positive note, Demons of the Punjab was a solid episode. I'd say it was the best in this series so far. It had some dodgy acting in places (I'm referring to the woman playing the younger Umbreen, who was extremely stilted for such a major role in the episode) but it looked great and there was a nice balance between the historic drama and the science fiction. Even the additions to this series' 'The More You Know' educational nuggets didn't feel randomly hammered in but were instead brought up naturally.

Last edited by Blatherskite; 14 November 2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 14 November 2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Why do you watch this crap? Why waste your own precious time on the kind of pathetic garbage person who describes minorities as NPCs?

Anybody who thinks of other people as incapable of basic human thought shouldn't be given basic human acknowledgement.

Don't reinforce them by giving them the views they desperately want. They will fizzle out into obscurity where they belong if people stop clicking on their videos out of horrified fascination.
I wouldn’t call it “horrified fascination”. More like “amused confusion”. His arguments are nonsense. That one bit where he actually said the “Orange Man Bad” phrase (his “Arachnids In The UK” review) had me in hysterics (it’s the equivalent of saying “bleh bleh bleh” to Dracula).

Also, the guy has 8K subscribers. That’s about one school district’s worth (I can’t really math it, but the one time I visited El Camino Real in 1999, the capacity was ~3600). I don’t think my views of his videos make much of a difference.
Old 14 November 2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Also, the guy has 8K subscribers. That’s about one school district’s worth (I can’t really math it, but the one time I visited El Camino Real in 1999, the capacity was ~3600). I don’t think my views of his videos make much of a difference.
How many of the others are watching in 'amused confusion', though? The more they keep clicking, the more attention these types of idiots get, the more genuine followers they pick up. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people who actually agree with this one is closer the 1K mark, considering how many people like to hate-watch crap on YouTube.

Amused confusion adds up.
Old 14 November 2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Also, the guy has 8K subscribers. [ . . .] I don’t think my views of his videos make much of a difference.
That's the same argument as 'I'm not going to vote because my one vote won't make a difference.'

I don't think it's a very good argument.
Old 15 November 2018, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Hockey puck, we were out of town and I forgot to record it.
Here in OZ they repeat it either the next day or a few days later. During the day.
Old 15 November 2018, 02:08 PM

I haven't been able to find it on BBC America as yet.
Old 15 November 2018, 02:49 PM

Found it! Late Saturday evening. Well, not so late in this time zone.