snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 27 July 2012, 06:27 PM

Icon22

My husband the Miracle Whip fiend would faint at such blasphemous use of this product!
Old 27 July 2012, 09:17 PM

I have fine hair, but a lot of it; the key is apparently pinning the treated and untreated scetions, kind of like a professional hair colorist does.

To be honest I don't pin my hair at all, but I am willing to spend a much longer time doing it. I am okay with missing a small louse or two or a nit because it takes them a certain number of days to be able to lay.

I go over my entire head several times and concentrate on the area around the ears because you're going to get most of the nits there.

I have noticed that if you have an itchy area that springs up while you are doing this there is usally a louse either right there or in the area.

If you don't pin you will have to move your hair to get the sections underneath.
Old 28 July 2012, 07:47 AM

I finally rid DD1 of a particularly stubborn course of lice by leaving conditioner in her hair and going through it with a flea comb every 2 days till they were gone. I found the flea comb more effective than any of the lice combs I had gotten because of the metal teeth and better grip. I'm not sure if it was because of the relative thinness of her hair or just luck but I didn't really have to pin it or anything, just comb it a lot.
Old 28 July 2012, 04:26 PM

The lice comb I linked to has long metal teeth and rubber grip strips for grip. It truly does do an awesome job. I have rid myself of all lice in one treatment many times. It removes nits as well. You can actually see them on the teeth of the comb. Also the ends are rounded so you can go right down to the scalp and it doesn't hurt. Really, I can't speak highly enough of it. I haven't had lice in 2 years (knock on wood) and yet I know exactly where that comb is. I would never lose it.

ETA: They do recommend you go through your hair every two days. I'm simply saying that when I did that nothing came out, everything was gone.

Here it is again, and it looks like it's available on Amazon in Canada and the US.
Old 28 July 2012, 05:25 PM

Huh. That is cool, I couldn't find anything even remotely resembling that when I needed it!
Old 28 July 2012, 05:28 PM

Yep, that's the one I have.