snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 11 July 2017, 02:21 PM

Glasses

The government of the city of Seattle.

They institute a $15 minimum wage. A report (based on data collected from employees and employers affected by the change) determines that this is not working as intended, and that it is easily fixed. Seattle immediately commissions a study to prove it is TOO working (so there!)

They decide to narrow most arterials by eliminating some on street parking, replacing it with either bike lanes or dedicated bus lanes (depending on the situation). In some places, they add turn lanes and in others deliberately remove them. Then, they approve the building of multistory apartment buildings without parking (not merely less than 1 slot per apartment, but with no slots at all).

In connection with the above, they propose a particular arterial for a "road diet", look at the results of a survey that indicates that 70% of the people who live on or near the arterial are against the changes (which: turn the road into 2 lanes for its entire length, eliminate turn lanes, and prevent buses from pulling to the curb to discharge passengers), rub their hands together in glee and say "Okay then, let's do this!"

They pass an ordinance instituting a city-wide income tax, even though it's unconstitutional.Just as bad (from my point of view), they do not set out with any specificity what they're going to do with the hypothetical money this will raise.

They pass an ordinance taxing sugared soda at 1.8 cents per ounce (but not diet, even though a tax on sugared soda falls disproportionately on the poor). Again, they do not set out with any specificity what they intend to do with the money.

They pass an ordinance giving a company permission to put rental bikes in the central core of the city; when people fail to rent the bikes (except, apparently, to ride them downhill), the city spends more than $1M to take over the project. When it continues to fail, they initially decide to spend even more money to replace the existing bikes with electric bikes in the hopes that people will actually ride them back up the hills. Luckily, someone with sense prevails and instead, they dismantle the program.

So maybe this isn't such a little thing after all...

Seaboe
Old 11 July 2017, 02:28 PM

Imagine that, tourists to downtown Seattle aren't taking advantage of rental bikes the way visitors in Columbus do. I can't imagine why.
Old 11 July 2017, 03:02 PM

Glasses

They want to be like Amsterdam & Copenhagen, but refuse to acknowledge a major feature of both cities: that they're flat.

Seaboe
Old 11 July 2017, 04:47 PM

United Kingdom

I quite enjoyed the availability of the Barclays bikes during a trip to London a few years back. Also flat.

ETA: Oh, right, but a LTTAM brought me here:

I got a flat tire yesterday. I didn't notice right away because my car has been having steering trouble (wobbly steering) for almost six months now. I keep meaning to get it checked out, but I just don't have time or energy: it was just a slight vibration of the steering wheel. Changing the flat out for the spare at the end of the day (after work) I realized this was no mere puncture: significant portions of the tread were worn away, even exposing the wire mesh in places. I only drove a short distance on the flat (so probably didn't get that way after it went flat), so I figured the steering trouble may have put too much stress on the front tires and one of them finally gave.

Anyways, I put on the spare and... No steering problems. I guess it was the tire (or the rim) that was causing the "steering" problems. I'm just amazed it took so long to give out. Fingers crossed it's not the rim that's jacked up: if it isn't, this might almost constitute a little thing that makes me happy. I just have to find the time to take it in for a tire change out...

Last edited by ASL; 11 July 2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11 July 2017, 04:54 PM

The rentals do a booming business in downtown Columbus, but we're also quite flat (except for a man-made hill at the north end of downtown).
Old 11 July 2017, 05:08 PM

Icon106

I have a personal Pandora station, and it annoys me that sometimes new artists I add to it take far longer to get played than others.

I added Alan Parsons Project to it and it was weeks before I heard them on Pandora.

I added Midnight Oil yesterday and one of the first songs played was Beds Are Burning.

Where's the love for APP, Pandora?
Old 11 July 2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
They institute a $15 minimum wage. A report (based on data collected from employees and employers affected by the change) determines that this is not working as intended, and that it is easily fixed. Seattle immediately commissions a study to prove it is TOO working (so there!)
But the report is based on a flawed methodology. It didn't include large employers like Walmart, Mcdonalds, other fast food places. A report from UC Berkeley found the opposite results. https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...-wage-disaster

So maybe the city should study it.
Old 11 July 2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
I got a flat tire yesterday. I didn't notice right away because my car has been having steering trouble (wobbly steering) for almost six months now.

Anyways, I put on the spare and... No steering problems. I guess it was the tire (or the rim) that was causing the "steering" problems. I'm just amazed it took so long to give out.
It's probably all related. It might be an alignment or a suspension problem. It's just going to happen again if you don't get it fixed.
Old 11 July 2017, 08:30 PM

Perhaps, perhaps... Anyways, it's clearly specifically linked to the front right wheel and doesn't seem to be happening at all with the spare. So there's that. I would hope that at least localizes it to the rim or the tread, but I may be too optimistic. It's not often i can be accused of being overly optimistic...
Old 11 July 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Perhaps, perhaps... Anyways, it's clearly specifically linked to the front right wheel and doesn't seem to be happening at all with the spare. So there's that. I would hope that at least localizes it to the rim or the tread, but I may be too optimistic. It's not often i can be accused of being overly optimistic...
Tires can have all kinds of faults that can cause steering wierdness - belts coming delaminated, flat spots, etc. Similarly if it's not inflated properly you can have handling issues. Obviously if your steering problem goes away when you get a new tire on that wheel you might have just had a bad or failing tire.

Where was the old tire worn down to the cables? All across the tire, or on just the inside or outside edge of the tire? This is usually a good sign as to whether your alignment is out of whack. I remember one time my mother was complaining a bit about how her Honda was driving, and when I went out to look at it one of the rear tires was completely bald across one half of the tire - she'd bumped a curb or something and knocked the alignment out. On the plus side something like just getting the alignment set is usually fairly inexpensive, unless you've got broken parts somewhere.
Old 12 July 2017, 02:03 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
What's a reverse vampire? Do they give blood transfusions?
I suppose I should stop with all The Simpsons references, but I'm afraid it's hard for me to do so. Large portions of my brain consists of Simpsons quotes.
Old 12 July 2017, 02:31 AM

Icon86 Yuk

Oh for.....

When you use a public toilet, FLUSH the damn thing!
Old 12 July 2017, 02:31 AM

LTTAY: A message forum I'm on has been down for over a week. It finally got put back up today- apparently it was hacked and they decided to migrate it over to a different server thanks to issues with their old server while trying to restore it.

It worked for me for about an hour, but now it won't let me post (I keep getting an error message saying that my session has timed out) and it won't let me log out on my computer or log in using a different computer or web browser. So I have no way to use the forum and no way to contact the forum to let them know that the issue exists.
Old 12 July 2017, 04:02 AM

crocoduck_hunter, I had a similar problem on another board that I post on. I managed to get back on due to the luck that somebody had sent me a message and the page to get at the message had a different sign on box that works, so while on I asked the question: and it turns out that the trick, at least on that board, is to log on not by the obvious box in the upper right corner, but by a much less obvious link in the bar a little further down the page.

I don't know whether it's the same host, but you might try hunting around the page for other possible log on links.
Old 12 July 2017, 04:52 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it when I get back to my computer.
Old 12 July 2017, 05:39 AM

No longer within the edit window and nope, that didn't work. But thanks anyway.
Old 12 July 2017, 06:25 AM

Ponder

Maybe find the cookie(s) for the forum and delete them? That might at least have the effect of logging you out, depending on how the forum works.
Old 12 July 2017, 03:17 PM

The forum's back down again this morning. Last night they said something to the effect of knowing about the issue and working to fix it.

Just have to wait and see, I guess.
Old 12 July 2017, 09:30 PM

My upstairs neighbours are on their balcony talking very loudly, which is mildly annoying but obviously well within their rights. The bigger annoyance is that from the sounds of it there's about 6 people having 3 different conversations all at the same time.
Old 12 July 2017, 10:30 PM

Bang Head

Okay, after clearing my cookies and restarting my computer, I'm again able to use the forum I was having issues with.

But now I'm getting a 403 Forbidden message when I try to log into my DeviantArt account.
Closed Thread