snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 18 June 2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Not to reopen the tipping debate but I did wonder afterwards if you need to tip when you are already paying a delivery charge, but I wondered that after I had already included the tip in the total.
IMO, if the delivery charge is for the business (which I believe most are) then you should tip on top of that since the driver is getting nothing extra.
Old 19 June 2018, 02:32 AM

Baseball

Years ago I did delivery (beer money for university). The delivery business was not the restaurant. So, the delivery charge was for the delivery business, not the food business. I would deliver for sub shops, sandwich shops, Chinese food or any other restaurant that did not have their own drivers.

I did not stay long because it was not good money at all and I'd get yelled at if they were not happy with their food (which I had nothing to do with).

Just a data point.
Old 19 June 2018, 11:58 AM

Yow!

[QUOTE=Sue;1981121]Speaking of ordering Chinese food what I find annoying is that the place we like best will only deliver on a minimum order of $40 and that's before taxes and delivery charge.

Damn! Around here, the minimum is usually $10 and you have to live within (IIRC) a five mile radius.
Old 19 June 2018, 12:35 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Yeah, people get excited by what they can't find locally. My wife was SO happy when she got some poutine a couple of years ago, since it is just not done locally.
Exactly. Years ago I had guests ask me where the nearest Waffle House was because they'd been dying to try one and now had the chance to.

Plus sometimes a chain is the good choice for dinner. Years and years ago we were in rural Illinois and the town we stopped for the night had 2 restaurants: the local bar and Pizza Hut. Well, my dad doesn't like pizza much so we headed to the bar. Yeah, that looked like it had last been cleaned in the Eisenhower administration. Pizza Hut it was.
Old 19 June 2018, 02:23 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Exactly. Years ago I had guests ask me where the nearest Waffle House was because they'd been dying to try one and now had the chance to.
This is a good point.

When we go to the US, we often make our meal choices to satisfy our curiosity about restaurants and chains we see in American advertisements on television or through TV and movies.

I had to go to the Cheesecake Factory because of the Big Bang Theory.

My family stopped at the Cracker Barrel because of its reputation among those travelling.

I needed to take my family to a Golden Corral just to show them.

I do want to go to a Waffle House, a Sonic, a White Castle, a Big Boy and a Red Robin, all because I've seen them on TV and movies.
Old 19 June 2018, 02:36 PM

Whalephant

I can state with confidence that the highway from Alabama into the Florida Panhandle has, as is required by law, a Waffle House approximately every 10-15 miles. In case you decide to visit Fort Barrancas.
Old 19 June 2018, 02:37 PM

I spent my weekend in Canada. Although there are no chains there that I have on a list of places I want to go, I always get poutine and butter tarts as both are difficult to find in the states.
Old 19 June 2018, 02:54 PM

Canada

I was trying to think of strictly Canadian chains of the top of my head, but the only ones that came to mind were St. Hubert and the obvious Tim Horton's. I took a look at a list of Canadian chain restaurants and was actually surprised at how many I didn't realize were Canadian only. (Or with only a few shops in the US.)

Booster Juice
Swiss Chalet
East Side Mario's
Harvey's
Jack Astor's
New York Fries
Pizza Pizza (aka Canadian House of Pizza and Garbage)
Second Cup
Old 19 June 2018, 03:03 PM

Thanks for posting this, Beejtronic! Like many Canadians I am looking to avoid handing money back to the US if I possibly can (not because of the trade issues so much as the migrant children issue) and one small way to do this for me is to patronize local and Canada based businesses!
Old 19 June 2018, 03:17 PM

Booster Juice is actually pretty common in Oregon malls. Not that Oregon has a lot of malls bu still.
Old 19 June 2018, 04:06 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
I was trying to think of strictly Canadian chains of the top of my head, but the only ones that came to mind were St. Hubert and the obvious Tim Horton's. I took a look at a list of Canadian chain restaurants and was actually surprised at how many I didn't realize were Canadian only. (Or with only a few shops in the US.)

Booster Juice
Swiss Chalet
East Side Mario's
Harvey's
Jack Astor's
New York Fries
Second Cup
I'm amused by the fact that Swiss Chalet and New York Fries are Canadian. (And I assume East Side Mario's isn't named after the east side of anything in Canada.) I guess it's like the Arizona tea company being based in New York.

Pizza Pizza is interesting, as "Pizza! Pizza!" is a slogan for the American Little Caesars chain.
Old 19 June 2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I spent my weekend in Canada. Although there are no chains there that I have on a list of places I want to go, I always get poutine and butter tarts as both are difficult to find in the states.
I take it you already have Tim Horton's in your part of the US.
Old 19 June 2018, 04:57 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I'm amused by the fact that Swiss Chalet and New York Fries are Canadian.
I tried telling my Swiss boss when I was deployed to the Golan about Swiss Chalet.

She could not get her mind around the fact that it had nothing to do with Switzerland and that other than the name, there was nothing Swiss about the food (it is a rotisserie chicken restaurant).

Then I pointed out the Swiss Forest on the shores of the Sea of Galilee that had nothing to do with Switzerland (it was named for a settler whose last name was Swiss).

And for the record, Harvey's is my favourite burger place.
Old 19 June 2018, 05:10 PM

The one that really surprised me was East Side Mario's (boom bada boom bada bing).

My current favourite hamburger place is A&W but I guess it's going to be Harvey's for me for awhile!
Old 19 June 2018, 05:46 PM

United States

I'm reminded of the time I went to a restaurant IN Switzerland that was the equivalent of, say, Applebee's or TGI Friday's, but not a chain as far as I could tell. I ordered the "rosti burger", which was a very stacked hamburger that included a potato pancake. It came with a little American flag on top. (This might have been because my friend and I asked for English menus, but I think it was standard.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
My current favourite hamburger place is A&W but I guess it's going to be Harvey's for me for awhile!
You still have an A&W? I love that root beer from the tap!
Old 19 June 2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post

You still have an A&W? I love that root beer from the tap!
A&W was really big when I was growing up but then seemed to disappear. IIRC there was one A&W in Cornwall (a town not particularly close to Ottawa) and that was it. Then a few years ago it seemed to enjoy a renaissance, at least in my part of Canada anyhow. Now they're booming - well as booming as most fast food places are anyhow. I'd assumed they were popular in the US? Is it a regional thing?
Old 19 June 2018, 06:20 PM

A&W in Canada is a separate company that's doing much better than the US counterpart. The're fewer and farther between these days, although they may be on the brink of the same kind of turnaround as they had in Canada.
Old 19 June 2018, 09:47 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
...a list of Canadian chain restaurants and was actually surprised at how many I didn't realize were Canadian only. (Or with only a few shops in the US.)

Booster Juice
Swiss Chalet
East Side Mario's
Harvey's
Jack Astor's
New York Fries
Second Cup
Do I detect a Judge John Hodgman listener in that list?

I ran across a Jack Astor's and multiple Swiss Chalets, but didn't eat at either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I take it you already have Tim Horton's in your part of the US.
They put a lot of Tim Hortons in my city several years back, they have been closing them in the last couple of years, but we have a couple that remain.

I think they're okay, though I have to admit one of the best breakfasts of my life was at a Tim Hortons. It was after 10 days of meditation where my diet consisted of oatmeal for breakfast, vegetarian stir fry for lunch and tea for dinner so that might have influenced my feelings in the moment.
Old 19 June 2018, 10:59 PM

A&W is pretty common around here. They mostly seem to be attached to gas stations.
Old 20 June 2018, 12:02 PM

I know of at least 2 A&Ws building in my area, and I already have 3 that are close by, 1 within walking distance and 2 within 15 minute drive
None of them are attached to gas stations...
They actually seem to pop up along with Lone Star Texas Grill restaurants, these days