snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 01 July 2018, 11:49 AM

Ugh, a friend just re-posted an old FB update about this hilarious one liner her young daughter came up with and how she's so smart and funny. Her daughter stole it from the Shower Thoughts twitter feed (or one of several listicles that also took it from Shower Thoughts but at least credited them) but I don't have the heart to tell her.
Old 01 July 2018, 02:00 PM

Over the past 13 years a pair of vultures have been living in the base of my silo, raising the occasional baby. We don't mind since the vultures do a great job on all the road kill around here, we never use the silo, the vultures are sort of neat to watch, and the big ugly babies are sort of cute. The silo is in the old barn foundation, and this year the vultures have started hanging out in a storage building that ALSO connects to the old barn foundation. The past couple of times I have gone into the storage building, the vultures have been hanging out in there and tried to scare me away, and now several things in there are covered with vulture poop. I don't mind them using SOME of the space out there, but I do mind them expanding.
Old 02 July 2018, 04:09 PM

July 4 falls on a Wednesday this year. Wednesdays are my regular day off work, so I won't get an extra holiday or holiday pay. (I only get a paid holiday if it falls on a day that I'd normally work.)
Old 07 July 2018, 06:45 PM

My laptop just beeps four times when I turn it on. And all the screws on the bottom are these really small torx screws that I don’t have a screwdriver for. So I stuck with my phone as my only computing device until I can fix it.
Old 08 July 2018, 09:21 PM

I went out and bought the special screwdriver yesterday, reseated the RAM, removed and reinstalled the battery, and everything else I could think of that I could do at home with what I had and none of it worked, so I did something I never thought I would ever do. I took it to the Geek Squad. I thought maybe the RAM was bad, but I didn't want to spend money on new RAM until I knew for sure. I was hoping the Geek Squad guy would have some new RAM there that we could try to verify that was the problem. He did not. Basically he repeated the steps I'd already tried, looked at the Lenovo support forums, and said, "It's probably the RAM." In other words nothing I couldn't have done myself. He could have run some actual diagnostics but he would have had to charge me for that. He recommended just buying some new RAM, trying it, and returning it if it doesn't work. So I ordered some from Newegg. It'll get here in 5-7 days because I didn't want to pay for the faster shipping. Oh well, I have my phone and my work laptop until then.
Old 10 July 2018, 01:59 AM

Mouse

Iím doing vacation bible school and once again, I question the whole thing about kids and socialization. My experience is that it seems to make kids dumber. Individually, each kid might be a smart, likable child, but put a bunch of them together and they create a collective identity that is dumber than each individual member.

Then again, Iíve noticed the same thing happen with adults. Supposedly many hands make the load lighter, but in my experience, if you want a job done, itís better to have one or two people who know what theyíre doing, than a big group made up of people who have varying levels of knowledge about the job, with a few who know what theyíre doing, a few who donít have a clue, and some in the middle. Especially since the more people you have, the more coordination required. Time spent talking is time not spent working.
Old 10 July 2018, 02:02 AM

Being smart in a group of kids tends to get you labeled a brown-noser.
Old 10 July 2018, 02:06 AM

In my experience a group of adults or children just needs a little leadership to be far more productive collectively then they would be individually. The problem is often the wrong leadership or too many people who want to lead, but both of those are solvable problems.
Old 10 July 2018, 01:18 PM

Beachlife!: My experience is similar. It comes down to group dynamic.
Old 10 July 2018, 06:40 PM

Frying Pan

Got your group dynamic right here: Teamwork.
Old 11 July 2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Got your group dynamic right here: Teamwork.

Or
https://despair.com/collections/post...ant=2457303555
Old 11 July 2018, 03:11 PM

Baseball

Today, I was coming to work and had a hard timing I had to meet. I entered the parking lot as the second of three cars. The car in front of me was driving down the centre of the lane between parked cars (it is two lanes wide). There were some pedestrians walking down the lane. One waved to the car in front of me and the car stopped.

They had a conversation. A long conversation. At least 90 seconds. Blocking traffic.

I did not want to honk as they were privates, and I did not want to be "that officer". I could not move around and so I was stuck. Finally, the car behind me tooted his horn and these guys broke up their conversation.

But, I'm glad I was not that hard up for my timing. I would have nearly blown a gasket.
Old 11 July 2018, 03:20 PM

When I'm looking online for help with a problem, I'd rather get no info at all than articles that open with: "The best way to solve this problem is to not allow it to happen in the first place."

GAH. I don't need judgement and I don't have a time machine, so just tell me how to best remove a stain or fix the thing I broke, okay?
Old 11 July 2018, 03:57 PM

Icon02

Two things:
1. This past Sunday, I asked DH if the church he attended had any prayers for the Thai soccer team. No they did not.

2. One needs a key card to get into my office proper, so those who don't have a key card have to knock. [There may/may not be a receptionist in the lobby] Just recently, my supervisor had a door bell installed. It sounds like Big Ben. Whenever I hear the doorbell, I always say 'London calling!'
Old 11 July 2018, 04:49 PM

There's someone I haven't met before at the apartment next to mine. He sits out on the front step, smoking (our apartments all have external front doors), so the smoke drifts right over to my apartment.

I'm not sure if he's a new roommate, relative, relationship, or what, but having to keep the front of my apartment closed up to avoid being smoked up is annoying.
Old 11 July 2018, 05:16 PM

I would be really annoyed by that too. I'd like to think we're getting to a point culturally where exposing others to your cigarette smoke in places not specifically designated for it is no longer considered acceptable, especially now that vape pens are so easily accessible. But littering cigarette butts hasn't been socially acceptable for decades and people are still doing it, so.
Old 11 July 2018, 08:32 PM

What's especially annoying is that that's the window where I've got my AC set up (I use a floor unit), since that's the side of my apartment that A) has a convenient outlet and B) is where I tend to be on. The AC's not powerful enough to cool the whole room when it's 100 out and the apartment's electrical wiring can't handle two such devices being plugged in at the same time even if I had the money to buy a second one.

I don't like talking to people I don't know, especially about problems like this, but I'm not sure if I should bring it up with my landlord.
Old 11 July 2018, 09:44 PM

Unless there's a rule against smoking within x feet of the entrance or anywhere on the property, I don't know that your landlord would be much help. Even if there is, my experience with this sort of thing is that the best they're likely to do is contact the tenant, tell them to knock it off, and then never follow up again.
Old 11 July 2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Two things:
1. This past Sunday, I asked DH if the church he attended had any prayers for the Thai soccer team. No they did not.
I'm glad the soccer team -- and all their rescuers but one -- got out OK. But I'm confused as to why that upset you. Does that church try to have prayers for everyone in the world who's in trouble? Doesn't that make for rather a long service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I don't like talking to people I don't know, especially about problems like this, but I'm not sure if I should bring it up with my landlord.
I don't know your community area; but, if you can bring yourself to it, I'd be inclined to try talking to the smoker first. He may well not realize that his smoke is winding up in your apartment.
Old 11 July 2018, 11:53 PM

I really hate directly confronting people.