snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 08 July 2016, 09:31 PM

Sure, but by the same token not all who are accused are guilty. And he still hasn't been convicted of anything (or has he?) - not rushing to judgement isn't a bad thing. Refusing to change one's mind when circumstances change is the bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
There are some cases where I think I should withhold judgment, because I know how things can be distorted. But in the case of a man with as many attested victims as Cosby, I am pretty confident in his guilt.

I am pretty confident in the guilt of Michael Jackson, too, and he had far fewer victims come forward. In that case I read the entirety of the court transcripts and concluded that yes, he should have been acquitted of those specific charges because they were not proven beyond a reasonable doubt, but what was proven beyond a reasonable doubt for me in that trial was that MJ was a serial child predator.
I agree with you here with regards to both Cosby and Jackson - but I will add that I think in both cases there have been accusations made of the "jump on the band wagon" variety which have served to make it easier for those who don't want to see guilt to keep denying there was wrongdoing (to say the least).
Old 08 July 2016, 09:49 PM

The number of false rape accusations is wildly exaggerated. Remember, one of the accusers stated that she went to police at the time that Cosby raped her and they flat out refused to investigate it at all.

And regarding guilt and public perception, well, OJ Simpson was tried and found not guilty, but he's still widely (overwhelmingly?) considered guilty in public opinion.
Old 08 July 2016, 09:57 PM

Well, OJ is in prison (albeit for a different crime).

~Psihala
Old 09 July 2016, 03:08 AM

Indeed. There are plenty of reasons to wait for more information. I didn't instantly say, with Cosby or Jackson, "He must have done it!" But the evidence mounted and it just strains credulity to the breaking point to see it any other way.

I also believe OJ Simpson is guilty of double murder.

But I am skeptical of a lot of claims when I first hear them. I don't know what to believe about Kesha, for example, but I tend to want to believe her. My level of confidence there is lower. But I still tilt in her direction.
Old 09 July 2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
The number of false rape accusations is wildly exaggerated. Remember, one of the accusers stated that she went to police at the time that Cosby raped her and they flat out refused to investigate it at all.
Do you think this was specifically because it was rape, or because he was rich and famous?
Old 09 July 2016, 08:03 AM

IIRC, she was flat-out told by the police that she must be delusional because Bill Cosby wouldn't rape someone. Which would make it both.

And just so you know, Coughdrops, the only reason I saw your question is because I just today took you off my ignore list. So if you ask a question and I don't answer it means that you've gone back on it. FYI.
Old 09 July 2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post

And just so you know, Coughdrops, the only reason I saw your question is because I just today took you off my ignore list. So if you ask a question and I don't answer it means that you've gone back on it. FYI.
Whether you have me on ignore or not is your choice. But I'm not sorry for my opinions and would much rather shout them into the void than change them just to be popular.
Old 09 July 2016, 12:47 PM

Coughdrops, even if you had "popular" opinions, expressing them in the way you often do would irritate people. In case you haven't noticed, we don't all agree on everything here. But we do generally agree on how to evaluate opinions and ideas and how to approach disagreement, and that seems to be where the conflicts with you arise.

That said, I don't know why you felt the need to say that, crockoduck.
Old 09 July 2016, 04:13 PM

Bang Head

Because it was late at night and stupid ideas start to sound like things I should do once I start getting sleep deprived.
Old 09 July 2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
I'm genuinely curious. Isn't this sort of making the lawyers' point? He's yet to face a trial court on any of the charges he's being accused of, but the court of public opinion has already rendered a verdict on him.
IMS, the transcript doesn't specify if the women consented to the drugs or the sex, but he definitely provided controlled drugs to women to have sex with them. I would bet that alone is enough to make schools stop any use of his TV show.
Old 09 September 2016, 03:19 PM

Bill Cosby has long preached the gospel of personal responsibility to fellow blacks, irritating those who fault racism for holding the community back.
But now lawyers for the 79-year-old comedian have suggested for the first time that racial bias is to blame as Cosby faces the prospect of 13 women testifying in court that he drugged and molested them. Twelve of them are white.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/na...392852401.html
Old 15 September 2016, 10:47 PM

I would not be surprised to learn that rape accusations are taken (even) less seriously when they come from women of color - or that black men are more likely to be convicted and face harsher sentences for rape (and other crimes, for that matter) when the victims (or alleged victims) are white.

But that doesn't mean accusations by white women against non-white men should be discounted, or that the perpetrators ought not to be punished at all...
Old 17 February 2017, 12:36 PM

Default Civil defamation suit against Bill Cosby thrown out

A federal judge in Massachusetts has dismissed a defamation lawsuit against comedian Bill Cosby, although he still faces criminal charges in Pennsylvania.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/defamati...minal-charges/