snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 21 June 2013, 06:38 PM

Default What happened when I started a feminist society at school

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...minist-society

Spoiler: it doesn't go well.

Quote:
I decided to set up a feminist society at my school, which has previously been named one of "the best schools in the country", to try to tackle these issues. However, this was more difficult than I imagined as my all-girls school was hesitant to allow the society. After a year-long struggle, the feminist society was finally ratified.

What I hadn't anticipated on setting up the feminist society was a massive backlash from the boys in my wider peer circle. They took to Twitter and started a campaign of abuse against me. I was called a "feminist bitch", accused of "feeding [girls] bullshit", and in a particularly racist comment was told "all this feminism bull won't stop uncle Sanjit from marrying you when you leave school".
Oh, and I particularly LOVE the school's response at the end of the article that basically proves her point that they're not supportive of their students:

Quote:
"Altrincham Grammar School for Girls has supported Jinan in setting up the society, providing administrative assistance, guidance and proactively suggesting opportunities to help members to explore this issue which they feel passionately about.

"We are committed to protecting the safety and welfare of our students, which extends to their safety online. We consider very carefully any societies that the school gives its name and support to.

"As such, we will take steps to recommend students remove words or images that they place online that could compromise their safety or that of other students at the school."
"It's your fault those boys are harassing you."
Old 21 June 2013, 07:21 PM

The response from the school must have gotten chopped off as it left off the part where the school also takes action against students who "compromise the safety" of other students.

"Altrincham Grammar School for Girls has supported Jinan in setting up the society, providing administrative assistance, guidance and proactively suggesting opportunities to help members to explore this issue which they feel passionately about.

"We are committed to protecting the safety and welfare of our students, which extends to their safety online. We consider very carefully any societies that the school gives its name and support to.

"As such, we will take steps to recommend students remove words or images that they place online that could compromise their safety or that of other students at the school."
Old 21 June 2013, 10:08 PM

Ugh. I've never been a fan of "the terrorists win" arguments, but I'd say this is one situation where it actually applies.

ETA:
I do wish they hadn't limited themselves to female signholders. I don't know if it would've made a difference, but it might've helped drive the point home that feminism is good for society as a whole if they'd thrown a few guys in there.

But then, maybe they just couldn't find any who would have given their support.

Last edited by Tom o' Bedlam; 21 June 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 21 June 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom o' Bedlam View Post
ETA:
I do wish they hadn't limited themselves to female signholders. I don't know if it would've made a difference, but it might've helped drive the point home that feminism is good for society as a whole if they'd thrown a few guys in there.

But then, maybe they just couldn't find any who would have given their support.
I'd like to think that they only limited themselves to female signholders because they were at an all-girls school.

http://whoneedsfeminism.tumblr.com/ does have guys involved.
Old 22 June 2013, 09:30 AM

The fact they were at an all-girls' school does make me wonder where the male "peers" making these comments came from. I doubt they would have got anything like that response from the boys in a mixed school - unless things are much worse than 30 years ago. Mind you, with the internet, they probably are.
Old 24 June 2013, 12:10 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. If it's an all girl school, who are these male "peers' she talks about and if they are not schoolmates but "friends" why be friends with them any longer?

Old 24 June 2013, 12:45 PM

She's talking about "the boys in my wider peer circle" - probably male friends* of her, and male friends of (male and female) friends of her. Even girls in an all-girl-school will have male friends from the neighbourhood or from activities outside of school. While she can "unfriend" her own male peers over sexist comments, she can't do much about about her friends' friends.

*Since most of the harassing took place online, these "friends" might be friends in the facebook sense of the word, e.g. contacts.