snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 12 October 2015, 06:02 AM

Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitaina View Post
While many of the Japanese are officially "Shinto" Buddhists, they practice other religious ceremonies for big events in their life, including Christian style weddings complete with priest (and/or combining the two or having both a Buddhist and later a Christian wedding [...]
What is Shinto Buddhism? Shinto is Shinto and Buddhism is Buddhism (even if they do often complement each other in personal and family life). Few people have Buddhist weddings. (Although we've been told there is such a thing, and we've been to lots of weddings, neither me nor my dw have ever been to one). Shinto and Christian weddings are common. Combining them isn't.

Most people here don't discuss religion except with close friends. I think most people do try to respect other people's religions and usually that means not talking about religion unless it's necessary. I don't think they consider 'foreign' ones second class. (Everyone knows Buddhism is 'foreign', too. It's basic knowledge even for non-Buddhists.) It's very rare that someone asks another person they don't know very well their religion and much much more rare to ask what someone 'believes'. Even among close friends, it would be a rare topic for conversation.
Old 05 November 2015, 07:46 PM

I'll cut out those I have no idea about. Actually I have hardly any idea about Japan bar one ex girlfriend who lived there for a couple of years, a good friend who hails from Osaka and a second cousin who now lives there. So to be taken with a grain of salt from what I gathered from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
* In just ten years Hiroshima returned to what it was economically vibrant before the fall of the atomic bomb.
I can't vouch for the time frame but yes, the fact that Hiroshima is a bustling city is amazing. It should be considered though, that nuclear bombs are designed to have a vast energy output in a very short time, which leads to the fallout being not nearly as persistent as after a disaster in a nuclear power plant. So after a (comparatively) short time, rebuilding Hiroshima is basically the same as rebuilding any other city of its size.

Quote:
* Japan prevents the use of mobile phones in trains, restaurants and indoors.
Nonsense, as has been pointed out.

Quote:
* For first to sixth primary year Japanese students must learn ethics in dealing with people.
Basically true, as far as I know (precise years notwithstanding, no idea about them). People writing such chain mails stop supporting such "soft classes" though probably as soon as they realize that the ethics taught are not their own.

Quote:
* Even though one of the richest people in the world, the Japanese do not have servants. The parents are responsible for the house and children.
Unless you have a very narrow definition of what a "servant" is, this is nonsense as well.

Quote:
* There is no examination from the first to the third primary level because the goal of education is to instill concepts and character building.
The "no examination" part is actually not as uncommon around the world.

Quote:
* If you go to a buffet restaurant in Japan you will notice people only eat as much as they need without any waste because food must not be wasted.
Generally, Japanese eat smaller portions but more of them. At the same time it is considered impolite to finish your plate even in a restaurant setting in many east Asian cultures (cannot vouch for the Japanese here).

Quote:
* The rate of delayed trains in Japan is about 7 seconds per year! The Japanese appreciate the value of time and are very punctual to minutes and seconds.
While punctuality is a virtue, having trains run on time is more a question of organization than not caring. Okay, the latter leads to problems with the former. Basically correct, although a google search seems to indicate an average time of around half a minute.

Quote:
* Children in schools brush their teeth (sterile) and clean their teeth after a meal at school, teaching them to maintain their health from an early age.
Sterility is of course nonsense as well, but yes, many countries who serve meals at school have their children clean their teeth afterwards, as do the Japanese.

Quote:
* Japanese students take half an hour to finish their meals to ensure proper digestion because these students are the future of Japan.
No idea about Japanese eating slower but certainly possible. It would be a cultural thing more than "students are our future"

Quote:
* No political leader or a prime minister from an Islamic nation has visited Japan, not the Ayatollah of Iran, the King of Saudi Arabia or even a Saudi Prince!
Wikipedia claims that the Iranian prime minister (granted, not the Ayatollah) visited Japan in 2000. A Saudi Prince was in Japan on official visit as recently as 2014.

Quote:
1) Japan is the only nation that does not give citizenship to Muslims.
Japan does not ask for religion, so they wouldn't know. It is assumed that around 5000-10000 Japanese citizens are of muslim faith...

Quote:
2) In Japan permanent residency is not given to Muslims.
... and more than 50000 permanent residents without citizenship.

Quote:
4) In the University of Japan, Arabic or any Islamic language is not taught.
So what are people doing at the Arabic Islamic institute at Tokyo University all day?

Quote:
6) According to data published by the Japanese government, it has given temporary residency to only 2 lakhs, Muslims, who must follow the Japanese Law of the Land. These Muslims should speak Japanese and carry their religious rituals in their homes.
As has been said, the Japanese government does not ask for religion, but it would be more.

Quote:
7) Japan is the only country in the world that has a negligible number of embassies in Islamic countries.
Apart from the fact that many small countries do not have many embassies at all but instead take a piggyback ride with larger neighbors when they actually have a need for diplomatic relations (Bhutan with India, pacific islands with US, AUS or NZ), Japan has embassies in almost every country in the world, including every single Aramic country (it would be stupid not to as an export driven nation).

Quote:
12) Muslims cannot even rent a house in Japan.
Is it just me or is this list repeating itself with small changes of phrasing?

Quote:
15) There is no Sharia law in Japan .
Nor in Australia, Germany, the US, ... Unless you are of the kind that calls "we are having Sharia law installed" if a shop offers halal food. (Which is readily available in Japan, due not as ubiquitous as in countries with a higher muslim population).

Quote:
The Japanese might have lost the war, but they are in charge of their own country. There are no bombs going off in crowded business centers, "Honor Killings", nor killing of innocent children or anyone else.
There were a couple of terrorist attacks over the years in Japan, though mostly not bombs but poison, like the Sarin attack mentioned. None seem to have a islamist terrorist background.

Honor killings are nothing only muslims do, but it is not a part of Japanese culture and does not seem to happen in any important amount.

I think most of the article stems from a quick summarization of the following article:

http://chersonandmolschky.com/2015/0...rrorism-japan/
Old 06 November 2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulkomaalainen View Post
At the same time it is considered impolite to finish your plate even in a restaurant setting in many east Asian cultures (cannot vouch for the Japanese here).
It's considered polite to eat all the food ordered - down to the last rice grain, if possible (but within reason, of course - no one is expected to eat something they really don't like or to become ill from eating too much). I think the portions for the average meal are rather smaller than other countries in general even if, as you say, there seem to be more of them (which would depend very much on what you're eating and where).
Old 06 November 2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
It's considered polite to eat all the food ordered - down to the last rice grain, if possible
I wonder if this is a difference between restaurants vs dining in a personal home, but I was taught appropriate manners in Asia were not to eat everything so as not to imply the host cannot serve enough.

Now I wonder if these are 'old world' manners, hailing from a time when there probably wasn't a lot to go around (not focused on Japan, almost every country had this at one point in time or still does) and just stuck with certain groups.
Old 06 November 2015, 07:14 PM

I'm sure it comes from a mix up in countries. Asia is a very big place!
Old 06 November 2015, 07:38 PM

Hello Kitty

I've only heard the "don't clean your plate" rule as applying to China... Which is also a huge country itself and may have a variety of different etiquette rules about the subject.