snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 26 March 2007, 12:39 AM

Soapbox Bush on Iraq

Comment: I just have to get this off my chest. The Newsweek Perspectives column prints quotable quotes. Here's one that, even if it's a joke, is so tasteless it can come from only one source.....

"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment." -- President George W. Bush, when asked if he believed Iraq was in a state of civil war.

Makes me proud to be an American
Old 26 March 2007, 12:47 AM

On February 15th of this year, Dana Milbank of the Washington Post reported the quote:

Quote:
When ABC News's Martha Raddatz asked whether he shares the intelligence community's view that Iraq is in a civil war, the Great Believer grew suddenly agnostic. "We've got people on the ground who don't believe it's a civil war," he dodged.

"Do you believe it's a civil war, sir?" Raddatz pressed.

"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment," he punted.
ETA: In my opinion, it reads more as GW's attempt at self-deprecating humility rather than naive, despotic ambivalence.
Old 26 March 2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mNotDedalus View Post
On February 15th of this year, Dana Milbank of the Washington Post reported the quote:

Quote:
When ABC News's Martha Raddatz asked whether he shares the intelligence community's view that Iraq is in a civil war, the Great Believer grew suddenly agnostic. "We've got people on the ground who don't believe it's a civil war," he dodged.

"Do you believe it's a civil war, sir?" Raddatz pressed.

"It's hard for me, you know, living in this beautiful White House, to give you a firsthand assessment," he punted.

ETA: In my opinion, it reads more as GW's attempt at self-deprecating humility rather than naive, despotic ambivalence.
To me it sounds a bit like his mother and her "beautiful mind".