snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 19 April 2017, 10:07 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Or someone poisoned it.
One of the reasons I NEVER let my cat out.
Old 20 April 2017, 02:10 PM

Glasses

Be sure to let us know whether the cat survives, GM. Thanks.

Seaboe
Old 21 April 2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Be sure to let us know whether the cat survives, GM. Thanks.
Will do. I haven't heard anything yet, I don't usually have a lot of contact with that neighbour.

She lives in a unit at the back of someone else's house and the entry she uses is a fair way down an unlit alley and the only time I seem to bump into her is when I'm walking my cat late at night. I figure that most people probably don't want to hang out and chat with a strange bearded man in a pitch black alley at midnight so I usually don't hang around too long.
Old 21 April 2017, 01:40 PM

... but in this case I bumped into her in the street a few hours after I posted about how I hardly ever see her.

Her cat didn't make it. The vets said that his organs were crushed and he'd probably been run over.
Old 21 April 2017, 02:14 PM

Thanks for letting us know. And I'm sorry the cat didn't make it.

At least you know that you did what you could. And I doubt that, to that neighbor, you're that "strange bearded man" any longer; you must now be the good neighbor who helped her get to the vet. where at least they could get the cat out of pain.
Old 21 April 2017, 02:14 PM

Glasses

Poop. Even mean cats deserve a better end than that.

Has anyone on the list who reads this thread used EL wire? I have a project where the distance between the lighted part and the inverter/ battery pack is going to be 2-3 feet, not hidden by fabric, and I need to know the best way to deal with that. I don't really want the light trailing down my neck into my cleavage (as the wiring is probably going to do).

Seaboe
Old 21 April 2017, 02:34 PM

Is the lighted item a necklace of sorts? If not, how is it to be supported physically?
Old 21 April 2017, 06:46 PM

Glasses

I'm inserting 2 horns through a wig and lighting the horns.

Seaboe
Old 21 April 2017, 07:52 PM

Seaboe-
They do make extension cords for EL wire. You might even be able to find a color that is close to your skin color.
https://www.amazon.com/EZ-EL-WIRE-EZ.../dp/B00AWIMW8I
https://www.adafruit.com/product/616
Old 21 April 2017, 11:07 PM

About one year ago, my son and his family were living in an apartment building that developed a huge mold issue due to impoperly installed windows. It had gotten to the point where they could not even use the bedroom anymore. Building management was being completely unresponsive on the issue, and my son's health was really taking a hit. Asthma, (A problem for me since I was an infant.) and other health issues were really starting to build up for him.

While working a stage rally in northern Minnesota last spring, DW and I discussed what to do. We decided to ask them if they'd be interested in moving into the lower level of our house (A fairly large split level) to get them away from the problem. The reason we were willing to do this is because now the Sweet Pea (grandaughter) was beginning to show signs of reacting as well and we were becoming increasingly concerned for them. So, we called them while we were driving to our first assignment. We told them of our offer, and told them to please seriously consider it, as we were truly worried about their health. We asked them to call us back with their decision after they'd thought about it.

They called back three minutes later, and started sleeping at the house that night. DS told us later that was the best night's sleep he'd managed in several months. Even though they insisted there was no problem, management agreed to release them from the remainder of their lease, which had about 6 months left. How generous.

I will freely admit there was some uncertainty on my part as to how all this was going to work out. I was afraid we might not be able to live under one roof for a year. That was the time frame my son and DIL decided on. They didn't want to move into another apartment, and needed to work on saving money to buy their own home.

I needn't have worried. They've been a delight to have in the house. In addition to saving up their money for a down payment, they've also helped with food and utilities. Something we'd never asked them to do. Plus, DS is a great cook, and has whipped up some pretty amazing meals. They've helped with house cleaning, yard work, etc. In addition to all of that it's been truly wonderful to have the GD living with us for the past year. She's an amazing kid (I may be a bit biased. Just a bit.) and I've really enjoyed spending this much time with her.

True to their word, they close on their new house at the end of May and will start moving in June 1st. DS just called me here at work and reported that the inspection went smoothly. Their new house is in good shape, no major issues.

I'm already mourning their departure. I'd been anticipating that might be my reaction, but that call a bit ago brought it home to me. Oh well, I know they're really excited about moving in, and I am very happy for them. The golden lining for me here is they're moving to a house that's only 5 minutes, if that, away. They like the school district (The same one he was in.) and wanted to stay with it.

I'm still really gonna miss them though.
Old 22 April 2017, 12:24 AM

Baseball

Well, you did what any parent would do. You helped out your family.

And you had a good experience build out of it. Your relationship seems stronger.

Bravo to you, my friend. Don't mourn them leaving. Celebrate their visit.
Old 22 April 2017, 12:33 AM

Dr R, I'm glad that worked out for you so well. I'm sorry for your separation pains.
Old 22 April 2017, 03:00 PM

PSA: don't be afraid of the dentist. I waited way too long to get a tooth fixed and knowing I could have avoided 1+ year of dull ache with a twenty-minute drill'em-and-fill'em makes me feel really, really dumb.
Old 22 April 2017, 09:09 PM

What is the anti-vaxx argument against the evidence of generations of people who have been vaccinated with no side effects? Like, I don't disbelieve that there are risks and that horrible things can take place some of the time, but the vast, overwhelming majority of people in our society- including many anti-vaxxers themselves- have been vaccinated and are, you know, living healthy lives.
Old 22 April 2017, 10:21 PM

Someone posted a request on Facebook saying "A friend needs a haunted house by Sunday next week for a film shoot in Melbourne. Any suggestions?" and everyone assumed they wanted to film ghosts so they made dozens of suggestions of well known places in Victoria which are supposedly haunted. When the film crew clarified that they were filming a spooky scene on a budget and wanted a regular creepy/rundown house where they could shoot a few scenes real quick with minimal fuss people kept suggesting haunted places such as old convents and homesteads and prisons which would probably require a lot of time and meetings and paperwork before they could access them. They never got a single suggestion that actually met their criteria.

And that's why you need to think carefully about how you phrase your request before posting it.
Old 23 April 2017, 10:54 AM

I seem to have mislaid a fairly large spider. I just went and got a broom so I could relocate a big ol' garden orb weaver I'd noticed earlier in the day which was putting up a web outside our front door where we'd definitely walk into it but it was gone.

I had warned my housemate about it but I think he may have walked through the web and accidentally kidnapped my spider when he went out earlier.
Old 23 April 2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
What is the anti-vaxx argument against the evidence of generations of people who have been vaccinated with no side effects? Like, I don't disbelieve that there are risks and that horrible things can take place some of the time, but the vast, overwhelming majority of people in our society- including many anti-vaxxers themselves- have been vaccinated and are, you know, living healthy lives.
They never mention those of us with an ASC who weren't vaccinated either!
Old 23 April 2017, 10:04 PM

Chicken

I've had a pair of turtle doves visiting my backyard for years (probably not the same pair every year!) and I started putting out some bird seed for them a few weeks ago. Word must have gotten around because more and more pairs of doves would turn up every now and then and just now when I went to put out some seed there were 18 doves sitting in the trees waiting for me and watching bery carefully as I filled the seed dishes. It was like a scene out of Hitchcock's The Birds.
Old 24 April 2017, 02:30 PM

Glasses

Thanks, Jimmy. I bought a kit, but suspect I'll want to switch out the extension lines.

I successfully put the grommets into my corset and laced it onto my old, padded dress dummy. Next step are the panniers. Then the petticoat, then the actual dress. I have 15 weeks to get this done, get the music down and rehearse the presentation. I'm already worried.

Seaboe
Old 25 April 2017, 03:39 AM

Someone posted a wonderful gif of the clouds furiously swirling around Mt Fuji, as seen from the window of a plane. A bunch of us lousy skeptics had to point out that the clouds closest to the wings were frozen and the clouds which were moving were appearing and reappearing in exactly the same positions over and over, so it was most likely a still photo which was animated via an app and not a genuine video. But if you didn't look too closely it looks pretty darn convincing.

There's going to be a whoooooooooooole lot more faked footage on the internet thanks to apps getting smarter and better all the time.