snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 15 June 2017, 07:49 PM

That wasn't my response to your comment, it was my response to Beach's comment. That's why I quoted Beach, not you. :-)

My response to your comment was (and remains): Without going into details, I can see how it would make a difference. For one thing, see my comment above about there being grates over the sink drains. And that is as detailed as I intend to get. :-)
Old 15 June 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I don't understand how coming from a place with a poor sewage system would lead to someone using the sink instead of the toilet.
Possibly, as I think somebody else has already suggested, because of the toilet in places with poor sewage systems not being anything somebody would want to put their face next to. (And possibly the sinks have a different drain design.)

Though I've certainly seen public toilets -- and a very occasional private one -- in the USA that I wouldn't want to put my face next to, either; and some of them were connected to a USA-standard sewage setup. And not all public toilets have a wastebasket easily usable for the purpose; some of them have relatively narrow entry slots.

-- the huge strawberries in the grocery store are generally entirely tasteless. (So, possibly, is a rapid shift between the previous topic of discussion and this one; but I don't want to make two posts of it.) What's annoying me right now is that although the local strawberries are starting to come on all the ones I've been able to find so far are also nearly tasteless. I really wish I hadn't lost mine last year due to weather, I'd be making a mint right now if I had some good ones.

Although, come to think of it, some of the local ones may be tasteless due not to being varieties bred for shipping, long storage, and size rather than for flavor, but due to the same reason my planting this year is also horribly behind: too much rain, not enough sun.
Old 15 June 2017, 10:44 PM

I don't think our strawberries ship anywhere which is why they are so tasty.
Old 15 June 2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I don't think our strawberries ship anywhere which is why they are so tasty.
We may have to come there if we want fresh picked. Fields north of the cities here were decimated by hail last Sunday.
Old 16 June 2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
-- the huge strawberries in the grocery store are generally entirely tasteless.
I remember when I was a kid there were tiny little wild strawberries growing all around the edge of the field behind my house, and they were the best. A lot of effort for a tiny bite, but very good. I don't know for sure if they're objectively that much better or just filtered through youthful inexperience. Not readily available to experiment with. They grow dozens of different varieties of strawberry crops locally, so at least some of them taste good, but it's hard to know in advance if it's going to be the good kind or a tasteless one. It can go either way.
Old 16 June 2017, 02:22 AM

We used to always pick our own strawberries when I was a kid (and often still do). I know that even normally very tasty varieties can be taste-free if they get too much rain too quickly.
Old 16 June 2017, 03:22 AM

Getting over watered really destroys a strawberry's flavor. All the rain we've had around here in the last month has meant that this year's strawberry crop has been a lot less tasty than usual.
Old 16 June 2017, 03:28 AM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I can also see why someone doesn't want to walk into the public restroom and encounter someone throwing up in a sink.
Confession: When I was pregnant, I would sometimes get hit so hard so fast with nausea I barely had time to make it to a sink, let alone a stall. It was embarrassing and awful, but not intentional. No one (that I knew of) ever walked in, and I always cleaned up, scrubbing down with hand soap and paper towels, rinsing, wiping down, etc. Still awful.
Old 16 June 2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Getting over watered really destroys a strawberry's flavor. All the rain we've had around here in the last month has meant that this year's strawberry crop has been a lot less tasty than usual.
I have been trying to grow strawberries on my balcony for years. Dad bought me a few a plant a few years ago and all it did was send out runners. So Dad got me some from a house he and Mum were house-sitting at (after getting permission) so far all they have done is sent out runners as well.

I also have no luck with my tomato plants either, though one has a flower at the moment.
Old 16 June 2017, 12:10 PM

Dasla, too much nitrogen, and/or a lack of other nutrients, can cause vegetative growth with little or no flowering.

Many strawberry varieties are day-length dependent, and will only flower for a short time in the spring. There are day-neutral varieties. There are also varieties, both of strawberries and tomatoes, that are better suited for growing in pots (which is what I assume you're doing on your balcony.) -- I don't want to suggest specific varieties because you're in such a different part of the world; you want something suited for your area.
Old 16 June 2017, 01:17 PM

Thanks for that thorny locust. I may get a soil testing kit and do some research about what is required. It will brush up both my science degree and my partially completed library qualification (for the internet research). I am also wondering if I may have to repot as I have had some of the other plants for a few years. I did get a few good crops of cherry tomatoes before the plants died.
Old 16 June 2017, 02:10 PM

Glasses

I don't eat that many strawberries at a time. Usually only a handful. This makes buying them from fruit stands a little problematical, as the ones I have most access two sell very ripe berries by the pint or quart. I can often (but not always) get through a pint before they start going bad; I can rarely get through a quart.

I have hopes for the strawberry plant that invaded my yard from my neighbor's yard. I got some really good berries from it last year, and it looked to be setting this year, too. Now I just have to hope the birds & slugs didn't beat me to them.

Seaboe
Old 16 June 2017, 04:35 PM

My wife posted a picture on Facebook of our 5 year old daughter dying yarn, while only wearing shorts. It was reported as offensive and removed by Facebook due to the nudity. Now my wife is wondering who would report a photo of a topless 5 year old, and if they would have if it had been a photo of our son instead.
Old 16 June 2017, 04:51 PM

Ugh. Dfresh, that's ridiculous.
Old 16 June 2017, 06:34 PM

Icon02

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Now my wife is wondering who would report a photo of a topless 5 year old, and if they would have if it had been a photo of our son instead.
Either a prude or a perv. Reminds me of a news story I heard a few years ago about a woman that was defacing Renoir (IIRC) paintings because some of them showed female breasts.
Old 16 June 2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I did get a few good crops of cherry tomatoes before the plants died.
Some varieties of tomatoes are determinates: they grow to a given size (different for different varieties), set their crop and ripen it over a short period of time, and then they're done.

If you want long-term production from the same tomato plant, you want indeterminate varieties, which keep on growing and setting fruit until something kills them (around here, usually frost, but accumulated disease organisms will do it too.) As most indeterminates eventually get quite tall, though, I don't know how well they do in pots; though with a large enough pot and a trellis I expect there are some that will work.

IME, indeterminates tend to have better flavor; but there are a whole lot of things that affect tomato flavor, and you pretty much have to experiment to find out what tastes best under your growing conditions.

Last edited by thorny locust; 16 June 2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: to and too are not the same word
Old 16 June 2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
My wife posted a picture on Facebook of our 5 year old daughter dying yarn, while only wearing shorts. It was reported as offensive and removed by Facebook due to the nudity. Now my wife is wondering who would report a photo of a topless 5 year old, and if they would have if it had been a photo of our son instead.
A few years ago I was at a park by a lake and there was a little girl, probably 5 or younger, playing in the water wearing only shorts. I have to admit a felt a little bit awkward. I mean, I know logically there's no difference between a 5 year old girl's chest and a 5 year old boy's chest (And now that I think about it for all I know it might have been a boy with long hair), and I don't believe there was anything wrong with it, but it's just a lifetime of living in a society that says girls' chests should be covered up.
Old 16 June 2017, 08:47 PM

I've been searching for a pillow for years. I'm very pillow-particular, and have never found a good place to lay my head. I like a good soft, heavy pillow, but could never find one I liked.

Until Monday. A Royal Velvet brand luxury down-alternative gel pillow. $45, buy one get one for a penny. Perfect pillow, fantastic deal.

But I can't spare $45 right now.

Old 16 June 2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
it's just a lifetime of living in a society that says girls' chests should be covered up.
I hung out with a lot of casual nudists in my twenties. It got rid of a lot of those reflexes.

There is still a part of my head that says going around with half of one's butt hanging out isn't right; but it seems to have become quite common, and the rest of my head just reminds that bit that if it were the entire butt that were naked (at least on the beach) it wouldn't bother me.
Old 17 June 2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
As most indeterminates eventually get quite tall, though, I don't know how well they do in pots
Way too late to edit, but duh! I am myself growing some heirloom indeterminate tomatoes in pots, in the greenhouse, and they're doing fine.

They're in 15 gallon pots, tied up in a cage of twine up to the greenhouse purlins about 9' up, and when they get that high will start back down again. You're theoretically supposed to prune greenhouse tomatoes fairly heavily, though I don't very much as I suspect removing all that leaf surface affects the flavor; and some people do setups in which, as the top of the plant gets too high, it's let down to bring the fruit into reach.
Closed Thread