snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 27 April 2016, 06:56 PM

Default Chuck Norris warns against "chemtrails," vaccines, and Snopes. Merle Haggard did too.

(To clarify the title, Merle Haggard only raised fears about "chemtrails", not the other things. Not enough room to clarify in the title box.)

Chuck Norris recently wrote in his regular column on World Net Daily that he has found "an array of information from scientists" showing that airplane contrails are really part of a nasty conspiracy. He also suggests that vaccines are "devious" and says that Snopes.com is a "liberal fact-finding Web site."

http://mobile.wnd.com/2016/04/sky-criminals/

Norris begins by noting a line in Merle Haggard's 2011 song ""What I Hate":
Quote:
What I hate is
Looking up and seeing chem-trails in a clear blue sky today
He also writes:

Quote:
Whatever the intent or justification, and whether or not the purpose is for mass vaccinations or some other devious plot, if you don’t believe there’s some smoke-screening in the sky trails above you, I have a London Bridge to sell you in Lake Havasu City, Arizona.
He concludes by quoting a line from Prince that sounds similar to Merle Haggard's line. Prince might not have been talking about "chemtrails", though, because helicopters don't leave contrails:
Quote:
“While the*helicopter circles us, this*theory’s*getting’ deep, Think*they’re spraying chemicals over the*city while we sleep? From now on I’m*staying’ awake, you can call me a dreamer too, wake up, wake up.”
Old 27 April 2016, 07:01 PM

The Haggard lyric doesn't necessarily mean that he believed in the chemtrail conspiracy theory.
Old 27 April 2016, 08:15 PM

I've never seen a chemtrail believer even attempt to show any evidence for whatever the chemicals are supposedly doing.
Old 27 April 2016, 10:56 PM

Shifty Eyes

They're the mind control chemicals that the UN is using to brainwash Americans. Why do you hate America?
Old 27 April 2016, 11:40 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
They're the mind control chemicals that the UN is using to brainwash Americans...
I can't even get a light bulb for the bathroom. I don't think we have the budget for a plane load of chemicals.
Old 28 April 2016, 12:05 AM

Mouse

I felt I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't point you towards Swallowing the Camel's multi-part discussion of the Chemtrails myth. Spoiler alert: That particularly brand of wingnuttery seems to attract quite a few White Supremacists.
Old 28 April 2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I can't even get a light bulb for the bathroom. I don't think we have the budget for a plane load of chemicals.
There's a reason you can't get a light bulb. All the money is being spent of things they don't want anyone to know about...
Old 28 April 2016, 01:24 AM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
The Haggard lyric doesn't necessarily mean that he believed in the chemtrail conspiracy theory.
Not by itself, but he gave an interview on NPR in which he briefly espoused a "chemtrail" conspiracy theory: https://soundcloud.com/npr-weekend-e...om-june-9-2001

He says "they're spraying" and "I've got them on film".

It looks like Prince was definitely talking about "chemtrails". He gave an interview with Tavis Smiley in 2011 in which he talked about the conspiracy:

https://youtu.be/3zEiAQdyAGk?t=171

(The first upload of this video I ever saw was one that was posted a few days ago which claims Prince gave the interview the day before his death--connecting his "revelation" with what they consider his suspicious death. The version linked here says the interview was done in 2011. This video has 2,790 views, while the one incorrectly stating that the interview immediately preceded his death has 738,504. )
Old 28 April 2016, 01:30 AM

Icon202

In the same interview while discussing the song Crazy Moon, Haggard says he thinks the U.S. didn't actually send anybody to the Moon.
Old 28 April 2016, 01:40 AM

One more thing from the interview: He said he'd like to host Coast To Coast AM, which is a popular medium for UFO enthusiasts and conspiracy theory fans.
Old 28 April 2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I felt I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't point you towards Swallowing the Camel's multi-part discussion of the Chemtrails myth. Spoiler alert: That particularly brand of wingnuttery seems to attract quite a few White Supremacists.
I hadn't ever heard of Swallowing the Camel. Thanks!
Old 28 April 2016, 10:16 AM

I wasn't really questioning Haggard's belief in chemtrails, just the article's suggestion that the lyric alone was evidence he did.
Old 28 April 2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Your counter to a conspiracy theory is to point out how the government is literally keeping you in the dark...?