snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 17 May 2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Stupid question: If I take two standard tea bags and put one in 8 ounces of water and the other in 12 ounces of water, assuming all other variables are equal (water temperature, steeping time, etc.), will both cups contain the same total amount of caffeine with the larger one just being more diluted than the smaller one?
The difference won't be very great. If it's steeped to the taste you like, the small cup will have 36 mg, more or less, and the 12-ounce one will have 40 mg, more or less--not enough really to affect you. An eight-ounce cup of coffee usually has about 150 mg of caffeine. My cup is a sixteen-ounce version because I get up at five AM, and I need it.
Old 17 May 2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Presumably there was something above it, otherwise they could have just flown right at it instead of having to make the trench run.
The canon explanation for why they go down the trench is to avoid the turbolasers on the surface. The trench provides cover as they line up the shot.

Now, why in the world they are able to get to the trench without being destroyed is never really covered that I know of. The beginning of the attack, before anyone makes an actual trench run, is all about clearing out the guns in the area to go in. If they did that any way, you would think they could have done it at the exhaust port. But I've long since learned that the more you think about the movies, the more they fall apart, so I just watch and enjoy.
Old 17 May 2018, 09:08 PM

IMO, the real reason they made the trench run to hit the target is because that's how WWII aircraft would attack their targets. Fighter aircraft making strafing or rocket attacks on trains or other similar targets would have to fly a straight course so the bullets or rockets would have a chance of hitting their targets. Heavy bombers like the B-17 or B-29 were even more locked into a fixed path, they had to maintain the same altitude, direction, and airspeed so their bombardiers could use their bombsights with some degree of accuracy.
Old 17 May 2018, 09:13 PM

The reason the fighters in Star Wars dive into the trench to make their attack is because the director said so.
Old 18 May 2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
IMO, the real reason they made the trench run to hit the target is because that's how WWII aircraft would attack their targets. Fighter aircraft making strafing or rocket attacks on trains or other similar targets would have to fly a straight course so the bullets or rockets would have a chance of hitting their targets. Heavy bombers like the B-17 or B-29 were even more locked into a fixed path, they had to maintain the same altitude, direction, and airspeed so their bombardiers could use their bombsights with some degree of accuracy.
The trench run sequence was based on a number of World War II movies, in particular The Dam Busters* and to a lesser extent 633 Squadron. Both of these films featured as their climactic sequences extremely low level attacks requiring pinpoint accuracy. This link has a side-by-side comparison of Dam Busters and Star Wars shots.

* And the actual raid that inspired the film.
Old 18 May 2018, 05:42 AM

That was great, Meka! I didn't expect it to be that much a rip-off of (or should I say: hommage to) The Dambusters!
Old 18 May 2018, 01:24 PM

Fight

I haven't seen such a ripoff since Cripple Fight ripped off They Live.
Old 18 May 2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Now, why in the world they are able to get to the trench without being destroyed is never really covered that I know of.
There is one line in the movie when the plan of attack is being discussed that I paraphrase here that the Death Star defenses where not designed for small craft, otherwise there would have been a lot more point defense installations.

So basically in a cost cutting measure they did not feel the need to provide enough turbo laser towers to repel a fighter attack. Probably under the impression that such craft would not have heavy enough weapons to seriously damage their super weapon and thus where not a true threat. At least that is my interpretation of script choices to back fill a logical explanation.
Old 18 May 2018, 02:49 PM

"The Death Star's defenses are built around a direct, large-scale assault. A small, one-man fighter should be able to penetrate the outer defense."
--Gen. Jan Dodonna

Also...

"We count 30 Rebel ships, Lord Vader, but they're so small they're avoiding our turbolasers."
--Imperial gunnery officer (I'm sure the original EU had a name for him as well as a fully fleshed-out history detailed in a series of novels by different authors with conflicting information, but I can't be arsed to look it up right now...)
Old 21 May 2018, 02:31 AM

Mouse

All right, British Snopesters, maybe you can clear up a longstanding question Iíve had:

Is my theory about Prince Charles being the Ralph Wiggum of the royal family true?
Old 21 May 2018, 07:00 AM

That's his brother Andrew.

Quote:
What sort of ideas, his pitiless interviewer follows up. Long silence. “Trying to think now …” Aide whispers in ear. Duke perks up — and boasts that he was the fearless lateral thinker who relaxed the ban on mobile phones in the Palace and is even now planning to upgrade the wi-fi.
(Literally LOLing now that I'm hearing "I'm an ideas factory" in Ralph's voice.)