snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 07 March 2019, 03:40 PM

Icon23 The People Who Eat the Same Meal Every Day

“Variety doesn’t really matter to me. I would be perfectly happy to eat the same Caesar salad or peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich every day.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...ch-meal/584347
Old 07 March 2019, 04:48 PM

I did this for a while at my old job. I had plenty of fridge space and a Trader Joe's across the street, so I'd keep a loaf of bread, a tub of greens, hummus, and marinated tofu or Tofurkey cold cuts and make the same sandwich every day. It was nice because I didn't end up with unused ingredients due to things being sold in unmatched quantities, something I've never gotten the hang of managing; I just bought more of each thing as I ran low. Also a freshly-assembled sandwich is so much better than one brought from home.

Now I use a meal delivery service that drops off two salads twice a week. I work a lot and love having one less thing to think about. They just appear outside my door in the morning and my credit card gets billed; I open the box and pour on the dressing. The salads are varied and tasty, but somehow I'm getting tired of eating a salad for lunch four days a week (we usually go out on Fridays), even though I never got sick of my same five-day-a-week sandwich.
Old 07 March 2019, 06:57 PM

One of my grandfathers, as far as I know, ate the same thing for breakfast every morning for as long as I knew him (and possibly before); which was about the last 20-plus years of his life.

After it was too late to ask him, it occured to me to wonder whether, during a period of some years considerably earlier in his life during which getting anything to eat at all was seriously in doubt, he'd kept thinking of that particular breakfast as an ideal which he couldn't get; and maybe when he became able to get it he wanted to keep getting it. But I might be wrong; maybe he just really liked that particular combination, or maybe he didn't care what he ate for breakfast and it was just simpler to have the same thing.
Old 07 March 2019, 08:38 PM

My wife has a similar habit. If we go to a new restaurant and she has something she likes, she will order exactly the same thing every time we go back, never trying something she might like even better. If we go to a new restaurant and she has something she doesn't like, she says it's a bad restaurant and won't go back. (This is only a slight exaggeration.)
Old 08 March 2019, 12:22 AM

I did that for a while as a kid because I had a horrible time deciding on what to order whenever we went out.
Old 08 March 2019, 12:54 AM

I'm guilty of this as well, but it mostly has to do with budgeting and managing expectations. I know what it'll cost me to make a given meal and portion it out for several days, so as long as it's something I know I enjoy, I can happily eat the same thing for lunch (or dinner) day in and day out. I generally try to expand my menu in small steps: maybe a new sauce or dressing on a familiar dish, a different sort of bread or vegetable on an otherwise enjoyable sandwich, etc. Few things bum me out more than purchasing a whole package of a new product only to find I don't care for the taste or texture at all, and then it sits unused in my fridge until it goes bad; I've been through some lean times and wasting food bothers me greatly.
Old 08 March 2019, 02:48 AM

Baseball

I am guilty of this. Very guilty. To the point of people commenting on it.

Same breakfast for ever. Same lunch at work, forever.

I spent 7 months eating the same sandwich daily for lunch, until I moved.

I just got in a comfortable routine. Nothing more fancy than that.

In fact, this year for Lent, I've committed to changing up my eating routine.
Old 08 March 2019, 09:23 AM

Whalephant

We used to have people who would eat at Taco Bell every week day and always order the same thing for months and months (perhaps semester after semester would be more accurate). State Street, which is what it was on, is filled with restaurants so I never did get that.

However I admit if I go to a restaurant and find a dish I love, I usually don't stray from it. Here I am thinking specifically of aloo gobi.
Old 08 March 2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I spent 7 months eating the same sandwich daily for lunch, until I moved.
That must have been a huge sandwich.

I don't have much sense of taste, so I used to eat pretty much the same thing every day at work, as it was pretty nutritious, kept for a few days, didn't need to be refrigerated, and was fairly cheap.
Old 08 March 2019, 11:55 AM

There are a couple of restaurants that I eat at with some degree of regularity, one where I order the same dinner entree every time because it is delicious and exactly fills me up, and the other where I oscillate between two breakfast entrees because they are just too good to ignore. Maybe one day I might try something else, but for now, I do not feel the need. But there are plenty of other restaurants where I eat a variety of stuff - and a variety of restaurants where I may only eat the one thing, but I'm not eating there often.

As a working teenager, I spent almost 2 years eating 2 tuna fish sandwiches for lunch every day. It was monotonous, so I began experimenting with different additives. Learned a lot about condiments, spices, leftover rice, and tuna in general. I once made tuna that my parents swore was salmon. It was just tuna with some ketchup added (well, my "special" spiced-up tuna with ketchup added). They still don't believe me, 35+ years later
Old 08 March 2019, 02:01 PM

Glasses

I read somewhere (too busy to find the reference right now), that eating the same thing for each meal makes it easier to control portion size and thus food intake.

Seaboe
Old 08 March 2019, 02:19 PM

Just to be clear, I don't find anything strange with ordering your favorite thing at a restaurant every time. I just find it fascinating that my wife will order something great the first time she's at a restaurant, decide it's her favorite, and never bother to try anything else. If I like the first thing I had there, I want to see what other great dishes the place makes.
Old 08 March 2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Just to be clear, I don't find anything strange with ordering your favorite thing at a restaurant every time. I just find it fascinating that my wife will order something great the first time she's at a restaurant, decide it's her favorite, and never bother to try anything else. If I like the first thing I had there, I want to see what other great dishes the place makes.
I guess it all depends if you go to a particular restaurants for a specific food. For instance, I go to a vietnamese place and I always order the beef Pho. (#13 at this specific restaurant) I'd never go there for anything else.

OY
Old 08 March 2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
As a working teenager, I spent almost 2 years eating 2 tuna fish sandwiches for lunch every day. It was monotonous, so I began experimenting with different additives. Learned a lot about condiments, spices, leftover rice, and tuna in general. I once made tuna that my parents swore was salmon. It was just tuna with some ketchup added (well, my "special" spiced-up tuna with ketchup added). They still don't believe me, 35+ years later
I've used tuna to make a passable mock crab cake - good enough that my Maryland born-and-raised wife approved.
Old 08 March 2019, 07:34 PM

I will eat the same thing for breakfast every day if I can get it, but it's just a bowl of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.

If I had to, I suppose I could do this for every meal, but I like variety too much. My wife and I have a bit of a back and forth about food and eating the same thing. Left to her own devices, she'd eat cereal for every meal because she doesn't cook. With me cooking, she always wants one of our favorites, while I am more of a perfect a dish, then try something new. So we alternate who is in charge of food every weekend, and it gives us a good balance of the familiar and new.
Old 08 March 2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
I've used tuna to make a passable mock crab cake - good enough that my Maryland born-and-raised wife approved.
See you at the next Iron Chef, where we get to use tuna, beet juice and avocados to make filet mignon.
Old 08 March 2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
See you at the next Iron Chef, where we get to use tuna, beet juice and avocados to make filet mignon.
All right, there are limits...

Although, as an aside, I've heard from some amazing things from friends about the "Beyond Meat" burgers, which apparently use beets (among other things) to make a patty that "bleeds" and, according to them, is remarkably meat-like. These aren't vegetarians telling me this, either - I've yet to try them myself, but I'm intrigued.

And, just so as not to totally hijack the thread, one friend wrote on Facebook, "They're so good, in fact, that if they're on the menu, I'll order them every time." So there we are, nicely back on topic.
Old 08 March 2019, 09:14 PM

I've had a Beyond meat burger, and an Impossible burger. IMO, they are about as tasty as a McDonald's burger (FTR, I like McDonald's burgers). They are not even in the ball park of a burger made from freshly ground meat (preferably two parts chuck to one part pork belly). A local joint is selling the Impossible, and Carl's Jr is selling the Beyond. I found the Impossible burger to be a bit better.
Old 08 March 2019, 10:11 PM

Last summer, Costco was selling a brand of vegetarian patty that I thought was indistinguishable in flavor and texture from the brand of Angus burger they sell (and which I really like).