snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 13 July 2017, 12:41 AM

Someone used the wrong form of "its" in a document I was reading at work.
Old 13 July 2017, 03:04 AM

LTTAM: On of my neighbors is smoking in a place where the smoke is getting sucked inside by my AC unit. I don't know who it is*, but this is the third time this week and I'm calling my landlord tomorrow.

*I strongly suspect one particular neighbor but have no proof.
Old 13 July 2017, 04:09 PM

Baseball

It is entirely a "little thing" but it has been growing on me for years.

It's these "You've been doing this wrong for years" lists.

If I'm being told that I'm doing something wrong for years, I want there to actually be a right and wrong way to do things. I don't think a life hack using a dust pan to get water out of a sink to a bucket on the floor means I've been using that dust pan wrong all these years. Likewise, when I open a banana, I don't care what end I open first, the banana ends up consumed and the peel thrown on the ground for someone to slip on. How is opening it from the top wrong?

It started a few years ago here on the board where a video was posted saying that we had been adjusting our side mirrors wrong for years. Then proceeded to give a method whereby a large chunk of the blind spots were eliminated. But, I could no longer back my vehicle up, or estimate my close clearances in parking lots. So, I don't think I was adjusting my mirrors wrong, considering I do shoulder checks.

But lately, every life hack has come out and been listed as doing it wrong. I'm all for life hacks, but they are not right/wrong situations.

It may seem petty, but it is a little thing that annoys me.
Old 13 July 2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Lkewise, when I open a banana, I don't care what end I open first, the banana ends up consumed and the peel thrown on the ground for someone to slip on. How is opening it from the top wrong?

Usually, if I've been doing something differently from a life hack, there's a reason I'm doing it that way. There are exceptions -- I really didn't know about those little tabs on the ends of plastic wrap/foil/waxed paper boxes -- but not that many.
Old 13 July 2017, 04:37 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
There are exceptions -- I really didn't know about those little tabs on the ends of plastic wrap/foil/waxed paper boxes -- but not that many.
This is the one where I will conceded that I have been doing it wrong all these years.
Old 13 July 2017, 04:37 PM

A life hack AIUI, is doing it "wrong". It is a non-standard way of doing something that has a potential benefit other than the intended or designed one. Using the little tabs on the side of the box isn't a hack, that's the proper use for them.
Old 13 July 2017, 04:38 PM

It just occurred to me how often my reason for doing things differently boils down to having cats.
Old 13 July 2017, 04:41 PM

Like the direction of hanging toilet paper? Normally I'd do over since that puts the dangling end closer to the sitter but that direction makes it unwind when a cat plays with it.
Old 13 July 2017, 04:47 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
A life hack AIUI, is doing it "wrong". It is a non-standard way of doing something that has a potential benefit other than the intended or designed one.
Never looked at it this way. But I also am of the adage, "if it is stupid and it works, it isn't stupid." I'm not into the whole right/wrong thing.

Quote:
Using the little tabs on the side of the box isn't a hack, that's the proper use for them.
But this is frequently found on the "Things you have been doing wrong for years" lists. And I have been doing it wrong for years.
Old 14 July 2017, 03:41 AM

There were many things that annoyed me today.

It seems last night I left my car unlocked (which I never do) and that was the night that the guy decided to steal stuff out of unlocked cars in my apartment complex parking lot, and the police won't take a report over the phone, and they made me wait for them for three hours tonight to give the report. All I had in there that was worth taking (apparently) was the GPS and some change, but I am bothered on principle and on behalf of my neighbors who also had stuff stolen. And I've had a lot of unusual expenses lately so I had been hoping that my extreme frugality over the past few months was finally going to show up in my bank accounts and I could relax and buy some things I want rather than can't live without, but now I have to buy a GPS instead of that insulated lunch jar system I had my eye on and it is not fair. Whine.

Also, I was invited to a luncheon today and they promised they'd have vegan options for me, which consisted of a small sandwich with roasted vegetables on it (peppers, mushrooms, and squash) and potato chips and soda. I had two glasses of ginger ale just to get enough calories. Meanwhile even the green salad had cheese in it and I wondered why they couldn't just pass the cheese for people who wanted cheese. This seems to come up rather frequently, the cheese invasion.

And I complained about this to a friend who was not at said luncheon and she said I was being too hard on people to expect them to serve cheese separately, and that just bothered me even more.

Maybe these are First World Problems, now that I think of it, but the thread for those is closed.
Old 14 July 2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Someone used the wrong form of "its" in a document I was reading at work.
Someone on Facebook made a comment about "grammar nazis" and I just had to tell them it was actually "grammar Nazis"
Old 14 July 2017, 07:23 AM

Actually it's spelled "knotsies".
Old 14 July 2017, 09:35 AM

France

And on the same topic : people who switch "of" and "have" as if it were the same word.

LTTAM : Websites that either can't work properly or simply cease to exist on the web browser I use (Opera). This has happened recently with Not Always Right. To read it, I have to use Firefox. Apparently, their security protocols are no longer compatible with Opera.
Old 14 July 2017, 02:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Meanwhile even the green salad had cheese in it and I wondered why they couldn't just pass the cheese for people who wanted cheese.
Clearly, they have no lactose intolerant attendees. Or at least, no lactose intolerant attendees who were entitled to salad.

I like cheese on salad, but I don't do salad dressing, so I almost never have salad at these events. Just this week, I attended a lunch where we were given hamburgers and our choice of cole slaw or potato salad--neither of which I eat unless I'm the one making it. No green salad, no chips, no raw veggies as alternatives (they did have a vegetarian option, which I did not inspect).

Seaboe
Old 14 July 2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post
And on the same topic : people who switch "of" and "have" as if it were the same word.
Blame contractions. In many parts of the US, the contraction of "have" in should've, could've and would've is pronounced the same as "of".
Old 14 July 2017, 02:42 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Anyways, I put on the spare and... No steering problems. I guess it was the tire (or the rim) that was causing the "steering" problems. I'm just amazed it took so long to give out. Fingers crossed it's not the rim that's jacked up: if it isn't, this might almost constitute a little thing that makes me happy. I just have to find the time to take it in for a tire change out...
I know you were all eagerly awaiting resolution to this saga: changing out the tire did the trick. No other problems in the steering train. Or whatever the steering equivalent is to the drive train.
Old 14 July 2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermor View Post

LTTAM : Websites that either can't work properly or simply cease to exist on the web browser I use (Opera). This has happened recently with Not Always Right. To read it, I have to use Firefox. Apparently, their security protocols are no longer compatible with Opera.
Ditto, and add apart and a part to the list.
As in "You are all apart of my family"

Old 14 July 2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
Ditto, and add apart and a part to the list.
As in "You are all apart of my family"

Someone typed something like that once and since I'm a smartass I replied "I'll say I'm apart from it! I wish I was even more apart from it!" but they didn't get it ...
Old 14 July 2017, 06:06 PM

Starting next week the grocery store will start selling low-THC marijuana (High-CDB) cigarettes, which are legal. Some of the restaurants and cafes are bent out of shape because 1) some of their customers don't like the smell of marijuana and might get offended and 2) the restaurants and cafes MIGHT have to determine if the cannabis cigarettes are the legal type or not.

Of course the easy solution for the concerned restaurants and cafes to just ban smoking. It seems that's not possible because they still want to be smoker friendly.

It's not a first world problem, because I think the rest of the first world has figured out smoking's not healthy. Switzerland is sometimes stuck in the dark ages.
Old 14 July 2017, 06:32 PM

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Blame contractions. In many parts of the US, the contraction of "have" in should've, could've and would've is pronounced the same as "of".
Maybe, but schools are there to correct bad spellings. Or at least, they should be.
Closed Thread