snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Glurge Gallery

Old 26 June 2010, 02:59 AM

Icon95 One of Those Days

Did you ever have one of those days when everything seems to go wrong -- and sometimes the wrong lasts more than a few days?

It all started when we were driving home from our holidays on Manitoulin Island. Approximately twenty kilometers from where we stayed, I noticed that as I was stepping on the gas, the accelerator did not move, and I couldn't make the car go any faster than ten kilometers per hour. I slowly pulled over to the side of the highway, and my husband opened the hood to try and find out what the matter was. Finding nothing, we decided to drive, very slowly, to the next town. We tried desperately to call our friends on the cell phone, but were unable to because we were in an area without any service.

Totally frustrated and not sure what would happen next, we finally reached the town, which had a gas station and a store. We pulled into the parking lot and wondered what we were going to do next. We noticed that one of the couples with whom we were holidaying was at the store. They offered to drive back to the site, where our other friends were staying, to let them know what happened and to ask if they knew of any service stations that would be able to fix our car.

After a lot of driving around and making quite a few telephone calls, we finally ended up leaving the car on the island and heading back home with one of our other friends. Our next question was how to get the car back home from the island. Our friends, who stayed behind, waited until the car was fixed and then drove down in two cars.

It is during such times that we become totally frustrated and anxious, and we wonder why this is happening to us. Now, as I reflect back, I have come to realize that there were a lot of good things that happened. First of all, we were not too far away from our camp site. Secondly, our friends "just happened" to be at the same gas station that we pulled into. Thirdly, we were able to get back home with another couple. And last but not least, our car was driven back, and we did not have to make that extra trip up north to bring our car back home. Everything worked out in the long run!
Old 26 June 2010, 05:22 AM

Well, it's missing a praise Jeebus for that, but it's not so bad actually. "Try to look on the bright side" - who can argue with that?
Old 26 June 2010, 07:38 AM

Buy breakdown cover you muffin.

You've got AA friend.

Old 27 June 2010, 04:39 AM

This glurge isn't terrible, other than being horribly dull. I got about halfway through it and started wondering, "Is anything interesting going to happen in this story."

And nope, nothing did.
Old 28 June 2010, 04:56 PM

Tantrum

I got to work late 'cause my alarm clock was busted
The boss chewed me out and everybody's disgusted
It's one of those days!
Ever have one of those days?

The bank called me up and said that I'm overdrawn
Some freaks are burning crosses out on my front lawn
And I can't believe that all the Cheetos are gone
It's just one of those days! Just one of those days!

--Weird Al song.
Old 11 July 2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Approximately twenty kilometers from where we stayed, I noticed that as I was stepping on the gas, the accelerator did not move, and I couldn't make the car go any faster than ten kilometers per hour.
You noticed that, did you? Good observation.

Quote:
... my husband opened the hood to try and find out what the matter was. Finding nothing ...
Yep, there's your problem. No engine.

Quote:
We tried desperately to call our friends on the cell phone, but were unable to because we were in an area without any service.
Can you hear me now?

Quote:
Now, as I reflect back, I have come to realize that there were a lot of good things that happened. First of all, we were not too far away from our camp site. Secondly, our friends "just happened" to be at the same gas station that we pulled into. Thirdly, we were able to get back home with another couple. And last but not least, our car was driven back, and we did not have to make that extra trip up north to bring our car back home. Everything worked out in the long run!
Uh huh. Okay. Yesterday I went to have a peanut butter sandwich but discovered we were out of butter, but then I found it had just been put on the table rather than back in the refrigerator and so I had my peanut butter sandwich after all. Isn't life funny? And by "funny" I mean, "completely pointless."
Old 12 July 2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glurge View Post
Did you ever have one of those days when everything seems to go wrong -- and sometimes the wrong lasts more than a few days?

It all started when we were driving home from our holidays on Manitoulin Island. Approximately twenty kilometers from where we stayed, I noticed that as I was stepping on the gas, the accelerator did not move, and I couldn't make the car go any faster than ten kilometers per hour. I slowly pulled over to the side of the highway, and my husband opened the hood to try and find out what the matter was. Finding nothing, we decided to drive, very slowly, to the next town. We tried desperately to call our friends on the cell phone, but were unable to because we were in an area without any service.

Totally frustrated and not sure what would happen next, we finally reached the town, which had a gas station and a store. We pulled into the parking lot and wondered what we were going to do next. We noticed that one of the couples with whom we were holidaying was at the store. They offered to drive back to the site, where our other friends were staying, to let them know what happened and to ask if they knew of any service stations that would be able to fix our car.
After they were gone, we noticed the store clerk - a teenager with a kind of an empty stare and strange movements. Thinking back, we realised that the whole town seemd devestated and empty when driving through... Only one man we had seen, sitting outside the hardware store on a bench.

Walking back to him, we were shocked: his throat was ripped apart by what looked like human teeth! With the sun going down on us, suddenly people appeared from out of the houses around, walking slowly but steadily with the same strange movements the clerk had shown. Realising there was something badly wrong here, we headed for the hardware store's door...

Don "while typing that, the wind slammed my door" Enrico
Old 05 August 2010, 11:56 PM

I have to admit, I envy someone whose life is so calm and uneventful that this kind of day merits writing about.