snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 22 May 2013, 12:51 AM

Cheer Gay Teen Charged for Underage Girlfriend

An 18-year-old Florida cheerleader is facing felony charges that she had sexual contact with her underage, 14-year-old girlfriend, leading gay rights advocates to say the teen is being unfairly targeted for a common high school romance because she's gay.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/g...riend-19227364
Old 22 May 2013, 02:11 AM

It's common for 18 year olds to have sexual relations with 14 year olds and people to consider it acceptable if it's a hetero couple?

That's news to me.
Old 22 May 2013, 02:19 AM

Canada

It depends on the jurisdiction. Here although the age of consent is officially 16 there is a "close in age exemption" where a minor aged 14-15 can have a partner who is less than 5 years older than they are. So in this case there wouldn't be an issue. At least legally. I agree with you though that it's not common and it's certainly debateable as to how acceptable it would be.
Old 22 May 2013, 02:42 AM

If it was an 18 year old male and a 14 year old female in my area, the only reason it would be unlikely to prosecuted is because of the high likelihood of the 14 year old's father seeking justice at muzzle velocity instead.
Old 22 May 2013, 02:45 AM

It appears that 14 years olds in in Florida are not allowed to have sex with anyone regardless of the other persons age.

Quote:
The age of consent in Florida is 18, but close in age exemptions exist. By law, the exception permits a person 23 years of age or younger to engage in legal sexual activity with a minor aged 16 or 17.

794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.-- (1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose Florida code, Title XLVI, Chapter 794
So does Florida commonly make exceptions when 14 and 18 years of the opposite sex engage in sexual activities. I can see it happening if the parents agree to it and the police do not get word of it, but that seams very unlikely.
Old 22 May 2013, 03:55 AM

Hmmm. Well, I don't know about enforcement in that area. But my immediate reaction to an 18-year-old and a 14-year-old having sex is definitely negative, regardless of the genders. If they are being singled out while hetero couplings are ignored, that's certainly discriminatory. But just as a matter of general principle, I don't think that two people of those ages ought to be sexually active with one another.
Old 22 May 2013, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
But my immediate reaction to an 18-year-old and a 14-year-old having sex is definitely negative, regardless of the genders. If they are being singled out while hetero couplings are ignored, that's certainly discriminatory. But just as a matter of general principle, I don't think that two people of those ages ought to be sexually active with one another.
In Atlanta 16 year olds hooking up with 18 year olds is common, but 18 year olds hooking up with 14 year olds is seen as child molestation regardless of the genders.
Old 22 May 2013, 06:22 AM

1) I think that there should be a difference in standards for sexual intercourse than for sexual contact.

AFAI can tell from the OP, any contact between them seems to have been closer to physical flirting than to getting off.

2) Also age should be just a guideline: The important question is are they peers, are they on the same level. Having the same circle of friends is one cited example there. I'd be curious to know if they are both new to the team that year, or if the 18 year old has played for them a few years running, the former would make them more of peers through that way.
For those reason a random 16yo and 20yo hooking up would be more suspicious to me (Two secondary students, vs a secondary and a College Student)

3) Prosecuting in this case seems more likely to harm the the supposed 'victim' than anything the older party has done.
Old 22 May 2013, 06:30 AM

A few points I have heard via ILGA and GLAAD, the 14 year old is in advanced placement classes, so they were in classes together, which in a way makes it much easier to blur the lines, the 14 yr. old is almost 15, and the 18 yr. old just turned 18, and the sexual contact occurred before her birthday. The family of the 14 yr. old knew all along and were upset because they felt the older girl was confusing their child, and making her believe that she was gay, something based on quotes from the mother(such as "There is no way our daughter is gay") seems at least possible. They waited until the older girl turned 18, and on her birthday went to the police.

*Partially spanked by DGWBG, somehow fitting in this topic.
Old 22 May 2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
.. the 18 yr. old just turned 18, and the sexual contact occurred before her birthday.
In which case, there would be no offense committed.
Old 22 May 2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
It depends on the jurisdiction. Here although the age of consent is officially 16 there is a "close in age exemption" where a minor aged 14-15 can have a partner who is less than 5 years older than they are. So in this case there wouldn't be an issue. At least legally. I agree with you though that it's not common and it's certainly debateable as to how acceptable it would be.
That's how it works here as well, although the age of consent is 15. It's still not allowed for a 15 year old to have sex with a 14 year old, but there is no legal consequences. Social services might get involved, though.
Old 22 May 2013, 12:33 PM

Articles I read about this the other day said the girlfriend was 15 and the relationship began when Hunt was 17. Huffington Post article
Old 22 May 2013, 01:45 PM

Oddly, the article in the original post here is the only one I've seen so far that states the ages as 14 and 18 at the time they started having a sexual relationship. Everything else I've read agrees with Gibbie's HuffPo link which states they were 15 and 17, and that the parents of the younger girl specifically waiting until the older one's 18th birthday to go to the police. In my mind, anyway, though minor (no pun intended) differences make all the difference in the world.
Old 23 May 2013, 05:39 AM

They were 14 and 17. It is illegal, but the parents of the 14 yr. old thought(wrongly) that they had to wait until the older girl turned 18 to press charges. I find it highly unlikely that they had sexual contact after the older girl turned 18, as the parents went to the police on her birthday, but anything is possible. The could have find charges immediately had they correctly understood the law regarding statutory rape.

Either way, it is ridiculous...
Old 23 May 2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGuyWitBluGlasses View Post
1) I think that there should be a difference in standards for sexual intercourse than for sexual contact.
This is something of a hijack, and you can probably get different answers depending on who you ask...but how, exactly, do you define "intercourse" when it comes to a lesbian couple?

With a hetero couple, I always assumed "intercourse" meant, at its most basic, that the penis goes into the vagina; though I have heard it defined as intercourse for anal penetration, too (which would allow the inclusion of gay male couples). Oral sex, I don't think most people consider intercourse; perhaps I am wrong there? With both participants being female there's no penetration (unless toys are used, and I'm not sure they count), so....not sure where the line between "sexual contact" and "intercourse" would be, exactly.
Old 23 May 2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
This is something of a hijack, and you can probably get different answers depending on who you ask...but how, exactly, do you define "intercourse" when it comes to a lesbian couple?
I think that's why same-sex marriage in the UK will explicitly exclude non-consummation as grounds for annulment.
Old 26 May 2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I never know exactly how to answer this. I know where my line lies, but it is an emotional line more than a physical one. Oral sex is sex to me, and
in my mind that includes oral sex between heterosexual partners as well.
I know most people do not feel that way though. I also would classify some encounters that most would see as petting, such dry humping(that is a horrible phrase by the way) in which one or both participants achieve one or multiple orgasms as intercourse.

ETA-I guess my personal line is probably just that, one or both participants achieve orgasm...
Old 27 May 2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
In which case, there would be no offense committed.
A common misconception. It can vary from place to place, but there tend to various laws/guidelines that can allow for minors to be convicted for consensual sex with another minor. The primary ones are age difference beyond a certain range and below a certain age even if they fall within that range (but aren't the same age).

I did go to highschool with a girl that thought it was illegal for any minors to have sex with each other, even if the same age though.
Old 27 May 2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
This is something of a hijack, and you can probably get different answers depending on who you ask...but how, exactly, do you define "intercourse" when it comes to a lesbian couple? {snip}

With both participants being female there's no penetration (unless toys are used, and I'm not sure they count), so....
Fingers definitely count. . . as do tongues.

- P
Old 27 May 2013, 02:14 PM

Here's the arrest affidavit.

I think a felony charge and inclusion on the sex offender registry is extreme for this, but I also think that there should be some penalty because it's not like Kaitlyn didn't know it was a problem. I've seen articles in which the parents of the other girl said they went to Kaitlyn before going to the police and asked her to stop the relationship. I think fourteen is young to be in a sexual relationship, and it is illegal in many states. If the relationship truly began in November and Kaitlyn was arrested in February, the relationship would not meet the "Romeo and Juliet" defense in Indiana because the relationship began after Kaitlyn had turned 18 and had not been going on for at least 6 months (two of the stipulations to that defense in this state). I have seen young men prosecuted for this, and CPS is not given the same out, so even if the relationship meets "Romeo and Juliet" stipulations, CPS would substantiate sexual abuse if it were here in Indiana.

Perhaps the parents did object because it was a lesbian relationship, but they deny it and there were other reasons a parent would think this relationship was a bad idea. The girls were engaging in sexual activity in the school restroom, and when the 14 year old ran away from home, Kaitlyn seems to have encouraged it. Having had a child run away once because he didn't want to follow the rules at home, I can testify to how distressing this is for a parent. Kaitlyn seems to have been encouraging behavior that could cause a lot of problems for the 14 year old, and I can't see any parent condoning that.